View Full Version : Cleaning and Reorganizing my Bedroom

Fortune
08-12-10, 07:46 PM
So I need to remove and organize all the clutter in my room (and especially my closet), rearrange all the furniture, assemble my futon frame, and get rid of this spare television set.

I'm trying to prioritize this, but also trying to get the motivation to actually do it. I've been able to do some cleaning for 5-10 minutes at a time over the past month, but I keep finding myself doing something completely different even though I was trying to focus on the one task.

I can mostly clean if I have a deadline, but I don't organize at all, I just get the mess out of sight and stop.

So, right now, I need to clean. I will worry about where I want to move everything once the cleaning is done. I hope it will help if I stop thinking about the process as this giant ball of cleaning + organizing and separating it into smaller, more immediately achievable tasks.

If anyone has advice, that'd be great, but not necessary. I'm mostly putting this here so I can hopefully remember to check back on it and update.

danelady
08-12-10, 07:51 PM
Nope..no advice whatsoever! I'm looking for a few ideas myself.:)

Fortune
08-12-10, 08:09 PM
I'm trying to read other threads in this forum as well, and there's some useful stuff in those that I should probably copy over here for the sake of my own ease of use.

βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ
08-12-10, 08:49 PM
I hear you loud and clear... and am trying to figure it out for myself.

I have tried without meds, it never worked. I started meds, started the process, was still overwhelmed and sorta peeved at it for awhile... So, short story: it was how I was thinking, it was my mental framework, it was me not working with myself. For me, focusing on one task when cleaning was NOT working with myself in this situation (because there are TOO many tasks, TOO many parts, and in the end the tasks will NEVER end etc). The task of cleaning and organizing will never be done, sure you can check it off your list but it's just going to go right back on it.

I've always had the saying, "stagnant water is dirty water," in my head. I don't know what made me see the water as all of the "stuff" to clean and organize, but it made a world of difference for my attitude. I realized that as long as there is movement (mentally, of objects, of cleanliness), it's a lot better than none. Once I was OK with that, I found the task of cleaning/organizing easier (an even pleasurable).

I am a piles person... and when I used to look at the pile and pick something up to move it -- I'd look at the rest and go, "Crap! all of this has to be done!" At that thought, I was SCREWED and would just set the item back and tell myself I'd deal with it all later (thus the pile remained stagnant, and greater guilt was created because I addressed the issue, but decided to do nothing about it).

What I've noticed is, if I just do what I "feel" like when I get the impulse -- I need to use that to my advantage and do that small thing I wanted to do.

Keep us updated on tackling this issue -- we all need to hear it from different people to piece together a way that will work for us.

=-p

Fortune
08-12-10, 09:00 PM
Fleisch,

That's exactly my problem. I can't really look at cleaning this up as a single task, because it is multiple tasks and it becomes overwhelming when I see just how many tasks it is. If I could get past that part and actually organize everything, even temporarily, it would probably be a lot easier to actually get my room rearranged. The latter is actually much less complex.

I like the stagnant water analogy.

βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ
08-12-10, 09:25 PM
Let your impulse work for you in the moment,

will lead to overcoming inertia, will lead to movement, will undergo acceleration!

I suppose we could look at this in form of Newton's 1st and 2nd laws, too?

Fortune
08-12-10, 09:44 PM
Oh, yeah, that makes sense.

Of course being acted upon means being distracted. :)

βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ
08-12-10, 09:57 PM
Don't worry, as soon as the bladder finally tells you that you HAVE to go pee... there are many seconds for chances of distraction between getting up and peeing! (I find for one reason or another, I always start to do something at all the wrong times... heh).

Either or, the impulse to do something with something will happen, you needn't worry about that!

Fortune
08-12-10, 10:04 PM
Oh, yes.

I suspect I'll have to rely on my impulses to get anything done right now. Being unmedicated is no picnic. Except when it is, but someone else is usually doing the planning.

Hearty Soul
08-12-10, 11:08 PM
I have the same problem, Fortune, and my bags are increasing in the closet! I cannot find what I need and this is frustrating!

I do not know if your bedroom is upstairs or you live in one level place.

In my case, the moment I go downstairs hoping to go upstairs later to tidy up never worked. I get distracted by so many other things!
So, I am planning as of *tomorrow* (especially that my hubby is away and I do not have to prepare his breakfast or coffee) that I shall not go downstairs until I cleared some of the clutter in the closet and in the drawers, as the mornings are the best for me to do such things.

What helps me with organizing when I am thinking clear and in the mood to organize, is I take some boxes to the closet and I categorize them:

1 - "to throw away" in which I throw what I do not need,
2 - "for Salvation Army" (which I end up giving to housekeeper instead);

If I am not much in the mood to tidy the things I need to keep, I mark another box as:

3 - "too look at later",

and so on according to what you have in the closet!

