View Full Version : Extremely affected by television shows

Princess Moon
09-04-10, 12:09 AM
I've always loved soap operas and teen dramas and television shows. Ever since I was a kid I was very affected by them. If a couple I liked on a show broke up, I'd be depressed for weeks and cry. If I saw someone hurting someone or doing something particularly disturbing, I would be affected and feel disturbed for a long time. Seeing something disturbing makes me face pale and I just feel so connected to t.v. shows, like I'm inside the show or reading something, like it's real. Is this a sensory type of issues, I get affected by things so easily. Whenever I'd see anything disturbing I would get so affected, especially when I was really young.

Werl
09-07-10, 12:00 AM
Sounds like more than sensory (no offence, but I don't think you were anywhere close). I personally cant suggest anything more specific, sorry.

Mary
11-23-10, 04:22 PM
Are you in counseling of any kind? My suggestion is to be in counseling so you can discuss your emotions with someone qualified to make an informed decision on what is going on with you. I would also suggest seeing your doctor... it could be some kind of chemical imbalance going on.

We all know that add/adhd is an emotional roller coaster... but it may be more than just that.

Good luck.

danelady
11-23-10, 04:34 PM
There are things that I know I just can't watch. Even though I can picture the director and all the cameras and lights and the whole crew standing around just outside the scene I'm looking at...I also can't look at some stuff. So I just don't.

I actually get a ripple across some nerves when I watch a fake accident where someone gets mangled because I've been in so many wrecks it just bothers me.

It sounds like you are very empathic and very very sensitive.

EshkaronsEngine
11-23-10, 04:38 PM
I love this. I sort of jump into the movie screen at the theater and when someone gets hurt somewhere on their body I instinctively rub that part on my own. I cried alot when a beautiful girl was killed on The Walking Dead last episode. I love this reaction because it makes me feel so alive and especially love shows like The Walking Dead that put us in situations where u wonder if you'd have it within you to survive end of the world scenarios.

nova2012
11-23-10, 08:03 PM
I think this extends beyond what is considered normal and probably interferes somewhat with your functioning. I know I have very strong reactions but they're only temporary--maybe they'll affect me for the rest of the day quite intensely, but by the next day I'll be pretty much over it. Ruminating about and reacting to a movie for weeks afterward indicates to me that you might possibly be depressed already or have a bipolar disorder and almost anything might set you off. It's also possible you're far more empathic than most, but that level of reaction to a drama that is totally artificial is probably not all that healthy. The healthiest forms of empathy do not necessarily involve an emotional reaction, but rather an intuitive understanding of what the other person might be experiencing.

playcrackthesky
11-23-10, 08:50 PM
Thanks for posting this. I used to have similar experiences when I was younger. I got emotionally invested in my favorite program ("My So-Called Life") and related so much to the main character that it became real to me. The series was cancelled abruptly and I was so upset I couldn't believe it. I started imagining subsequent story lines and play them out in my head. I feared that I was going insane.

Looking back, though, I realize that I was using it as an escape from reality and the pain I was going through at the time. I was still suffering from unresolved trauma that had occurred earlier in my life. As a child I always felt very alienated from my peers and I knew I was different, and like children often do, I internalized it and felt guilty about it. Then here comes this television show featuring a young woman very much like me, down to the paralytic self-consciousness, and for the first time I felt validated. Then it got cancelled - rejected by the masses for being "different," just like I felt I had been.

Since that time I've never gotten emotionally invested in the characters of television shows to that extent. If I find myself using television as an escape mechanism I try to step back a little bit and figure out what is going on in my life that's making me seek distraction and escape. I try to avoid watching programs that trigger unreasonable emotional reactions in me. I personally believe that televison can be a healthy source of entertainment, but it can become unhealthy if a person is living vicariously through programs and neglecting their own personal happiness.

I enjoy television, especially crime dramas like Criminal Minds or Law and Order, but I don't allow myself to watch scenes depicting explicit violence towards women or children, or sexual assault. Those kinds of scenes evoke a very strong emotional reaction in me, one that affects my interpersonal interactions. I don't need to see evil acted out to know it exists. I constantly strive for an overall feeling of peace, and it's hard enough to obtain without triggers negatively influencing my state of mind.

