View Full Version : day one with dextroamphetamine...

wolfstar34
08-28-10, 09:46 AM
Hello, its been some time some time since I did my first post, which was three years ago. xD Long time. Since then I've struggled with my ADD problems and they always seemed to bother me. After I got health insurance from my current workplace I decided that I should pay a visit to the doctor and actually went yesterday. He prescribed me Adderall XR 20mg. Though I was given Dextroamphetamine er 20mg by the pharmacy because they told me my insurance didn't cover Adderall for some reason. I have Aetna.Anyways, I am only suppose to take one a day which I am. I started immediately after I received the pills from the pharmacy around noon. About an hour later I felt the effects of the pill and felt more focused than I usually do. My co-workers can tell that my attention span is a lot better than usual and even my girlfriend is seeing the difference when I speak. I don't stutter in my sentences and I don't randomly look at things around the room. Which is awesome! My only concern is that around 3pm yesterday I couldn't stop chomping randomly and now a day later my jaw really hurts. Any suggestions?

Proletariat
08-28-10, 10:50 AM
I used to grind my teeth pretty hard when I first started on Adderall three months ago. It seems to have mostly gone away for me. I would say just try to realize when you're doing it and stop. Pretty much what I did.

fgm1
08-28-10, 03:30 PM
Don't worry, the tics will probably fade away in time. If they don't, please contact whomever is prescribing you the Dextroamphetamine. Come to think about him, let him/her know about it next time you meet.

But as I said before, the foremost thing is not to worry, I had the exact same thing, including an annoying eye tic, but it just went away after a few days.

Good luck with Dex!

wolfstar34
08-28-10, 04:59 PM
Yea I am noticing today that itsn't not as bad as it was yesterday. Thanks so much for the help!

βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ
08-28-10, 06:08 PM
chewing gum during the day

and making sure all my muscles, especially in my head/jaw, were relaxed at night as I was falling

pretty much made the mouth issues of grinding, chewing, rubbing teeth and tongue go away. I only do it when I'm very anxious, the adderall just exacerbated it initially.

Naussicaa
08-30-10, 07:55 PM
Things to always get with stimulants (IMO):

Gum
Chelated Magnesium
Vitamin C
prescription downer (Seroquel, benzos, etc)/Melatonin/Bendryl (if other options exhausted)
Lotion
Water bottle
L-tyrosine
Pen and paper (you're gonna write like mad)

stampy91
09-04-10, 09:23 AM

Gum
Chelated Magnesium
Vitamin C
prescription downer (Seroquel, benzos, etc)/Melatonin/Bendryl (if other options exhausted)
Lotion
Water bottle
L-tyrosine

Hey Naussicaa, do you mind explaining your reasoning behind those suggestions? They seem like potentially good ones. :)

DisorganizdMind
09-16-10, 03:05 AM
I switched from Vyvanse about two weeks ago and I am currently taking 30mg of Dexedrine in the morning. I sometimes stagger the pills to make them last a little bit longer.

I used to get the tics real bad in my left eye when I was on Vyvanse. Even on days when I did not take the Vyvanse I would still get the tics. Since I have started taking the Dexedrine they have lessened and almost gone away completely.

The Dexedrine seemed to be working a lot better than Vyvanse for about the first week but now I am starting to feel like it is not working. I'm not sure if I need to have my dosage increased or if I need to try a different medication. Anytime that I try and increase my dosage myself I think that I don't get the full effects because I feel so guilty that I am taking more than I am supposed to. I am going to call my doctor tomorrow and see what he says. It seems to be just as effective as the Vyvanse if not better, but I think that I am just not at the right dosage yet.

I wish I would have known about Dexedrine 6 months and almost $1000 dollars ago. One of the worst things about this condition is Ignorance. Many times the shrinks will just prescribe to you what is new and popular but not necessarily the right medication for you. I think this forum is great because I have obtained so much useful information here that I would have never known about otherwise. I would encourage anyone who thinks that they are not on the right medication or have a certain medication pushed on them by their doctor or insurance company to do more research and make an informed decision for yourself. You would be surprised how many options there are available out there.

stuart
09-17-10, 01:50 AM
Hey Naussicaa, do you mind explaining your reasoning behind those suggestions? They seem like potentially good ones. :)

Seroquel on that list sticks out to me as a pretty heavy duty drug that might not really be appropriate in this situation unless its being used to treat coexisting conditions. Just my opinion.

barnops
09-17-10, 03:32 AM

Gum
Chelated Magnesium
Vitamin C
Lotion
Water bottle
L-tyrosine

Where did you come up with that list??
Mag, yea. I'll agree with that, kills the clenching and keeps your tolerance down.
Vitamin C, big no in my book. Contains citric acid, and it's harder for your body to absorb stimulants in acidic environments.
Downers, again no. So long as you don't take your dose too close to your bedtime, you'll do fine (that is after the first week or 2 of acclimating to the stim goes by)
Lotion, lost me with that one.
Water, a must. Stay hydrated, it's good for you in general and seems to make the meds more effective.
Ltyro, dex/adderall/etc don't burn enough dopamine for this to be worthwhile. And occasionally l tyro and amps don't mix well. IMO I would juststay away from it.

