View Full Version : Do you like music on in the car?

pookandpeb
08-25-10, 09:24 AM
I have noise sensitivities, so that's one reason I keep the music off most of the time, especially in the car where I'm enclosed. Then also there's the chatter in my head which is a separate reason that I often keep music off (I almost could have put this post in the general ADD section since I wonder how many people might keep it off just because of chatter in their heads).

Sometimes I notice I can tolerate sound (i.e. music) and can tolerate it loud, and really enjoy it. I feel like it's a little vacation in which I'm temporarily an NT, blasting my music and loving it. I wonder why most of the time I can't tolerate it and other times I love it.

sarek
08-25-10, 09:48 AM
That is exactly the same for me. Sometimes i like a bit of music in the car but when my head is a little 'full' like after a days' work I often turn it off to get some peace in my brain.
I also turn it off when traffic gets busy and complicated to minimize the distractions.

Imnapl
08-25-10, 10:16 AM
If things get tricky in traffic and I need to really focus, the music goes off.

I drove my last car for many years, but the stereo died several years before the rest of the car did. I never got around to replacing it and never missed it.

ADDyachtie
08-25-10, 11:53 AM
Im the same way! if I really need to concentrate the music goes off.....my friends always get mad at me because im turning the music down all the time! I went for a hearing test a few years ago and the doctor told me I have some of the best hearing he has ever seen!...are other ADD'ers like this?

furthuron
08-25-10, 09:55 PM
Maybe. I have great hearing, too!

I'm sensitive to a lot of sounds, but for some reason loud music doesn't normally bother me, as long as I can turn it off when I choose.

Imnapl
08-25-10, 10:16 PM
Im the same way! if I really need to concentrate the music goes off.....my friends always get mad at me because im turning the music down all the time! I went for a hearing test a few years ago and the doctor told me I have some of the best hearing he has ever seen!...are other ADD'ers like this?Yes. Before I was hired as a telephone operator, the company gave me a thorough hearing exam. The tester told me I had "acute" hearing. I remember thinking "well, then, why do I have to keep asking people to repeat themselves". Who knew?

Rebelyell
08-25-10, 11:34 PM
I usually have the music cranking to some good ol rocking roll or freestyle music, as I enjoy music anywhere.Sometimes tho when Im in traffic like on the hiway in rush hour all muckity mucked up and I got that Metallica booming its like ok stress,radio off pay attention,major sensory overload man.

ZiggyFry
08-26-10, 08:15 PM
I sing to the music that I have blasting in the car XD

Sin.Ziggy.

orpie
08-29-10, 10:23 PM
Yes, I always have music on, and LOUD. And at home, at work, at the gym... Thank God for the Ipod!

Funny thing is I am very sensitive to sounds/noise too, but I think that I use the radio or ipod to tune out 'annoying' sounds. Unfortunately, most sounds fit that category for me. The music at the store, barking dogs, ticking clock, loud crickets, etc.

Alpineski
09-04-10, 01:27 AM
I'm a musician, so naturally I have the music on 99% of the time when I'm driving.

Not loud, just audible enough to drown out road/exhaust noise. However, if I really need to concentrate like on a steep hill (my car has a touchy clutch), I'll turn the music down and focus on the release.

RedHairedWitch
09-04-10, 02:57 AM
It depends on the kind of music!

Nifferka
09-04-10, 03:28 AM
The only time I've wanted to have music on when driving is when I was trying to avoid my own thoughts. During my last year at college, when I was running away from a lot of personal problems, I had to have music on constantly.

But if I have it on at all, I have to really be able to hear it. None of this namby-pamby dull background hum where you can just about make out the song that's playing. If we're going to talk in the car, let's talk. But if we're going to listen to the radio, then it's got to be loud enough that talking is sort of pointless.

Abi
09-04-10, 04:48 AM
I like LOUD music in the car. Stuff you can sing along to.

ZiggyFry
09-05-10, 01:46 AM
But if I have it on at all, I have to really be able to hear it. None of this namby-pamby dull background hum where you can just about make out the song that's playing.

At our secretary of state, the music is on so quiet that you can ALMOST tell what song is playing. As soon as you think you can tell what song it is, somebody moves and you miss it. It drives me insane.

Sin.Ziggy.

EshkaronsEngine
09-05-10, 10:37 AM
Sometimes when it's summer and I roll all the windows down and turn up the heat and it's night and the music is sublime I indeed feel like a GOD.

tambo4u2nv
09-14-10, 12:03 PM
My kids think I'm nuts because when I really need to concentrate on finding someplace or I'm going somewhere I've never been, I tell them that the car is too full and I have to turn the music off. Its as if the music is taking up physical space in the car and making me claustrophobic.

Juice
10-01-10, 12:27 AM
Wow .This is interesting.
I too am very sensitive to noise but
I LOVE really loud music in the car, as long as I choose it:).
I can't drive in silence. Too noisy. And I get too distracted .
Music is always on for everything .Even now (old Tool).It helps me focus.
If I am parking, concentrating or getting lost ( for a change :rolleyes:) I need complete silence. Music off.
I too am very claustrophobic in the car .I open the window the second I get in even if it's cold .I prefer convertibles and motorcycles. The open space does me good.

Enigma33
10-11-10, 07:11 PM
I know this is kind of old... but I had to comment. I HATE music in the car. I never listen to music unless I'm in some extreme mood (either happy or angry, usually, but those extremes don't happen very often). I ALWAYS listen to talk radio because I get too distracted with music. If music is on, my thoughts are racing and I get "lost in thought". If I am listening to talk radio, I can focus on something and better focus on the road.

I am also sensitive to noise at home. I hate commercials, I hate the TV in general except for a couple of particular shows. It almost physically HURTS to hear music and TV if I can't focus on it. I have to ask my husband to turn it off regularly. The only music I listen to for long periods of time is Christmas music. Other than that, it is all talk and occasionally church music.

itsanADHDthing
10-25-10, 07:32 PM
I almost always must have music in the car or I will suddenly notice the road noise or some light outside my house. If I have the radio on I usually don't notice it unless its a really good song, or a really bad one in which I must change it. It's easier to focus with music.

kittenparty
12-12-10, 03:52 AM
I am sensitive to sound, but I totally crank my music when I'm in the car. Though lately I've been listening to spoken-word podcasts.

I am able to tune my own loud music out, versus tuning out silence or "quiet" every day noises. I can't work in silence!

Devadip
12-12-10, 01:21 PM
It's the outside noises that make me crazy. The sound of cars passing by, buses, big rigs. I have to have the windows up and the music on loud enough to cancel out the outside noise. I can't leave the drive-way without the stereo on. It's sort of crazy.

danielj
02-17-11, 05:56 PM
I have to be careful of what I listen to because it changes my mood on days I am feeling hypersensitive. The faster the music, the more lead in my foot.

danielj
02-17-11, 05:57 PM
I am sensitive to sound, but I totally crank my music when I'm in the car. Though lately I've been listening to spoken-word podcasts.

I am able to tune my own loud music out, versus tuning out silence or "quiet" every day noises. I can't work in silence!

Do you have issues where when you are really tired that every little noise is amplified by 10x?

buddy
02-17-11, 07:30 PM
I must have the radio on when in the car.I also can't stop surfing the radio for a good song.

anonymouslyadd
02-17-11, 10:10 PM
I love music blasting in the car!

ArtGypsy
02-18-11, 12:22 AM
I do like to have music on when I'm in the car. But not when someone is talking to me. I have to turn it off completely. I don't like it loud, or the tv.