View Full Version : Do antipsychotics interfere with Adderall?

quirkyscrawler
08-14-10, 02:19 PM
I used to take 2.5 mg of Zyprexa at bedtime, and now take either 4 or 8mg of perphenazine instead. Since it's a dopamine blocker and Adderall is a dopamine agonist (am I using the correct term?) I asked the doc if it would interfere with each other. He said no, and I guess I'm not sure if I believe him haha. However, maybe they work on different pathways...does anyone here know how antipsychotics work vs. Adderall, in terms of this?

nwbucket
08-15-10, 01:57 PM
I am not sure as I am not a MD, but I have been taking Abilfy which I think is similar and it does seem that my ADD meds dont work as well. Although it could be the increased depression thus the need for new meds which is causing the issues. I am sure there are some smarter people on this forum that will be able to give some insight.

Noki
08-16-10, 03:57 PM
In my case it seemed that it does have some effect, at least with what I was taking.

This past May I switched to Geodon as an anti-psychotic for three weeks cos the Zyprexa I was on was getting too expensive. After about a week this seemed to have allowed the strength of my Adderall XR to shoot up tremendously. Maybe this was because (I was told) Geodon doesn't have a sedating effect like Zyprexa does, and I spent that entire month completely manic.

I had to go back on Zyprexa cos Geodon was giving me some horrific side-effects and I couldn't handle being manic anymore. But instead of taking 20mg like I was before I'm now on 7.5 of Zyprexa and that seemed to be a good dose to help me manage the mania caused by the Adderall without making me a zombie.

sir_taps_alot
10-22-10, 09:05 PM
I don't think it matters what pathway they utilize,antipsychotics,mostly antagonize dopamine and dexidrine and ritalin are dopamine agonists. I think any interference between the two would be dose dependant.2.5mg of zyprexa (olanzapine) is a very low dose

dgarrard29
12-10-10, 03:20 PM
I believe so. As sir_taps_alot stated, "antipsychotics, mostly antagonize dopamine and dexidrine and ritalin are dopamine agonists."

I have experience as my source. I began taking 20 m.g. of Adderall and it worked. 2 days later, I then was prescribed and began taking 15 m.g. of Zyprexa. I haven't felt the effects of Adderall since. My psychiatrist too said they do not interfere.

Yellow
01-14-11, 12:08 PM
yes they do, but its dose dependant. if u take enough antipsychotics you probably would cancel the stimulant altogether, but a low dose shouldnt lessen too much

Hoshi
01-24-11, 09:25 PM
I think that it does. I'm on Geodon now, but I've taken perphenazine too. Both of them seem to inhibit my Adderall/Vyvanse a bit, even with me taking the max dose of Vyvanse.
I can't function without the antipsychotics though, so I'm stuck. So frustrating! :mad:

Icecream
01-24-11, 10:03 PM
Most medications have an effect (as far as sleep is concerned)on me for about a day. Seroquel has been the only one that helps me sleep. I take half the lowest dose at night(until my dr cut). I guess I have been out of trying new meds for a few years, as there are quite a few that I have never heard of.

sarek
01-25-11, 03:11 AM
In addition to interference on the functional level its also always a wise thing to check for interference on the (de)metabolisation level.
Some meds need the same enzymes to de-metabolise and this may cause blood levels to rise unexpectedly high. An example is using Abilify together with fluoxetine.

dixiepeep
02-12-11, 09:03 PM
i am dealing with the same issue

Trooper Keith
02-12-11, 09:28 PM
Conceptually, yes, antipsychotics should interfere with stimulants. My anecdotal experience, however, is that while they do not make the stimulants completely inert. I take a large dose of Abilify, for example, and an average dose of Ritalin, and both work just fine. The reason is unknown; the brain is a magical machine.

buddy
02-13-11, 03:46 PM
I take Abilify 30mgs daily along with Dexedrine & I find I have less relief from the Dexedrine.I believe Abilify takes away the good feelings you would otherwise get from the Dexedrine.

Ms.Maddbord
03-01-11, 10:51 AM
i am on 20 mg of prozac which has been enough to pick me up out of my depression,but needed something for anxiety and temper and ADHD...my doc added 5 mg daily dose of abilify...seems ok...activating but calming...it's only been a few days,but i took 30 mg of adderall yesterday and for the first time in 20 years i took a psychostimulant and still couldn't motivate,so something is going on there...

daveddd
03-01-11, 10:58 AM
Conceptually, yes, antipsychotics should interfere with stimulants. My anecdotal experience, however, is that while they do not make the stimulants completely inert. I take a large dose of Abilify, for example, and an average dose of Ritalin, and both work just fine. The reason is unknown; the brain is a magical machine.

my sister is on abilify (not sure of dose) and adderall 40 mg a day and they are a good combo

kinda why i could really care less about the specific pathways a drug affects , when its prescribed to me

Ms.Maddbord
03-29-11, 03:26 PM
so now i am on 10 mg adderall xr + 10 mg adderall ir mid-day,and 50 mg serquel at bedtime just until i get myself on a better sleep schedule....is 50 mg seroquel a low enough dose to not lessen the effectiveness of the adderall? i sure hope so because i need my adhd symptoms controlled more than i need to get to bed earlier....also had a third psych confirm that i am not borderline...good to hear....guess i should change my username haha

emily weston
06-09-17, 07:20 PM
i am interested in taking both and i didnt hv a prescriptio ofor adderall but used it with the abiify 7 mg on an ocassional basis. i was first diagnosed adhd in my teens then psychosis latr but it was on the heels of utilizing multiple street drugs and a great depression where in i was multiple substance searching to balance myself out and going in and out of er until i finally was given help. i got sober with one relapse on opium becuase they wouldnt give me pain killers after my accident. anyways i think i like the combo but my psychiatrist says abilify adderall cancel one another out so is useless. i geuss its like lowering the bilify dose but lik the other person on th post said i dont think so becuase i went off abilify becuase my doc thought i had tardive dyskonesia beginning symptoms and i never felt psychotic i think the abilify actually caused alot of strange psychosis becuase it puts you in lik a dream set like a quasi subconcious with more access to to underlying dreams and thoughts and emotions tht surface and even get twisted and felt it caused hallucinations and strage ideas.

