View Full Version : Two Sobering Articles...

APSJ
08-10-10, 08:55 PM
Mentally ill people are sent to jail more often than hospital

On average, a seriously mentally ill person in the USA is three times more likely to be incarcerated than hospitalized, a report concludes today.
In no state was a seriously mentally ill person someone with schizophrenia or bipolar disorder, for example less likely to be incarcerated than hospitalized, the report by the National Sheriffs' Association and the Treatment Advocacy Center found.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2010-05-12-Jail12_ST_N.htm

One-third of teens with ADHD delay high school degree or drop out

Teens with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) are more likely to drop out of high school or delay completing high school than other kids, a new study has found.
Researchers analyzed U.S. data and found that nearly one-third of students with the most common type of ADHD either drop out or delay high school graduation. That rate is twice that of students with no psychiatric disorder.

"Most people think that the student who is acting out, who is lying and stealing, is most likely to drop out of school. But we found that students with the combined type of ADHD the most common type have a higher likelihood of dropping out than students with disciplinary problems," study senior author Julie Schweitzer, an ADHD expert and associate professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at the University of California, Davis, said in a university news release.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2010-07-31-adhd-students_N.htm

I don't have a whole lot to say about these, but still thought they were worth posting.

I do think the former, while not dealing with ADHD, does illustrate how mental illness, unlike most or all other disabilities or medical conditions, can result in people being viewed as morally blameworthy, whether they are or not.

The latter I thought was particularly interesting because it separated out behavior and discipline from ADHD, and found the latter more predictive of not finishing high-school than the former, meaning the struggles of kids with ADHD can't be attributed to their behavior issues alone.