View Full Version : Has anyone experienced this?

Marko
08-11-10, 01:53 PM
Hi,

I was taking Adderall for a while with great results regarding my ADD symptoms, but it was making me loose so much weight (went from 150 lbs to 120 lbs in two months; I am 5'10) that I decided to stop taking it.

My doctor was thinking to solve the problem prescribing an antipsychotic, which didn't make me comfortable due to the nasty side effects (I asked him about medical marihuana as an alternative and he said no because it could get me depressed, lol).

Anyway, I'm drifting off the subject, he prescribed Methylin. When I began seen him Methylin was the first drug we tried and I had some positive and negative effects: I was able to engage in conversations without too much effort and without loosing focus, I felt motivated, but the distraction was horrible. To summarize it: I was motivated to be distracted and able to focus for a long time on my distractions rather on what I really need it to do.

I'm taking it again and it's still the same.

I don't know, I am about to give up with all this medication stuff since the side effects are worse than my ADD. And the truth is that I'm scared of trying other meds like Strattera; the warnings about their side effects really freak me out.
Any advice will be helpful.
:confused:

Amtram
08-11-10, 02:23 PM
I'm giving Focalin another shot since I changed the dosage on my Aplenzin, but I'm finding much the same result from the methylphenidate in Focalin.

Don't freak yourself out about the side effects. Look at the percentages of the study group that experienced them - usually it's pretty small, and most of the time the side effects go away when you discontinue the medication. Just be aware of the potential side effects so that you can stop if you feel you need to.

If the medication doesn't work for you, you might need to try a different formulation (it can actually make a difference) or a different medication. I agree with you about the antipsychotics, too. Risperdal was very, very bad to me.

I would love to go back to Adderall, but without an SSRI, it gave me terrible anxiety. I never got the weight loss, either, which would have been good for me! I'm open to trying new meds or combinations of meds, though, because I've been through enough of them to not be scared anymore. And I still want to find something that helps.

ahinistroza
09-02-10, 05:52 PM
I'm sooooo w/u on all ur complaints!....Atleast u can actually describe ur experiences as I simply stay too frustrated/distracted,etc..I'm on 40 mg.2 x daily.I have had same problems and have tried adjusting dosage,w/no improvement.

Ritalin20Xanax2
09-26-10, 10:57 PM
Hi Marko,
I actually get prescribed 20mg Methylin IR's and I have not noticed really any problems with it. I did notice sometimes that I am not hungry when at time I usually am. If your doc won't give you medical marijuana cause its proven it can make you depressed. I would ask for either Valium 10mg, Klonopin 1mg, or Ativan 1mg. These can increase appetite and lower some of the anxiety if you get any of that when you take your medications. Just something I have noticed first-hand.

Morris86
08-11-11, 07:15 PM
I take methylin twice daily 20mg for adhd for major inattentivness.before I started I had good results with straterra but its expensive,but methylin had me go from weighing 169 to 159 now stable 150.im easily considering straterra again.i hate this weight loss.i love to bodybuild too and I cant gain anymore even with calories/carbs.if I dont switch im thinkn about using creatine since methylin makes me drink water all day.any advice back?

Dangit
08-20-11, 10:26 PM
I take 70 mg everyday for past 7 yrs or so... I do find that I can go like 5 hours without thinking about eating, but then after 5.1 hours I feel pain in my stomach cuz i'm super hungry. Are you eating the same amount/frequency before you were on meds and still losing weight? If not, then maybe ur same as me. Plan out the meals and force yourself to eat.

Sickle
02-04-13, 07:33 PM
I can't tolerate anything from that company, Dexedrine was okay in the tablet form. Those are all gone now. I take Daytrana and it delivers gradually so it feels like I spend half the day on nothing so last month I do the IR 20 bid mg instead of Sandoz, which sucked but was okay by the time noon hit, I didn't get the crash but I was arguing to get the focalin tabs back and she said, you can get Ritalin LA prescribed, which is smooth and the patch will be up to par by the time that crash comes so I dodge that bullet... I metabolize meds fast so the LA will last 4-5 hours and the patch helps me avoid the withdrawal and lasts the longest.