View Full Version : A live demonstration of a new teletherapy platform

jf0417
08-17-10, 04:48 PM
Hey all in the New York area:

I belong to the NYC Health 2.0 Chapter, and there's going to be a meetup event tomorrow (they meet monthly) and one of the presenters is Michael Laskoff, an entrepreneur and writer with ADHD, who has his own company AbilTo that considers themselves "Therapy Reinvented." Apparently, they specialize in treating ADHD in a new way.

The event is free (I think there's even free food...at least there was last month) and there's also another interesting presenter who will be there as well.

I think if you're not in the New York City area, Alex, the event organizer, will be LiveStreaming the event on his website so people can watch as well. I believe this presentation is supposed to start at 7:30pm. And, I think you have to RSVP as well, but I think the site is included in the posting.

------------------

AbilTo Demos at August Health 2.0 NYC Meetup

AbilTo LLC delivers a live demonstration on August 18th, 2010 at MultiVu, 350 Hudson Street, Suite 300, NYC.

(New York, NY) On Wednesday, August 18th, 2010, AbilTo LLC, the leading provider of team-based, face-to-face online therapy, will be holding a live demonstration of their user platform at the August edition of New York’s Health 2.0 meetup, held at MultiVu at 350 Hudson Street, Suite 300, NYC. The event begins at 6:30pm and will also be simulcast live online at http://www.livestream.com/faircaremd.

According to the National Institute of Mental Health, one in four adults have a behavioral disorder; many lack access to private, convenient and effective assistance. To overcome these hurdles, AbilTo programs connect a team, consisting of a qualified therapist and coach, with individuals suffering as a result of: common behavioral disorders, such as adult Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADD/ADHD) and Panic Attacks; or life transitions, such as those experienced by new mothers returning to work. Each program offers clients a set price for a fixed duration program delivered on a convenient schedule, including evenings and weekends.

CEO Michael Laskoff will demonstrate how the company uses Web 2.0 applications to eliminate geographic barriers and fundamentally change traditional approaches to therapy. Using the full suite of APIs available via the TokBox Platform, AbilTo has been able to seamlessly integrate video communications into their web experience. The intuitive video chat capability allows AbilTo clients to meet virtually with a therapist, coach or both without having to download software.

This event is part of a series of monthly meetups organized by The New York Healthcare Technology Meetup Group. This group, which functions as the New York Health 2.0 chapter, is focused on discussing technological innovations that focus on the patient. Meetups contain a live demonstration followed by a moderated discussion on relevant topics. Questions regarding the event can be directed to organizers Alex Fair and Eugene Borukhovich, who can be contacted by visiting http://www.health20nyc.com/suggestion/.

For additional information on AbilTo and The New York Healthcare Technology Group – Health 2.0 NYC, visit www.abilto.com and http://www.health20nyc.com/

P.S.--I just copied this from a press release I received. I apologize to the mods/admins if there are links in here I'm not allowed to have. Let me know and I'd be happy to edit it!

Trooper Keith
08-17-10, 05:08 PM
This kind of thing is ethically and legally very tricky. While the technology is here or almost here, the law lags behind. For example, if I'm licensed in WV and you're in NY and I do teletherapy with you, am I practicing across state lines without a license? It legally seems that way.

jf0417
08-17-10, 07:13 PM
You definitely bring up a good point, kmiller...one I wish I could elaborate on more lol

I know the APA has teletherapy guidelines that are constantly evolving to deal with things like this.

Also, I saw that AbilTo is looking for therapists (through an employment ad that came up on a Google search) who are licensed in other states, I assume to be able to provide to those clients.

I think, too, that these companies have to worrying about setting up LLCs or PLLCs or something like that so that they can actually be recognized legally as being allowed to do business in a specific state.

But you are right, a lot of the time, technology progresses too fast to account for laws catch up, which gets chaotic. But teletherapy is a pretty interesting emerging field right now, and a lot more literature is starting to surface on it.