View Full Version : Motivation?

RussianVodka123
08-25-10, 02:46 AM
Im on 5mg 3 times a day. And no doubt it helps me to concentrate and focus. But any1 have problems with motivation? I still find it hard to do work due to a lack of motivation

fgm1
08-25-10, 04:42 AM
I have the same. Though, I think it's more a personality trait than a ADD/ADHD symptom. :p

stampy91
08-29-10, 01:10 AM
Sorry buddy but unfortunately Dex doesn't affect motivation. Like you, I get better concentration+focus, but my motivation is the same.

I did a lot of research into people's experiences (read a huge amount of posts on this board), and the vast majority of people experience the same thing (once they get over the first couple 'euphoric days'). I sum it up like this:

Dex enhances your ability to do what you do.

So if you can get yourself to do the work, then it'll help. Otherwise, it'll just increase your concentration on whatever your doing to waste time. It sucks, I know. Try getting to the core of your procrastination with your psych, and try to learn strategies to stop. If that fails, you might want to try Ritalin - I'd be on it, except I get through my work so slowly and procrastinate so much that I get only a few hours of sleep each day, and when I'm in that state Ritalin just causes severe depression. However, I did find that generally when I had slept well, Ritalin made me want to do my work.

Anyway, good luck! :)

I have the same. Though, I think it's more a personality trait than a ADD/ADHD symptom. :p
I wouldn't be so sure. If you think about it, it fits with ADD - we're all about stimulation. There are things much more stimulating to us that stupid work. Although, sure, almost everyone procrastinates sometimes, I think you'll find generally ADDers do it more (often via hyperfocus).

dally
08-29-10, 01:42 AM
I totally agree with Desu, although my experience is with Vyvanse (the long acting form of dex). I don't know if there can be a dividing line between AD/HD and a person's personality. The AD/HD is part of you, the experience of living with it is part of you, how can you separate that from your personality?

These questions are really pretty philosophical, actually. What is motivation and where does it come from? Is there really such a thing as free choice in life, and if so how can you tell what you are choosing to do (or not do) because of the AD/HD and what you are choosing in spite of it? What is personality, what is character, how much can anyone control about who they are and what they can do?

There are quite a few posts along these lines. There are books about it, too. They are important questions, especially for those of us who are trying to use medication to support our ability to take control of our lives. I am starting therapy on Thursday to help me sort through all this and to retrain myself out of 44 years of bad habits.

If you have any insights on any of this, please post! :D

fgm1
08-29-10, 05:26 AM
I don't think there is to be quite honest. You are ADD/ADHD, and ADD/ADHD is you. Even if you take medication to control and smoothen the symptoms, you still have ADD/ADHD. So in that way you're right.

I've to be honest and say I haven't really given this much though. But I agree with the both of you, and maybe you are right. I've always seen myself as extremely lazy and unmotivated, yet when I find something interesting I am obsessed with it (hyper focus kicks in). But when my mini-mania of a few hours/days/weeks or whatever wears off I'm back at the start, unmotivated and lazy.

Personal trait? Maybe. But what is considered a personal trait? If I am ADD/ADHD, than the choice to make these decisions is, or at least partly or maybe even completely, is not personal choice, in relation to the disorder.

And no, I'm not trying to "blame" anyone but myself for my lack of motivational behavior, but I do have to agree on a few things that might amplify or contribute to such behavior.

(i should work on my engrish, too.)

I totally agree with Desu, although my experience is with Vyvanse (the long acting form of dex). I don't know if there can be a dividing line between AD/HD and a person's personality. The AD/HD is part of you, the experience of living with it is part of you, how can you separate that from your personality?

These questions are really pretty philosophical, actually. What is motivation and where does it come from? Is there really such a thing as free choice in life, and if so how can you tell what you are choosing to do (or not do) because of the AD/HD and what you are choosing in spite of it? What is personality, what is character, how much can anyone control about who they are and what they can do?

There are quite a few posts along these lines. There are books about it, too. They are important questions, especially for those of us who are trying to use medication to support our ability to take control of our lives. I am starting therapy on Thursday to help me sort through all this and to retrain myself out of 44 years of bad habits.

If you have any insights on any of this, please post! :D

twinch42085
08-31-10, 12:06 AM
True that there is not any motivation with Dexedrine. This is due to the lack of the left hand isomer (levo-amphetamine). If you take enough dexedrine it will for sure motivate you. Any stimulant would for that matter. That is besides the point here. Dextro-amphetamine doesn't stimulate in the motivation department.