View Full Version : depression?

laalaa83
07-17-04, 01:30 PM
i have always though of depression as being sad and hopeless. i resist saying i am depressed. i am not really very sad and i am not very hopeless. but in the morning i dread getting out of bed. i don't usually feel that way. i go to sleep at night worrying and i have trouble sleeping b/c of this, so during the days i am very tired. sometimes i have nothing to do so i sleep or just sit there. like i said i don't feel sad or hopeless never suicidal just, i can't really explain it! tired! worried! i don't look forward to much.

gabriela
07-17-04, 01:58 PM
welcome to the forum!
:)

that's *exactly* how i feel when i'm depressed!

i'm not sitting around the house crying all day - i'm "just" *SO* tired during those periods in my life...

Andrew
07-17-04, 02:02 PM
DSM-IV Criteria for Major Depressive Episode 1

Basic Criteria

5 (or more) of the following symptoms must have been present during the same two-week period and represent a change from previous functioning ; at least one of the symptoms is either (1) "depressed mood" or (2) "loss of interest or pleasure" (Do not include symptoms that are clearly due to a general medical condition, or mood-incongruent delusions or hallucinations)

(1) Depressed mood most of the day, nearly every day, as indicated by either subjective report (e.g., feels sad or empty) or observation made by others (e.g., appears tearful).

(2) Markedly diminished interest or pleasure in all, or almost all, activities most of the day, nearly every day (as indicated either by subjective account or observation by others.)

(3) Significant weight loss when not dieting or weight gain (e.g., a change of more than 5% of body weight in a month), decrease in appetite, or increase in appetite, nearly every day.

(4) Insomnia or hypersomnia, nearly every day.

(5) Psychomotor agitation or retardation, nearly every day. (observable by others, not merely subjective feelings of restlessness or being slowed down)

(6) Fatigue or loss of energy nearly every day.

(7) Feelings of worthlessness or excessive or inappropriate guilt (which may be delusional) nearly every day (not merely self-reproach or guilt about being sick).

(8) Diminished ability to think or concentrate or indecisiveness, nearly every day, (either by subjective account or as observed by others).

(9) Recurrent thoughts of death (not just fear of dying), recurrent suicidal ideation without a specific plan, or a suicide attempt or a specific plan for committing suicide.

The symptoms cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

The symptoms are not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, a medication) or a general medical condition (e.g., hypothyroidism).

The symptoms are not better accounted for by bereavement, i.e., after the loss of a loved one, the symptoms persist for longer than 2 months or are characterized by marked functional impairment, morbid preoccupation with worthlessness, suicidal ideation, psychotic symptoms, or psychomotor retardation.

All the above statements must be true.

Criteria for Severity/Psychotic Features Specificiers
for Current Major Depressive Episode

Mild : Few, if any, symptoms in excess of those required to make the diagnosis, and symptoms result in only minor impairment in occupational functioning or in usual social activities or relationships with others.

Moderate : Symptoms or functional impairment between "mild" and "severe".

Severe, without Psychotic Features : Several symptoms in excess of those required to make the diagnosis, and symptoms markedly interfere with occupational functioning or with usual social activities or relationships with others.

Severe with Psychotic Features : Presence of delusions or hallucinations (mood congruent or mood-in congruent)

Criteria for Melancholic Features Specificiers

A. Either of the following, occurring during the most severe period of the current episode :
- loss of pleasure in all, or almost all, activities
- lack of reactivity to usually pleasurable stimuli (does not feel much better, even temporarily, when something good happens)

B. Three (or more) of the following :
- distinct quality of depressed mood (i.e., the depressed mood is experienced as distinctly different from the kind of feeling experienced after the death of a loved one)
- depression regularly worse in the morning
- early morning awakening (at least 2 hours before usual time of awakening)
- marked psychomotor retardation or agitation
- significant anorexia or weight loss
- excessive or inappropriate guilt

For the specifier Melancholic Features one feature from A and at least 3 from B must be present

Criteria for Atypical Features Specificiers

A. Mood reactivity (i.e., mood brightens in response to actual or potential positive events)

B. Two (or more) of the following features :
- significant weight gain or increase in appetite
- hypersomnia
- leaden paralysis (i.e., heavy, leaden feelings in arms or legs)
- long-standing pattern of interpersonal rejection sensitivity (not limited to episodes of mood disturbance) that results in significant social or occupational impairment

For the specifier Aytpical Features the feature A and at least two features from B must be present

1. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. 4th Edition. American Psychiatric Association, 1994

laalaa83
07-19-04, 04:41 PM
I didnt want to admit I am depressed but I guess thats what it is. Is depression a mental illness? I've had lots of stuff happen this last year mostly seperating from my mom&bros who are all substance abusers and or mentally ill, & I dont feel like I miss them but at the same time I am kind of drifting along by my self now & am not really sure what to do with my self now that i don't have to worry about them.