View Full Version : Is this only the second thread for this medication??

lilyluvr56
08-17-10, 05:30 PM
Well, I decided to start up some more conversation here, since I am sure there are more people taking this medication that we realize.
My history, briefly...Strattera, Vyvanse, Adderall XR, Adderall IR, Ritalin IR, Focalin XR....so...here I am!

I wanted a place to find info, like I have had in the past, so I hope we keep this going!!

I have a question: My doc gave me a script for 30mg XR, 1 X day. I had left over Ritalin 10mg tab from my last script..so he said to to use it in the beginning if the 30mg Focalin wasn't enough...so I have...and I'm almost out (of the Ritalin), so I had to call him...
I told him it was dyin' early...I take it at 6 and it's effects are non-existent by 11-noon...so, he told me to take another one.
do you think it's too much??
Today was my first day to do it (30mg X 2/day) and I still don't really feel a benefit...is there any hope for me??

(and yes, I understand that there is no magic pill, and I am not chasing a "high"...never even got one...just need a little help with symptom control)..

REPLIES ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

EVEN IF THEY ARE ONLY SHORT...LIKE YOUR DOSE, IR/XR, HOW LONG YOU'VE BEEN TAKING IT!

Again, Thanks!

sarek
08-17-10, 05:53 PM
You can see other posts if you set your filter at the bottom of the page to a period longer than 2 weeks.

lilyluvr56
08-17-10, 07:00 PM
Oh, THANKS! Good to know!!

Josh_kelly
08-17-10, 09:04 PM
max dose of focalin is 40 mg

you are taking 60 mg focalin which is equal to 120 mg ritalin

even if you have high tolerance. you should something at 60 mg.

so i am almost sure you are taking too much and that's why you dont feel it.

at high dose the opposite effects happen.

because too high of a dose reverses the action of dopamine. i dont remember exactly how but this is what you need to know

symptoms of high dose:
1. Sedation
2. Buzz, stoned, drugged, half baked, hyperfocused, lazy, dazed, social withdrawal.
3. with focalin i add agitated, really agitated.

because focalin does not raise your heart beat like ritalin. you would think that you are not taking a high dose because high heart beat and anxiety is the trigger from your experience with ritalin. not the same with focalin.

Another possibility is the XR is not for you. XR release depend on pH. so if stomach conditions are different for you maybe that might reduce its release.

Food. You need to eat or drink ultra high protein diet. 30 min before. you have to eat lunch too

Focalin XR. release is 2 instant doses 4 hours apart.

1. instant release upon ingestion
2. instant release 4 hours later when the contents of the stomach move to the second compartment (small intestine) where the pH conditions there are different, thus release occur.

So if you take it on empty stomach without eating for a while your body may not notice the drug because its not food so there is no compelling reason for the digestion cycle to take place.

when you eat. the med is absorbed smoothly and slowly last longer too. and in your case because its XR you will have more benefits; the second dose will be more effective because it would reach the second compartment when food is there and the cycle has to take place.

if you take on empty stomach also. it will hit you hard (the drug will enter your blood too quickly). and the symptoms above will be experienced. lets say you have two tanks one filled with stones and one is empty. you pump water from the top of the tanks. the empty tank water will reach the bottom by gravity right away. the one filled with stones the water will go thru numerous little channels thru the space between the stones so would take time for water to collect at the bottom and will take longer time because the flow out will be less in magnitude. i hope that i explained this right.
basically is stones pacified or acted as a buffer. slowing the water by doing so it took longer for all the water to collect at the bottom (longer duration and smoother) that's what i meant to say.

so in summary. you want to make sure that you did not leave anything to chance before switching to another drug from focalin?
1. Eat
2. Hydrate
3. no another source of stim. caffeine, soda...
4. try half the dose. take only one capsule with food just for two or three days. maybe not the first but second or third day you should feel it.
5. if you can, try instant release focalin (brand only) do not bother with teva generic (harsh). 10 mg focalin brand tab is potent.

one thing i want to mention. focalin takes longer time in general to kick-in than ritalin.
with ritalin 20-40 min
with focalin 30 min to an hour

focalin lasts longer to with no crash for me.

good luck!

BalanceisKey
08-26-10, 01:51 PM
ive been taking a Vyvanse 70 mg and two 20 mg IR adderal a day for awhile.... I Decided i wanted a change and now i just got prescribed two 20mg focalin XR a day and 150mg Nuvigil a day so lets see how this goes this month.

Has anyone else been on this combo?

Lv2sleep
09-01-10, 08:43 PM
My daughter was on Focalin XR for several months. She was taking 15mg. Unfortunately, it only lasted 4-5 hours for her. Since it was 50 bucks a month, we decided to try another drug. Her psychiatrist told me it is common for Focalin XR to not last very long in most people. She said it shouldn't even be marketed as 8-10 hour relief. I was glad to find out that we weren't alone in our disappointment of the short duration.

Focalin did work very well, though!

geogator
09-07-10, 12:23 PM
symptoms of high dose:
1. Sedation - Yep.
2. Buzz, stoned, drugged, half baked, hyperfocused, lazy, dazed, social withdrawal. - Yep again.
3. with focalin i add agitated, really agitated. - Not when taking it or during the day, but after it wears off I get grouchy & less patient.