Good luck :)

Fortune
08-12-10, 11:21 PM
I like that box idea.

I live in a single-story house. Unfortunately, my computer is in my room, and it's just so easy to check my e-mail and...four hours later I'm reading my social networking sites and other plans are either forgotten or unimportant.

βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ
08-12-10, 11:34 PM
This is much easier said than done:

Shut off the computer. Don't turn it back on until a designated time well after you have been awake/returned home. I've gotten so desperate over not being able to control myself that I have literally had someone take something away from me and tell them I will give them a deserving punch in the arm if they give it back before certain things have been done. *sigh*

So hard. So hard.

Fortune
08-12-10, 11:40 PM
My computer is my music player too, and I need the music to at least give enough stimulation to do other stuff.

It's like a catch-22!

I could probably put some music CDs on my XBox and play that instead, perhaps.

I just have to delete my arcade.

βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ
08-12-10, 11:47 PM
Frick!

Can you block yourself from the internet? Make some crazy password no one has a chance in heck remembering without writing it down... then sending it to yourself in the mail?

It's intersting, I find that when I don't have music, let myself relax and make a conscious effort to talk OUT LOUD (and making sure I try to keep an overall happy/silly mood)... I end up starting to talk to myself in a sing-songy tone, which I've actually come to appreciate -- it takes effort though =-(

Fortune
08-13-10, 12:35 AM
I could block myself from the internet with some plugins for firefox and chrome. Well, I couldn't block myself from the entire internet.

Oops, I play my music from Youtube. I could just play music cds from my XBox, or maybe copy music over (I don't remember if the 360 does this like the original did). That'll probably work the best.

I don't actually have to make a conscious effort to talk out loud all the time. Sometimes it takes an effort to not talk out loud. This especially happens when my mind drifts off and I start daydreaming.

Hearty Soul
08-13-10, 12:50 AM
I like that box idea.

I live in a single-story house. Unfortunately, my computer is in my room, and it's just so easy to check my e-mail and...four hours later I'm reading my social networking sites and other plans are either forgotten or unimportant.

I moved my computer out of my bedroom for the same reasons you mentioned. I miss my own recorded music, but I am OK with the radio so far.

Fortune
08-13-10, 12:57 AM
I moved my computer out of my bedroom for the same reasons you mentioned. I miss my own recorded music, but I am OK with the radio so far.

If I could move my computer out of my bedroom, I would have done it ages ago. :(

I used to be fine with the radio, but the local stations are kind of annoying. At least the stations my radio picks up. I probably need a new radio.

Or I can hook up my satellite box and get DMX.

βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ
08-13-10, 01:27 AM
I remember you mentioning the satellite radio in another post?

I think you're on to something... ?

Fortune
08-13-10, 01:30 AM
I figure if I keep mentioning it, I'll remember to activate it. Or rather, I'll get used to thinking about it and remember it when I can do something about it.

It's my satellite TV box. I've had it for two months now, and keep forgetting to call to activate.

βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ
08-13-10, 01:46 AM
Is that an easier call to make than the other one?

Not being a devils advocate or anything like that...

;)

Fortune
08-13-10, 01:58 AM
Is that an easier call to make than the other one?

Not being a devils advocate or anything like that...

;)

It's tech support, and I have an easy time with tech support, usually.

Anyway, it's just that I keep forgetting. It's not even how much I want to do it (because I want to do it) but whether I remember to do it. Maybe I should put the box on my desk tonight so I'll see it first thing.

Fortune
08-14-10, 12:59 AM
So, satellite TV box plugged in. Now I can watch True Blood.

Getting soda cans out. I have a box to throw them into, it's just been a few weeks since the last time I cleared them out.

βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ
08-14-10, 01:14 AM
Excellent.... (in my head i am executing as Mr. Burns)

What is your cleaning music?

Fortune
08-14-10, 01:16 AM
The Crow movie soundtrack
Best of Eurythmics
Best of Billy Joel vol 1, 2, 3
Judas Priest Painkiller
Judas Priest Ram it Down
Sisters of Mercy: Floodland
Tori Amos's CD with "Cornflake Girl" on it

Hearty Soul
08-15-10, 07:06 PM
How is it going?!! Any encouraging update?! :)

I am "definitely" starting this evening!

Fortune
08-15-10, 07:11 PM
I've been thinking about it a lot but I've had to put more effort into preparing for a short trip.

I have got some things picked up, but organization is a distant dream atm.

βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ
08-15-10, 08:19 PM
Speedy was the hare,
Whose aplomb justified rest,
Woke up far behind,
A steadfast tortoise,
Who sagaciously embraced,
A slow, germane stride.

Fortune
08-15-10, 08:47 PM
Speedy was the hare,
Whose aplomb justified rest,