View Full Version : Vegetirianism & Herbal Medicine Question

chipper7777
08-26-10, 04:59 AM
Hi,

I'm new here.
My concern however is about Chinese or herbal medicines. I am trying to lose weight and have decided to go pescovegetarian. I am doing well. I just want to know if you are aware of any effected and FDA approved Chinese/Herbal Medicine for weight loss.

Another question. Is there anyone here who is a vegetarian or pesco vegetarian? If so, how long until I start losing weight.

Thank you very much in advance.

Chipper

Amtram
08-26-10, 11:54 AM
The FDA hasn't approved any herbal medications for anything, which is why they all have to carry a disclaimer on the bottle saying that they are not intended to actually treat anything.

I would be especially wary of Chinese and Ayurvedic supplements, as many of them have been found to have dangerous levels of lead, arsenic, and stuff that got swept up off the factory floors.

I was mostly vegetarian for about a dozen years. I ate eggs and dairy, and occasional fish. As it turns out, I have inherited the potential for type two diabetes, and not only was I unable to lose weight during my entire time on this eating plan, but my blood sugar was reaching the level that I would have to begin taking medication to regulate it. For my body, a primarily carbohydrate based diet, as healthy as it was, was incompatible with weight loss and healthy blood sugar.

That's not to disparage a vegetarian or primarily vegetarian diet, which can be not only healthy, but also friendlier to the planet, just to let you know that vegetarianism is not a diet that will guarantee weight loss. As trite as it sounds, it really is all about taking in fewer calories than you expend. How you do that depends on you. Different people find success on different kinds of programs, and what works for one person won't for another.

Some people have the discipline to exercise it off. Some people can live on South Beach for the rest of their lives. Some people can do well on Weight Watchers. There are many, many ways to improve your eating and lose weight, but they all involve finding something that you can see yourself doing for the rest of your life.

As you gain weight, you increase the number of fat cells in your body. As you lose that weight, the number of fat cells remains the same, they just get smaller. What that means is that it takes much less for you to regain weight that in did to put it on in the first place, so that's why you really need to look for something that you can continue doing forever, long after you've hit the goal you've set for yourself. If you're trying to find something that will take weight off in a short period of time, then you're going to put yourself on a path to gaining it back as soon as you stop.

I really wish you success, because I have been at a bad weight, and up and down on either side of it for years, and now I'm less than 15 pounds from my goal. I'm trying to keep in mind at all times that I'll be eating the way I am forever, and that my goal is not my stopping point. I know how hard it is to get there, and unfortunately, also know how hard it is to stay there. Best of luck.

Squirrel
08-27-10, 04:25 PM
I have to agree with Amtram here. There's no quick fix whether we're talking about potentially dangerous unregulated pills or cutting out a food group. I'd encourage you to examine your motivations for going pescetarian and do a bit of reading on the benefits and potential pitfalls. Don't set yourself unrealistic goals you can't stick with.

Some examples of resources with info on how to meet your needs on a plant-based diet:
http://www.vegsoc.org/info/resources.html
http://www.vegansociety.com/lifestyle/nutrition/

You could also consult a dietician if you feel that you need help planning your diet. The bottom line is that a plant-based diet doesn't equal weight loss, although you can either gain or lose, depending on your goals and what you eat.

One thing you can try cutting the amount of oil you're adding to recipes. Think teaspoons rather than tablespoons, and pay attention to the fatty acid ratios too. Canola and olive are decent. If you bake at all, you can replace half of the fat in the recipe with apple sauce. You definitely don't want to go too low with the fat either, so checking sites like nutritiondata.com to make sure you're in the right ballpark is a good idea. While they shouldn't make up a disproportionate part of your meal, whole grains tend to fill you up quicker than their white counterparts and you can choose between wheat, spelt, amaranth, millet, barley, quinoa, rice... (mind, the only brown rice I like is basmati!). The same goes for lentils and beans and having a big bowl of salad sitting next to your main meal. Condiments can be sneaky in that they can contain more sugar than you'd think.

If you try to cut your intake too low, you'll just shoot yourself in the foot though. You want to come up with a plan that you can actually stick to in the long term. Similarly, if you start feeling dizzy, you're probably doing something wrong and need to make sure you're getting enough nutrients.