View Full Version : Hubby has tourettes

twinkleshines
07-21-04, 08:02 AM
Hi,
Im new here, I was surfing the net to find out info about tourettes and I happened upon this site. The reason i was looking for info on tourettes is coz my hubby was diagnosed this morning, he is 36.
My main concern is, is it hereditory? We have a 5 yr old daughter and I would like another child. When does it develop in children?
Sorry i have so many questions.
love
twink xx

Andrew
07-21-04, 10:38 AM
Welcome to the ADD Forums!

Tourette syndrome is a hereditary, neurological disorder that affects an estimated five in one thousand people in the United States. The cause is unknown, and there is no cure, though there is medication that makes the symptoms more tolerable. People with Tourette syndrome experience uncontrollable motor and vocal tics. Tics are an abrupt, brief, involuntary, repetitious movement or vocalization that serves no apparent purpose. They include eye blinking, grimacing, jerking, tensing muscles, throat-clearing, sniffing, grunting and coughing. In extreme cases, people experience coprolalia, which is saying or yelling obscene words.

Energizer_Bunny
07-23-04, 03:56 PM
Hi twinkle and welcome.

Yes it is hereditary. There is a chance symptoms may or may not show up in your daughter or any future children. I was also diagnosed at 36. My mom has a very mild case of it and her brother (My uncle) has it as well and it is mild for them. I was a different story..........at one point I was high/moderate to severe. Tourettes waxes and wanes. Right now I am doing great other than when I get anxious and I am on medication which helps the anxiety. I also do botox treatments.............I dont mind winking at men, but not all men ;) A lot of people with TS can manage great without meds. It just all depends on the persons preference and the severity of the TS. Many people live wonderful and full lives without medication and the tics may be so mild that they choose not to medicate.

You wonder if you should have another child? Well I have no children and want them and I would not let the idea that my child may have Tourettes stop me. Mozart had Tourettes and look at the mark he made in classical music.........

To answer your question.........to be diagnosed with Tourettes, symptoms must appear before the age of 18 and be present for one year. There must be a combination of both vocal and motor tics.

elainewillerton
08-13-04, 07:19 AM
hi twinkles,I am no expert,but I would say it is hereditary too.My father,1 brother,1 sister,my son,myself and perhaps one of my daughter's have ts to a certain degree.I havn't been diagnosed ,or my son ,but the signs are there.I started ticking before I was 10,it has come and gone ever since.I'm 49 now and sometimes I get a bit fed up of it.I is totally up to you whether to have another child or not.(it's jolly lovely trying anway!!!) elaine x

Piupau
08-13-04, 02:41 PM
I too think it's hereditory. I have it, my dad has it (no dx though), my son has shown lots of tics already and he's just 3 yo. I remember having tics when I was 4 yo. My grandmother has tics too but not severe tics, she just shakes her head every now and then, but I don't see her too often, but that head shaking I've seen every time I'm there.

I wouldn't trade my son for anything in the world even if it turns out he has ts later. He's got an enormous sense of humor already and he makes us laugh all the time. He is very smart and wants to know everything there is to know. Also he is a very good friend, and protects the smaller kids at the kindergarten, justice is also important, he sees to it that everyone has something to play with when they're playing with him and hands out his candies or cookies or what ever he has to everyone who's there... Noone must be without. "one each." he says. Small child with a huge heart :)

bigbowlindude
08-15-04, 12:50 AM
Hi, I just wanted to add females have a smaller chance of inhereting it then males do.