View Full Version : Imipramine use on a 7yr old?

08-24-10, 08:59 PM
Hi - I'm new on here. I was diagnosed with ADD several months ago and have been taking celexa and adderall. I took my 7 year old daughter in for an assessment today due to inattention/focus and concentration problems.
The NP told me she seemed to have more anxiety/nervousness issues than ADHD because she is not a behavioral problem. She does, however, pick the skin on her fingers and (even though her room is a mess) she likes her books/dvds to stay in a certain order.
The NP wants us to try Imipramine. We are somewhat skiddish of any medication, but want her to feel good and do well in school.

Does anyone know of this medication? Will it help her anxiety/nervousness/concentration. She also wets the bed, which the doc told us would probably get better with the use of imipramine. I just don't want her to be zombified or have less focus. The NP says it should definitely not make her inattention worse. How about weight gain with this medicine? Just seeking answers/advice before giving her this medicine..
<!-- End Description --><!-- main content -->

08-24-10, 09:18 PM
oh yea - imipramine is Trofanil

08-24-10, 09:21 PM
I know that imipramine is sometimes prescribed for children with bed-wettinng problems. I have never head of it being used to assist concentration/attentiveness, though. I was prescribed imipramine at one point as an adult and discontinued it because it made my anxiety worse. Of course, your daughter may not have this side effect.

But shame on your doctor! Of course a child can be ADD, inattentive type, and not be a behavioral problem. As a child, my teachers called me the class daydreamer - that's how my childhood ADD manifested itself.

Get a second opinion. Your doctor sounds surprisingly ignorant.

08-24-10, 09:27 PM
Thanks, that's kind of what I was thinking about the 2nd opinion. This was suposed to be a child ADD specialist.
I definitely don't want her anxiety to become worse!

03-14-11, 11:46 PM
I have always been a well behaving guy from the time I was a tyke to now (24) and I'm ADHD-PI. Get a second opinion definitely. Maybe you should look up in your area some good ADHD specializing doctors and get recommendations.