View Full Version : Cleaning...I think I've found a way...

Trixie
08-29-10, 11:04 PM
I'm the first to admit it, my place is a effing mess.

Starting yesterday, I've been assigning small tasks to myself. Yesterday it was to clean the tv and the stove top. Today I concurred my dining room table top. (Sidenote: I had so much crap there for so long, I found a concert ticket from over a year ago. Way embarrassing, but I'm sure you guys understand me.)

My list for tomorrow is to clean the coffee table, the kitchen chairs, and take my winter coat to the dry cleaner (it's only across the street from where I live.)

Anyway! This method is working for me!

Usually, I'm way too intimidated to start cleaning. It's like, "Where do I start? Where does it end? Oh god, nm, this is too much for me. I'm gg watch some bs on tv instead and ignore the mess I'm living in."

But this...yeah, it's working!

A few small tasks each day!

Impetus
08-29-10, 11:53 PM
That's great, keep up the good work!

I get overwhelmed as well, so I know where you're coming from.

dally
08-30-10, 12:03 AM
Check out the FlyLady (http://www.flylady.com) if you haven't already. AD/HD friendly, lots of ideas and support for how to get stuff under control.

geez
08-30-10, 02:06 AM
My list for tomorrow is to clean the coffee table, the kitchen chairs, and take my winter coat to the dry cleaner (it's only across the street from where I live.)

Wow, for me, that is a HUGE list...:o

Congrats, Trixie, keep it up.

the_atom
08-30-10, 02:54 AM
Yeah, this is essentially what we're doing at home too. It appeals to the easily distractible neat freak within me ;D

dbellca82
08-30-10, 06:20 AM
I'm the first to admit it, my place is a effing mess.

Starting yesterday, I've been assigning small tasks to myself. Yesterday it was to clean the tv and the stove top. Today I concurred my dining room table top. (Sidenote: I had so much crap there for so long, I found a concert ticket from over a year ago. Way embarrassing, but I'm sure you guys understand me.)

Anyway! This method is working for me!

Usually, I'm way too intimidated to start cleaning. It's like, "Where do I start? Where does it end? Oh god, nm, this is too much for me. I'm gg watch some bs on tv instead and ignore the mess I'm living in."

But this...yeah, it's working!

A few small tasks each day!
I am the same way, and what usually happens is that I have put it off, or made excuses for not cleaning it, it has accumulated to a point that seems overwhelming. I find myself constantly wanting to put such things off, procrastinating daily. It's not that I dont want to do it, its just once things reach a certain point, it becomes almost to much to deal with. However, when I find myself doing this I remind myself of the previous situations this has caused. To keep such things from becoming overwhelming again, I take care of cleaning, or maint. tasks daily, so that I only need to do few small things, rather than a few large stresfull things, I still though have to actually make the efforts first, then once I am doing them I am fine, and feel much better afterwards.

Axel84
08-30-10, 08:41 AM
Congratulations dear, I will attempt your idea once I am done... procrastinating! (big sorpresa no?)

Anyway, ive progressed quickly and cannot wait to test this out, for now Im good cleaning myself...

Shlovies
08-30-10, 04:47 PM
Great job on cleaning!

I have found another way to "keep" one's home clean always.... purchase a 294 square foot condominium.... (;)) ... I did and it's so small I have no choice but to keep it clean always ... have a great day guys

ADD2muchwe8loss
08-31-10, 03:49 AM
You know, everyone has been saying, that there is no way that you still have something to clean, because you are always cleaning! But to be honest, I do always clean but this house doesnt look like it, because I am always origanizing something, taking things from one room to the next:-( I have passed up going and doing a lot of things, just because I REALLY just want to get this house done! So maybe if I try it this way then it would get better! (IF I STICK WITH IT lol)

Shlovies
08-31-10, 09:35 PM
You know, everyone has been saying, that there is no way that you still have something to clean, because you are always cleaning! But to be honest, I do always clean but this house doesnt look like it, because I am always origanizing something, taking things from one room to the next:-( I have passed up going and doing a lot of things, just because I REALLY just want to get this house done! So maybe if I try it this way then it would get better! (IF I STICK WITH IT lol)

Yes, it's strange that we have such a "process" to keep things clean eh? I am a die hard Audible member and one of my recent recordings was "Cleaning From the Inside Out". It's a two hour recording and the author go's into various "methods" of cleaning, detailing for us some processes that work for some and other's that work for different types. It might give you some ideas if your interested. Good luck :)

CrazyLazyGal
09-01-10, 01:18 PM
Oh boy, cleaning is so hard to do, even though I live in a small apartment.

The only way to get me to clean? Invite a few roaches into my kitchen :D

marie-johanne
09-01-10, 03:41 PM
Check out the FlyLady (http://www.flylady.com) if you haven't already. AD/HD friendly, lots of ideas and support for how to get stuff under control.

CRAP! Just reminded me I need to buy a new kitchen timer!!! LOVE the FlyLady though I can only take her in small doses.

The catch-all basket on my counter/bar - also used to collect out-of-place stuff, then used to redistribute into appropriate rooms.

The timer, that I set for 15 minutes where I dedicate myself to my chosen task until it DINGS me free.

The 'clean sink' rule - which has morphed to 'the clean kitchen counter' rule. The sink must shine - and the counter must remain clutter free. What doesn't belong on the sink MUST be put away before bed or leaving the house.

marie-johanne
09-01-10, 03:43 PM
Oh boy, cleaning is so hard to do, even though I live in a small apartment.

The only way to get me to clean? Invite a few roaches into my kitchen :D

I've always found that smaller places are harder to keep clean than bigger. When we lived in our big house, there were so many places to hide...erm...I mean PUT AWAY stuff. Little house - not so much. It's RIGHT THERE!