View Full Version : Interesting Article on Elimination Diets

meridian
07-31-10, 01:17 PM
I get these "Everyday Health" articles in my email every day and today's is about AD/HD and nutrition, so I'm sharing! (http://www.everydayhealth.com/adhd/adhd-diet.aspx?xid=nl_EverydayHealthLivingWithADHD_2010 0731)

I've never done an "elimination" diet like the Feingold.

Anybody here ever tried this approach? Success? Failure? something in between?

I'm eating less since starting Adderall and often forget to eat, so I worry a bit about blood sugar fluctuations.

Dizfriz
07-31-10, 02:40 PM
Here is the National Resource Center on ADHD write up.

One of the most publicized of the diet elimination approaches is the Feingold Diet.<sup>2</sup> This diet is based on the theory that many children are sensitive to dietary salicylates and artificially added colors, flavors, and preservatives, and that eliminating the offending substances from the diet could improve learning and behavioral problems, including AD/HD. Despite a few positive studies, most controlled studies do not support this hypothesis.<sup>3</sup> At least eight controlled studies since 1982, the latest being 1997, have found validity to elimination diets in only a small subset of children "with sensitivity to foods."<sup>4</sup> While the proportion of children with AD/HD who have food sensitivities has not been empirically established, experts believe that the percentage is small.<sup>5, 6, 7</sup> Parents who are concerned about diet sensitivity should have their children examined by a medical doctor for food allergies.
http://www.help4adhd.org/en/treatment/complementary/WWK6

Since it seems to help some it might be worth a try. I cannot see where it could hurt. Who knows, it might work.

Dizfriz

Billy79
08-03-10, 03:55 PM
I discovered that my body/brain reacted to gluten. When I eliminated this i felt much better. you could also react to kasein in milk.

its difficult to seperate placebo and actual relief though

I also must eat much proteins. (reaktive hypoglykemi)

Imnapl
08-03-10, 04:16 PM
I've never done an "elimination" diet like the Feingold.You can purchase a subscription to the feingold organization which includes access to the members bulletin board (closed to non-members), publications in the mail, and monthly newsletters. I paid around $60 to join, but I didn't renew my membership when it expired.