before i went off it though i did a tst with the adderall and felt better but couldnt gt scritp so i asked for welbiutrin becuase it has some dopa,ine and dopamine is the problem with tardive the receptor gets screwed up for depletion i think anyway in time though another antidepressant was brought on board and theni felt like spinning and heart racing tht was the wellbutrin and cymbalta anywy i knoe this i getting of topic see you can see i have adhd hahah anyways im on adderal now and was started on the antipsychotic zyprex suntil i get to see my neurologist to sort it all out. i think tardive dyskonesia does treat with dopamine but with an accompanying sotening gen. anyways so bottom line i think i sorta like the abilify with adderall it prevented the nerve pain and exhaustiona n xsaperation feeling of the adderall i get sometime. i men i m a deep thinker with alot of t ideas and when the adderall brings me into focus i have enormous brain power if i get stuck like i have on my pain it worsens it due to the attention on it like a cycle so i decided to distract my mind and maybe soften it with the antipsychoti but still get the energizing aspect of the adderall becuase i have fatique from fibromyalgia.

thats my story and im sticking with it thanks for the topic idea and taking the time to read through this i love sharing my wisdom oh by the way that psych went to harvardbut knew nothing about spirituality and told me the messages from say a gaurdian angel good ones was chemical misforings i think its not its a form on collective conciousness and intuition. i have ahad no psychosis since going off abilify but the zyprexa was added for pain apparantly it could help nerve pain well see and anxiety which i do have. emi.y

Never ends
07-16-17, 03:57 PM
Just saw this, I'm on 10 mg of abilify, (I'm wound tight) guess doc thought it'd help, but my adderall doesn't do anything but make me want to sleep and sit on my rear and stare at the wall. So I'm gonna say yes they have an effect on them.

Jillybean
08-25-17, 02:01 PM
I started abilify and zoloft right at a month ago for depression. I also take 50 mg of vyvanse daily. They abilify did help the ssri work quicker, my depression started lifting in just a week. HOWEVER, after about two weeks on it (and it took me about a week to figure it out) my vyvanse quit working. Somedays I feel as if I took a small dose and other I feel nothing at all. I actually took my vyvanse and went back to bed one day for three hours. That would not usually happen. So I am thinking I will just end up feeling depressed again because my ADHD is not under control.

sarahsweets
08-25-17, 02:44 PM
i am interested in taking both and i didnt hv a prescriptio ofor adderall but used it with the abiify 7 mg on an ocassional basis. i was first diagnosed adhd in my teens then psychosis latr but it was on the heels of utilizing multiple street drugs and a great depression where in i was multiple substance searching to balance myself out and going in and out of er until i finally was given help. i got sober with one relapse on opium becuase they wouldnt give me pain killers after my accident. anyways i think i like the combo but my psychiatrist says abilify adderall cancel one another out so is useless. i geuss its like lowering the bilify dose but lik the other person on th post said i dont think so becuase i went off abilify becuase my doc thought i had tardive dyskonesia beginning symptoms and i never felt psychotic i think the abilify actually caused alot of strange psychosis becuase it puts you in lik a dream set like a quasi subconcious with more access to to underlying dreams and thoughts and emotions tht surface and even get twisted and felt it caused hallucinations and strage ideas.

before i went off it though i did a tst with the adderall and felt better but couldnt gt scritp
I am trying to be sensitive to your plight but all this adderall experimentation was done without a prescription right?

so i asked for welbiutrin becuase it has some dopa,ine and dopamine is the problem with tardive the receptor gets screwed up for depletion i think anyway in time though another antidepressant was brought on board and theni felt like spinning and heart racing tht was the wellbutrin and cymbalta
How come you, the patient are doing all the figuring out of what meds to try and how they work? Hasnt the doctor had any suggestions?

anywy i knoe this i getting of topic see you can see i have adhd hahah anyways im on adderal now and was started on the antipsychotic zyprex suntil i get to see my neurologist to sort it all out.
wait, you have the dyskinesia yet your neuro isnt supervising these med trials??

i think tardive dyskonesia does treat with dopamine but with an accompanying sotening gen. anyways so bottom line i think i sorta like the abilify with adderall it prevented the nerve pain and exhaustiona n xsaperation feeling of the adderall i get sometime.
As far as I know the dyskinesia is caused very often by antipsychotics. I have a touch of it and I was under the impression that in relationship to mental health its association has to do with the meds taken for mental illness.

i men i m a deep thinker with alot of t ideas and when the adderall brings me into focus i have enormous brain power if i get stuck like i have on my pain it worsens it due to the attention on it like a cycle so i decided to distract my mind and maybe soften it with the antipsychoti but still get the energizing aspect of the adderall becuase i have fatique from fibromyalgia.

Is the pain soley related to your fibro?

peripatetic
08-25-17, 02:50 PM
If you are experiencing movement problems/extrapyramidal symptoms from your AAP, you should be talking to someone right away. Don't discontinue until gold to because I don't know what you're taking zyprexa for, but is that what's giving you what you think is TD? Are you tongue rolling or lip smacking or...?

TD is serious as **** and you need to stop playing with adderall and talk to your prescribing physician ASAP. There meds to counter side effects, like artane cogentin propranolol... none of those is adderall like.