View Full Version : Why does Adderall sometimes make me happy and other times, depressed?

Mooo
08-11-10, 02:32 AM
Hey all I have been prescribed 30mg of Adderall XR since March.

I now take it 3-4 times a week as needed.

Now it seems, some days it will make me really confident, happy and talkative.

Other days, I become a tense, depressed shadow of who I was. It's not like I become shy...I just become down and talk less. Music sounds better but it's almost a eerie feeling..

I dont know how to describe it. It feels depressing but at the same time, almost a slightly bit enjoyable....The strange thing is that it does not happen in any pattern. I dont know what my next pill will be like

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Or know what may be causing this?

quirkyscrawler
08-11-10, 02:53 AM
Hmm, that's a good question. I have had this happen to me too, but more so when I was still getting used to the Adderall (I take IR). It could be that Adderall can cause anxiety, and maybe that makes the music seem eerie? And it could just be our mood states, which fluctuate anyway. When I was having some boy troubles I noticed my Adderall wasn't working as well as it normally did because I was feeling so much despair that it overtook any concentration that Adderall might've given me. Do you think you might any co-existing conditions?

Also, I can get anxious if I haven't eaten for too long, or stayed hydrated enough.

Mooo
08-11-10, 04:29 AM
I'm just looking around now and think it may be that I am just NOT eating. (just to increase the effects of the drug, not because the drug caused me to)

Does eating and not eating make a big difference for the rest of you guys?

sauer_kraut
08-11-10, 08:05 PM
Food and sleep are key players in keeping adderall effective. Granted, there is a whole other side of Adderall and food that you are more than likely aware of, but all that aside.. Adderall does seem to magnify whatever state of mind you may be in. This past month I have had the worst time with it because I have had so much stress. Extreme stress that actually drove me into not sleeping and not eating..my body and mind were always "on" because of the situation and its severity..Adderall keeps your "fight or flight" mode "on" which is why my stress levels elevated to the point they did. Biologically, my body did not "need" to eat or sleep anymore cause it was ready to "fight" all the time...Needless to say, I got very ill. I am still after about a week recovering from it. The situation I am in is still stressful but more manageable.

I am not trying to scare you or anyone..I am sharing something that is rather extreme due to simply my circumstance of life. I have been on Adderall for nearly two consecutive years and I always had some stress but not constant and extreme. I did very well with my meds and they did well for me. Still do but I have to take care of my body as well as my mind in any way to see that my medication can do its job. Not eating can make you feel very icky and no sleep after a while just makes you dead in the head...you cannot think. Hallucinations are not fun either..

My advice is protein foods. Make sure you hydrate too and do not forget electrolytes. Water is great but too much can cause an imbalance..caffeine can make things go downhill quickly too. Usually electrolytes are not too big of a deal to manage if you do remember to eat stuff that is healthy and are not all just carbs or sugar.. I find that eating something first thing in the morning then taking the adderall about a half hour to an hour later with plenty of water works well. Just pay attention to your body, read the forums and take care of you and the meds will too.

meridian
08-11-10, 09:14 PM
I have found that I have to take Adderall IR in a consistent manner from day-to-day to have good effect, otherwise I can roller-coaster a little bit.

Today I took my max dose for the day (all of 10mg) and it is just a tad over the top for me (I took 5 mg at 9:30AM, 2.5 mg at 2:30 PM and 2.5 mg at 6PM).

I feel just a little bit buzzed -- which I personally do not care for a bit.

I also had two bottled Iced Teas (I had an evening class that I was losing focus in) but they added some caffeine into the mix too, but now it's 3 hours after all of that and I am feeling this little buzzy feeling.

Dang.

βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ
08-11-10, 09:17 PM
It's so you can be buzzzzy.

(sorry, sorry... can't help myself).

Having enough food and water and sleep = very important. I prefer to take my adderall at least 20 min before or after eating a meal, but definitely MUST eat for best functioning and mental control.

Adderall can amplify emotion sometimes, but I find I have better control to CHANGE my mood or emotion.

sauer_kraut
08-12-10, 12:01 AM
I have found that I have to take Adderall IR in a consistent manner from day-to-day to have good effect, otherwise I can roller-coaster a little bit.

Today I took my max dose for the day (all of 10mg) and it is just a tad over the top for me (I took 5 mg at 9:30AM, 2.5 mg at 2:30 PM and 2.5 mg at 6PM).

I feel just a little bit buzzed -- which I personally do not care for a bit.

