View Full Version : Shock Therapy Messed up my sexuality for a little while

EshkaronsEngine
09-02-10, 02:55 PM
I am a very heterosexual male, though when I had shock therapy I noticed I started turning bisexual. Has this happened to you. Just another caveat for those considering this treatment.

xbeejx
11-15-10, 06:30 AM
I am gay/bi and Nardil makes me way straight.. Go figure.

HollyBowers
11-15-10, 09:25 AM
Things that have such an effect on something we consider a deeply inbuilt part of one's identity are pretty scary. o_O

nova2012
11-15-10, 12:32 PM
Things that have such an effect on something we consider a deeply inbuilt part of one's identity are pretty scary. o_O

Very true. I would never have thought that shock therapy would have that kind of effect. If it really does, why aren't they using it at some of those gay camps that try to make everyone straight? Some people will do pretty much anything...

OP, are you sure that you just didn't notice a bisexual aspect to your sexuality before? Maybe it was subtle. Kinsey, after all, suggested that most people aren't totally heterosexual or totally homosexual but a couple degrees from either pole--and, supposedly, some are right in the middle. Perhaps you're just discovering the extent of where you lie on that spectrum? Just a thought. In any event, it must be a little scary.

Trooper Keith
11-15-10, 01:03 PM
ECT is a generally safe, effective treatment for treatment resistant depression and in some cases mania. While it does have profound effects, they are generally transient and harmless. More common are loss of memories, especially of the few months leading up to the therapy.

I'm with nova2012. It's possible that the therapy would disinhibit you somewhat, but it's not really a documented side effect. The more important question is, did it lift your psychosis?

EshkaronsEngine
11-15-10, 02:06 PM
I never entertain homosexual thoughts ever. I worship the female form and find it completely mesmerizing and odd how it somehow supplies all my needs and very fulfilling and so that is why I tend to worship it. The only thing of note is when I was twelve I did want to be in ballet, this never materialized though. If I do have any homo tendencies it would be for any behind that resembled a female's so really it all comes back to the female form for me sexually. I think it was the combination of medications I was taking coupled with the shock therapy that screwed me up for a little while. Of note this was a complete disaster. The only relief I received from my severe depression for this was when I tried to overdose on caffeine pills and went manic for 1 day following treatment. I will never do this therapy again.

nova2012
11-15-10, 02:16 PM
I never entertain homosexual thoughts ever. I worship the female form and find it completely mesmerizing and odd how it somehow supplies all my needs and very fulfilling and so that is why I tend to worship it. The only thing of note is when I was twelve I did want to be in ballet, this never materialized though. If I do have any homo tendencies it would be for any behind that resembled a female's so really it all comes back to the female form for me sexually. I think it was the combination of medications I was taking coupled with the shock therapy that screwed me up for a little while. Of note this was a complete disaster. The only relief I received from my severe depression for this was when I tried to overdose on caffeine pills and went manic for 1 day following treatment. I will never do this therapy again.

It is interesting how sexuality works, huh? It is indeed both mesmerizing and odd the way we're attracted to people, and it's inexplicable. But I also find it really intriguing (I know it probably wasn't pleasant for you, however) how your sexuality slightly changed temporarily from ECT. It kind of shows how our sexual orientation is superimposed onto our egos/identities from somewhere deep, yet that can be changed under the right circumstances--and probably only temporarily.

I'm bisexual leaning homosexual myself, although I never considered the same sex in that way until somewhat into puberty. Before that, I had crushes on girls and had my first kiss in kindergarten with a cute blond girl (I still kind of remember what she looks like). I think this is interesting because it's in stark contrast to many/most gay (and straight) people who've always known they were gay (or straight). I think because of that, I've still retained some interest in girls but for whatever reason it's leaned more the other way. I wonder what ECT or Nardil or some other hypothetical drug with an unintentional side effect might do to that. It would be an awesome experience to "turn" straight temporarily to see what that feels like. I also always wonder how my life or inner experience would differ were I straight... sexual orientation has so many ramifications beyond the obvious as far as identity and experience.