To the original poster, I agree with the recommendation to seek counseling if you aren't already doing so. I could be totally off base but my gut feeling is that there are underlying issues, situations or events in your life affecting you more than you may realize, and that you've possibly developed a defense mechanism of focusing on the lives of the characters of your favorite shows to escape whatever is going on in your life. I apologize if I am making sweeping assumptions but the fact that you posted about this indicates to me that you are seeking understanding regarding your strong reactions. In my opinion, counseling is a great place to start.

danelady
11-26-10, 01:30 PM
Now that I think about it,I was very effected by horror shows on tv. I've been afraid of the dark most of my life,it only went away a few years ago. I know its from watching all those monsters.

I used to hide behind the couch when the most frightening movie ever made came on...'The Crawling Eye'. I used to have to hide behind the couch when I knew it was playing on one of the 3 or 4 channels we had on our little black and white tv,even if the tv was turned off.

My hair used to stand up from fear if I got caught somewhere in the dark. My ex used to love to tease me and hide under a car in the dark and grab my ankle when I walked by just to hear me scream bloody murder.

I never got the deal with soap operas. Who were these people that never went to the bathroom? I did however love 'Mary Hartman Mary Hartman'

shysmile
12-08-10, 11:37 AM
I'm not usually extra affected by shows/movies, unless someone is hitting a child. I get an insane gut-wrenching rush of anger when I have to see any child abuse. My legs will literally go slightly numb it bothers me so much.

A few other things affect me too but they're difficult for me to type about.

eggyolkes
03-30-11, 10:37 PM
I sometimes can be.

Saito
03-31-11, 02:17 AM
ohh wow I haven't watched tv in over a year :P

StarlaDear
05-11-11, 06:50 PM
My adderall makes me this way. I'll watch some singing competition and everything is very emotional, and always makes me cry!

manismom
06-16-11, 07:23 PM
This used to happen with me, too sometimes.

I can't watch women or children be abused. Dont understand why people want to watch some of that stuff. What do they get out of it?

Saw an episode of House that aired right before mothers day about a woman with Post-partum depression who hurt her child and I started bawling uncontrollably. Then I got really mad because I thought about the timing and that they were actors who were probably making jokes between takes. I just suddenly felt so manipulated and angry, it really turned me off TV and dramas especially.

I guess I felt like they weren't trying to raise awareness of PPD or help anyone by talking about the issue, they just used something shocking to raise ratings.

There's a book called "the sensitive person" or something like that. It discusses these issues. Sorry I can't be more specific about title or author, but from what I read, it was very empathetic and empowering.

Werl
06-17-11, 12:25 AM
Saw an episode of House that aired right before mothers day about a woman with Post-partum depression who hurt her child and I started bawling uncontrollably. Then I got really mad because I thought about the timing and that they were actors who were probably making jokes between takes. I just suddenly felt so manipulated and angry, it really turned me off TV and dramas especially.

Actually that would have been shot weeks if not months before and the cast would have had any idea about when it would air.

littleone
09-07-11, 05:45 PM
Omg that sounds totally like me...when I watch a movie and something disturbing happens like a child gets abused I'm thinking about it so much that I have to go to bed to think about it till I fall asleep because otherwise I can't concentrate on anything at all anymore. I also act the scenes out in my head and make stories up. When I was younger I cried for hours when my favourite tv-couple broke up or when someone died. I never thought anything was wrong with that I thought everyone did that.

stef
09-08-11, 03:50 AM
The last episode of Friends STILL makes me cry...

NyraLunaEXE
01-14-12, 03:18 AM
I can totally relate!!

Nautilus
05-05-12, 01:24 PM
I do not like to watch violence or gore at all. I tend not to watch negative movies, and that includes dramas.

I feel like it's a lesser form than the violence or negativity actually happening in real life (in terms of my mood/having to tolerate bad stuff) and I want to save my tolerance for ACTUAL bad stuff. I don't mind knowing about real-life bad stuff, even if it's horrible, because I feel it's important to know and I'll deal with it. But I don't see why I should subject myself to fake bad stuff.