I also had two bottled Iced Teas (I had an evening class that I was losing focus in) but they added some caffeine into the mix too, but now it's 3 hours after all of that and I am feeling this little buzzy feeling.

Dang.

Good point. Something I have not yet managed to do since my living situation changed (the stress producer) is actually develop a schedule like I had before. These days it is more attainable to have a similar schedule but somehow I do not really pay much attention to time as much as I should. I usually will wing it and estimate the last dose by a time stamp on my IRC client or if I am lucky remembering to look at the clock when I take it and can picture it (photographic memory here) It was so easy and now its just like..not. Timing my food is not effective for this either cause most days I find that I take my med too long after I eat something and my stomach is so empty that I feel crappy. Nice...

Nutellanick
08-12-10, 12:26 AM
I think you are supposed to take it every day, unless your doctor says otherwise. I found if i stopped taking it on weekends and things that I felt depressed once back on it. It's like some kind of withdrawal

Naussicaa
08-12-10, 12:36 AM
I think you are supposed to take it every day, unless your doctor says otherwise. I found if i stopped taking it on weekends and things that I felt depressed once back on it. It's like some kind of withdrawal

I on the other hand feel depressed without it and happier with it the first dose, and then after that first one, its back to 'normal/baseline.'

So OP, its probably got something to do with your mood. When I don't eat on it, I feel the same happiness/sadness. Its probably closer to the drug making your moods more intensified. XR always made me euphoric, much more than Adderall IR and Dexedrine XR (which I'm now prescribed so I can eat). Maybe you're a bit different and using IR during the day may help boost it. Its just the mood of the room for me, if its depressing, I get more depressed, if its exciting I am more excited while using it.

The Bard
08-12-10, 11:05 AM
From my experience, Adderall doesn't change anything except give me more clarity of thought-which of course leads to the other natural side effects.

If it works for you like it does me, the whatever you're feeling that day is just going to be intensified by Adderall, not altered.

I think having a wandering mind nullifies a lot of anger and frustration, removing that then makes it easier to keep a grudge in your head consistently for hours rather than minutes (if not seconds).

DELEJENN
08-16-10, 11:51 AM
I'd like to understand why I can take adderall on weekends and on my vacation, and experience no anxiety whatsoever. When I'm at work, I have to take an antidepressant, as well as lorazepam for anxiety. Interestingly enough, I can't listen to the music I used to, prior to starting on adderall, as it gives me an eerie kind of feeling as well. What could all this possibly mean? Can the 'environment' really make this kind of difference?

gstam4
08-16-10, 11:58 AM
What sort of mood are you in before you take the medication (let's say, up until that point in the day - did you sleep well, eat well, have an irritating or satisfying day to that point, etc.)?

DELEJENN
08-16-10, 12:01 PM
One more thing, does caffeine really play a role in the side effects, such as anxiety? Work is the only place I tend to take in two cups of coffee every morning. At work, I don't typically eat anything until about 3 hours after I've taken the first dose.

Comments?

DELEJENN
08-16-10, 12:08 PM
What sort of mood are you in before you take the medication (let's say, up until that point in the day - did you sleep well, eat well, have an irritating or satisfying day to that point, etc.)?
gstam4: are you asking the original poster?

fropunka
08-16-10, 12:14 PM
For me, I HAVE to eat a little bit before I take my Adderall IR. A couple bites of cottage cheese works really well. If I take it on an empty stomach, all hell breaks loose. I sweat and get the jitters, then I'm irritable and moody, ISH!!

Caffiene only affects me if I drink a TON of it, then I end up with jitters/anxiety at night. So I learned quickly not to do that. Two cups of coffee really isn't that much, but I suppose it could increase your anxiety.

I also find that I have more anxiety when I'm at work, but that's because my job performance has been in the crapper for a loooong time.

DELEJENN
08-16-10, 12:29 PM
My performance is much better, but I have to wonder if the Adderall hasn't opened my eyes to the reality of my responsibilities on my job, like never before in my life.

Music giving me an eerie feeling, don't get that at all.

MomfromMN
08-17-10, 10:09 PM
I'm in my first week on XR (10mg once a day) and I was under the impression you should NOT eat too closely too it for maximum effectiveness? But it sounds like eating pretty soon afterward is recommended?

My first day, I took it and ate about 20 minutes later and have to say: it was a fabulous day! ;) Haven't felt like that since though.

fropunka
08-17-10, 11:40 PM
Mom-

I realized I have to eat before I take my meds because I had gastric bypass, so if I don't eat my meds get absorbed too quickly and I'm a mess

quirkyscrawler
08-18-10, 03:29 AM
I on the other hand feel depressed without it and happier with it the first dose, and then after that first one, its back to 'normal/baseline.'