Food. You need to eat or drink ultra high protein diet. 30 min before. you have to eat lunch too - Thank you for the advice. I've been upped from 30mg to 40mg/day (2x 20mg in AM) and some days it hits much harder than others with the above symptoms, especially #2. I've been experimenting with different foods to eat in the morning but haven't found a particular food that consistently helps with the #2 symptoms. I usually eat a bowl of cereal & a small glass of cranberry (lite/diet) juice during the week or occasionally a breakfast bar or 2. (special "K") I've tried eating a couple of handfuls of nutty trail mix when I get an onset of symptoms but it only helps somewhat. Time is what helps the most right now, as the symptoms last about a hour or so.

2. instant release 4 hours later when the contents of the stomach move to the second compartment (small intestine) where the pH conditions there are different, thus release occur.

So if you take it on empty stomach without eating for a while your body may not notice the drug because its not food so there is no compelling reason for the digestion cycle to take place.

when you eat. the med is absorbed smoothly and slowly last longer too. and in your case because its XR you will have more benefits; the second dose will be more effective because it would reach the second compartment when food is there and the cycle has to take place.

if you take on empty stomach also. it will hit you hard (the drug will enter your blood too quickly). and the symptoms above will be experienced. lets say you have two tanks one filled with stones and one is empty. you pump water from the top of the tanks. the empty tank water will reach the bottom by gravity right away. the one filled with stones the water will go thru numerous little channels thru the space between the stones so would take time for water to collect at the bottom and will take longer time because the flow out will be less in magnitude. i hope that i explained this right.
basically is stones pacified or acted as a buffer. slowing the water by doing so it took longer for all the water to collect at the bottom (longer duration and smoother) that's what i meant to say. During the week, I usually take it once I get to work around 8am while I'm eating breakfast at my desk. I've also tried taking it about 30-45 minutes after eating but still get some of the side effects listed in #2. Lunch is rarely a problem though. I'm pretty good about making myself eat (ie: sandwich, some yogurt & fruit) and staying hydrated during the day (@ least 2 20oz bottles of water). However, when I'm not properly hydrated I can feel a harder kick in the afternoon.

so in summary. you want to make sure that you did not leave anything to chance before switching to another drug from focalin?
1. Eat
2. Hydrate
4. try half the dose. take only one capsule with food just for two or three days. maybe not the first but second or third day you should feel it.
5. if you can, try instant release focalin (brand only) do not bother with teva generic (harsh). 10 mg focalin brand tab is potent.

one thing i want to mention. focalin takes longer time in general to kick-in than ritalin.
with ritalin 20-40 min
with focalin 30 min to an hour - Same with me. At least 30 minutes minimum.

I'm going to try altering when I take my Focalin & what I eat for breakfast for a few days. If I can't seem to get worked out, I'll ask my doc to either adjust back to 30mg (which was a bit too low) or switch drugs. I've also had my Welbutrin raised to 450mg/day recently so I'm not certain if this has had any effect on the symptoms as well. Another question for my doc to answer too. Thanks for the post Josh.

alissadj
03-08-13, 05:31 PM
I thought I was the only one! My doctor told me it was very uncommon to have my 10mg Focalin completely worn off within an hour and a half of taking it. Glad to know I'm not the only one. I was thinking of switching meds because the agitation is really bothering me too. Any suggestions?

ECMD10
03-15-13, 01:04 PM
Wow...great post, with great info. I'm starting Focalin (instant release) tomorrow, after trying Concerta (best so far, but unacceptable side effects), Aderall (significant agitation), Provigil (no assistance with focus and unacceptable side effects) and Vyvanse (agitation similar to Aderall). I'll keep all your tips in mind during my trial period. Thanks again for the great post.

max dose of focalin is 40 mg

you are taking 60 mg focalin which is equal to 120 mg ritalin

even if you have high tolerance. you should something at 60 mg.

so i am almost sure you are taking too much and that's why you dont feel it.

at high dose the opposite effects happen.

because too high of a dose reverses the action of dopamine. i dont remember exactly how but this is what you need to know

symptoms of high dose:
1. Sedation
2. Buzz, stoned, drugged, half baked, hyperfocused, lazy, dazed, social withdrawal.
3. with focalin i add agitated, really agitated.

because focalin does not raise your heart beat like ritalin. you would think that you are not taking a high dose because high heart beat and anxiety is the trigger from your experience with ritalin. not the same with focalin.

Another possibility is the XR is not for you. XR release depend on pH. so if stomach conditions are different for you maybe that might reduce its release.

Food. You need to eat or drink ultra high protein diet. 30 min before. you have to eat lunch too

basically is stones pacified or acted as a buffer. slowing the water by doing so it took longer for all the water to collect at the bottom (longer duration and smoother) that's what i meant to say.

1. Eat
2. Hydrate

with ritalin 20-40 min
with focalin 30 min to an hour

focalin lasts longer to with no crash for me.

good luck!

G252013
03-17-13, 12:45 PM
Wow...great post, with great info. I'm starting Focalin (instant release) tomorrow, after trying Concerta (best so far, but unacceptable side effects), Aderall (significant agitation), Provigil (no assistance with focus and unacceptable side effects) and Vyvanse (agitation similar to Aderall). I'll keep all your tips in mind during my trial period. Thanks again for the great post.

How is it?

wills11
06-19-13, 02:28 PM
Oh, THANKS! Good to know!!

You're not alone! I did the same thing and only realized you can change the views yesterday. :yes:

So for 2 months or so I've been like, WTF AM I TAKING??