One thing left out was sleep.
Sleep does amazing things to the effectiveness of your meds.
You'll be amazed at how much better they wok after a good nights sleep opposed to when you've slept poorly.

Anyways, good luck!!!

stuart
09-17-10, 04:14 AM
Sleep...plus exercise! Tough to get that into a regular schedule I know, but it helps so much. I say this while being a slob as of late, but I know its what I need to improve asap again.

stuart
09-17-10, 04:15 AM
Oh yeah duh one more obvious: eat.

Gotta make sure you don't let yourself skip too many calories.

barnops
09-17-10, 06:01 AM
Oh yeah duh one more obvious: eat.

Gotta make sure you don't let yourself skip too many calories.

Heh, yea. To this day I can still forget for hours on end....

twinch42085
09-19-10, 10:40 AM

Gum
Chelated Magnesium
Vitamin C
Lotion
Water bottle
L-tyrosine

Naussicaa has a thorough point on the necessities to combat stimulant irritability.

I don't chew Gum, but I do use quite a few mints. Just something to keep you saliva churning. I take my daily multivitamin which has Vitamin C in it. I don't know how much though.

I got the prescription downers. 1mg Xanax to be taken 3x/daily. I am good at getting by with 1.5mg/day. I also have my trusty 10mg of Ambien to be taken as needed. Very seldom do I take it though.

Seroquel, well IMO any nueroleptic is considered too strong of a downer for myself. I have tried Zyprexa, Seroquel, Geodon, and Risperdal. All of them were horrible.

Water is a must thing. I think it should be a requirement that anyone who is taking stimulants should have an Intravenous Infusion of H2O circulating constantly. Stimulants are harsh for causing dehydration.

Never tried the magnesium/tyrosine stuff. So, can't say if it would help or not. I know from reading several threads that quite a few people trust it's effectiveness.

I currently take 20mg Adderall XR in the mornings and then 15mg of Dexedrine in the evenings. Adderall XR is not on my good side either.

CNC_fanatic
09-20-10, 12:12 PM
Lotion is for the dry skin caused by the vaso-constrictor effect of amphetamines. Clears up acne pretty well?!

twinch42085
09-20-10, 04:13 PM
Lotion is for the dry skin caused by the vaso-constrictor effect of amphetamines. Clears up acne pretty well?!
Thanks CNC fanatic. That gave me a good laugh for the day. The first thought that came to mind was the film "The Silence of the Lambs" when Buffalo Bill says "It rubs the lotion on its skin. It does this whenever it is told."

herplover
09-29-10, 05:34 PM
So someone tell me the comprable dosage of dex IR to 40mg of adderall xr? My doctor said to take one 5mg of dex in the morning and another in early afternoon? Seems a little low to me? SHould I just take 10mg of dex ir or will that send me over the edge?

demo3210
10-08-10, 11:05 AM
In regards to the aforementioned effects:
Gum
Chelated Magnesium
Vitamin C
Lotion
Water bottle
L-tyrosine

Gum = cut down on grinding your teeth (i have a bad habit of rubbing my top and bottom k-9's together) and also help prevent dry mouth

Chelated Magnesium = better than magnesium oxide, but any better form of magnesium other than oxide will do to help moderate blood pressure. I don't know how or for sure if it affects tolerance - I have not been able to verify that experience personally. this is one of the most common deficiencies in the U.S. and to think that magnesium is like the 4th most common mineral in your body.

Vitamin C- a great antioxidant. smokers and coffee drinkers recommended about 2-2.5 grams a day. many people do not get enough during the day - Linus Pauling once said that there is a small difference between no vitamin c and the amount needed to prevent scurvy; however, there is a huge difference between preventing scurvy and the optimal levels of vitamin c (something like that). it also helps with iron absorption and surprsingly is actually correlated with lower blood pressure. People that are generally low in vitamin c also tend to have higher blood pressure.

prescription downer - that's a bad idea. my doc won't even give me beta blockers for fear it is stupidly contradictory. melatonin works great and i've been taking that for years. melatonin also can reduce night time blood pressure as well. if melatonin doesn't work, might want to look into valerian (although that could not be good long-term)

Lotion - self explanatory

water bottle - obvious

l-tyrosine - i have heard stories that when people stop taking their adhd meds they take l-tyrsoine to replenish the dopamine neurotransmitters. i have no idea how valid that is.

I'm going to add one here...

Fish oil - omega 3's are great for your brain and have been shown to help with depression, aggression, and adhd symptoms in limited studies. most people do not get enough fish or fish oil. fish oil also can help reduce blood pressure by as much as 5 diastolic and 5 systaolic each after about a month of use in prehypertensive patients.

so why do i keep bringing up blood pressure? because adhd medications will raise your blood pressure practically no matter who you are. i have always been an athlete and had good blood pressure. ever since i stated adhd meds my blood pressure has been whacky at times. what used to be 117/70 is now 160/60 or 150/80.