View Full Version : CHADD Conference - Nashville, TN

Tara
07-18-04, 06:55 AM
<TABLE style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; BORDER-RIGHT-WIDTH: 0px" borderColor=#111111 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #111111; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: #111111; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none" width="100%">16th Annual International Conference on Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder

Striking the Right Note Through Science, Education and Support

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none" width="100%">

October 28-30, 2004
Renaissance Nashville Hotel and Nashville Convention Center
Nashville, TN

http://chadd.org/webpage.cfm?cat_id=14&subcat_id=26 (http://chadd.org/webpage.cfm?cat_id=14&subcat_id=26)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Tara
10-25-04, 11:38 PM
Is anybody else going to CHADD? I'm leaving for Nashville in the morning and will be at the Conference Friday and Saturday.

Tara
11-01-04, 07:21 PM
I just got back from the CHADD Conference last night. The Conference itself was pretty good. This was my 1st CHADD Conference but I have been to 2 ADDA Conferences before. The CHADD sessions where pretty good but the conference itself didn't have the same feel as the ADDA Conference does. ADDA has a warmer feel to it.

There was one session that just blew me away though. It was about a criminal justice approach to ADHD. Two police officers from the UK decided last year that they wanted to learn more about ADHD so the came to the 2003 CHADD Conference. Since that time they have done amazing things.

They have pretty begun to educate all of the different organizations in their area about ADHD. By doing this the crime rate has begun to go down and young people with ADHD are being identified with ADHD a lot sooner.

I really can't do the presentation justice so I really reccomend purchasing the Tape of it.

I wasn't very impressed with downtown Nashville. Rumor has is that one of the CHADD Conference Attendees got mugged Friday night.

I let a few of the higher ups at CHADD know that I thought that really needs to focus more on services for people who can not afford to attend these conferences. It all started when I went to a session about managing adult support groups and was told that the only way a person could be trained by CHADD to run one of these groups was to attend the the yearly conference.

Garry
11-01-04, 08:35 PM
Can you give anymore information on the police officers and the tape you spoke of Tara

Tara
11-01-04, 09:02 PM
They should be avaible in the CHADD Store sometime soon.

L8AGN
12-07-04, 12:55 PM
Hi Tara,

I wish I had joined this Forum prior to the CHADD Conference so I could have met some of you online and planned to get together in Nashville. I have been attending the CHADD Conferences for about 9 years and love them. Personally, I found the Nashville setting less "warm" than that of some previous conferences, so perhaps that is what you were sensing. Generally, the conferences have a closer feel than this one did, at least to me. However, I did enjoy the speakers and sessions, as usual, as well as the social events. It helps that I know hundreds (literally) of the attendees and most of the speakers. It's like a yearly family reunion for me. Next year we will meet in Dallas so please let me hear from you in advance. Maybe we can arrange a meeting of the Forum participants there.

You wrote: "I let a few of the higher ups at CHADD know that I thought that really needs to focus more on services for people who can not afford to attend these conferences. It all started when I went to a session about managing adult support groups and was told that the only way a person could be trained by CHADD to run one of these groups was to attend the the yearly conference." I wonder who you spoke with that said this. Frankly, I had been running the local group in Baton Rouge for years before I ever attended a CHADD Conference. Our current ADDult Group Facilitator (also a volunteer) has never attended a Conference. That is certainly not a requirement. When you decide to set up a CHADD affiliated group they have someone at the National Office who walks you through the process by phone, mail, and email. Of course, budget restrictions being what they are, CHADD does not have the resources to send someone to your area to personally train you so they do encourage local leaders to attend the Leadership Training provided prior to the Conference. This year we finally arranged for enough volunteers and resources to video tape the Leadership Training sessions and hope to have this available for Chapter leaders online.

While at the Conference did you attend the session on ADHD in the workplace? The room was packed and folks were standing (and sitting on the floor) around the edges. Obviously a hot topic. In my other life (where I actually get paid for working) I am in HR so this was of particular interest to me. I hope to see more such sessions at future conferences. In fact, if there are topics anyone is interested in seeing covered, CHADD always appreciates the feedback. They have already started their Call for Proposals for next year's Conference so now is the time to start sending suggestions.

Wow! My first post to the Forum and I'm rambling like mad. Again, sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you in Nashville. Let's definitely try to get some folks together in Dallas! I would also be happy to post more about the Nashville and other Conferences if anyone is interested.

Belynda (L8AGN)