So OP, its probably got something to do with your mood. When I don't eat on it, I feel the same happiness/sadness. Its probably closer to the drug making your moods more intensified. XR always made me euphoric, much more than Adderall IR and Dexedrine XR (which I'm now prescribed so I can eat). Maybe you're a bit different and using IR during the day may help boost it. Its just the mood of the room for me, if its depressing, I get more depressed, if its exciting I am more excited while using it.

Hmm...you may be right. I have wondered why my evening dose doesn't work too well at times, and maybe it's because I experience a mood drop every evening, while I feel good in the mornings. The morning I also got really excited about something, so the Adderall seemed to work better than usual. I'm trying to keep the dosage consistent, but it's hard because of the inconsistency of the efficacy due to other factors. Oh well - I guess I just have to accept that it won't so well sometimes.

Josh_kelly
08-18-10, 04:29 AM
i dont think adderall has anything to do with it. it is made to help you focus. no get you happy or depressed (not in a big magnitude).

human beings feel happy when the day is going well and bad when it is not. that's life in general.

it for sure makes you notice the smallest detail and change. sometimes over-analyze everything and simplify emotions whether happy or upset. Unfortunately adderall makes you think and blame everything on it. like many people on this forum do. I am not saying it is. I am saying that many blame everything on adderall after they start taking it. every little change-mood, physical, ...etc. Many things are not caused by adderall. But many seem to ignore the real side effect of adderall. adderall simplifies obsession, it becomes a microscope that you dont use to look at the smallest thing but normal things. imagine looking too close into something for too long. you will lose your sense of dimension if you zoom too close you wont be able to tell what you are looking at. and you wont have the time to look at everything under a microscope. there is no time and gets old after a while (my case). I say change is the only thing that is not changing. we all grow old and get into situations where we feel happy or sad. we all have muscle spasms from time to time when we work out or by sitting all day. some men will lose hair according to their genes and other factors we do that while on adderall. if we stop taking adderall in my opinion we will keep changing and age. But we will not notice it. without adderall things are not that big of a deal like it seems to while in adderall. adderall is for focus but a lot of adderall makes the focus and the zoom from say 3X to 1000X. you will notice the smallest things that you couldn't see without the microscope. before you had no microscope so you didn't see the bacteria that is ubiquity everywhere in the air, your bed, pillow its part of life and most cases we are not going to die from bacteria around us. but now you see it and it bothers many, and terrifies them. You have to understand that before adderall bacteria was there and life went on. same thing after. so just moving on with your life; understanding and accepting that indeed amphetamines implifies paranoia, anxiety and many things (it happened to me) i didn't know that adderall caused all this sudden self consciousness. and blamed it for everything. If these side effects bother some that much, discontinue adderall. After all, we are taking these stims to get better not worse.

I am gonna leave this as a wall of text because it is boring but it saddens me to delete.some might benefit i hope!
I strongly believe that excessive adderall consumption turns us into divas some times. they should write that inside the black box warning in the prescribing info. Warning:some studies had should that adderall might exacerbate diva-like symptoms. if diva like symptoms develop, discontinue adderall immediately and ingest 1-2 snicker bar(s); while at it listen to the song be happy, don't worry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLrsCnBvQFo

Naussicaa
08-18-10, 03:10 PM
Hmm...you may be right. I have wondered why my evening dose doesn't work too well at times, and maybe it's because I experience a mood drop every evening, while I feel good in the mornings. The morning I also got really excited about something, so the Adderall seemed to work better than usual. I'm trying to keep the dosage consistent, but it's hard because of the inconsistency of the efficacy due to other factors. Oh well - I guess I just have to accept that it won't so well sometimes.
Don't settle my friend!
Mornings are great because you feel great and then take Adderall, enhancing it. If you get IR, you can try by adminstering several small dosages during the day, 2.5mg each hour works well for me when I decide to go on that route (I would rather do that, but sometimes situations don't allow it, and even a few intervals will help, ).

Most likely you're redosing after the crash (or XR you feel the crash and the reenergy). What happens is that after your crash it is harder to get back to baseline, so its better to maintain it. Thats why I never wait until I feel crappy to take my dose, it won't help as much and its a waste to feel like depressed before "Okay time to take my medication."

Heres a little picture for you quirkyscrawler.
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9441/capturehg.png