View Full Version : Artificial sunrise lights/dawn lights

Marspider
09-08-10, 07:27 PM
Anyone have any experience of this? Do they help?
I'm thinking of buying one.

APSJ
09-08-10, 08:22 PM
I've been thinking about it off and on for years....one thing that gives me pause is that I have a family history of macular degeneration, which the light therapy lights can contribute to.

I'd be interested to hear if you have success with it.

livinginchaos
09-08-10, 09:20 PM
I have a light box as a treatment for Seasonal Affective Disorder. As long as I use it on a daily basis it really helps keep SAD at bay.

For sleep, I didn't notice a difference (and I have major sleep issues, always have since a baby).

My psychiatrist wrote me a prescription for it and I paid 20% while my insurance paid the rest (thank goodness! I think the light I got retails for $150 or so).
Mine didn't come with a timer, so I'm going to buy a timer so it will automatically turn on in the morning.

jadamgo
05-19-11, 05:05 PM
I have a GoLight by Apollo for treatment of Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome and non-seasonal depression. (Some evidence suggests that bright light works just as well for non-seasonal depression as for SAD.)

It works great... as long as I actually ~use~ it. For DSPS acute treatment (active phase shifting), it has to be used for 45-60 minutes an hour or two before I would naturally wake up without an alarm clock. For DSPS chronic treatment (maintaining an already-correct sleep schedule), it has to be used for 30-60 minutes around my natural wakeup time.

For depression, I find that it works surprisingly well in combination with other non-drug treatments including exercise and CBT. When added to an antidepressant, its effect is less dramatic but still obvious and beneficial. If you're already using it for sleep conditions, the morning light therapy session may need to be supplemented by a 10-20 minute session in the afternoon.

If only it worked for inattention... it would be a miracle cure!

tipoo
05-19-11, 08:50 PM
I really want one, but I never got around to buying it.

A few hours before bed I turn on a desk lamp in the corner of my room so the light is less direct and more orange-ish.

I also use the free program f.lux that changes your monitors colour temperature in accordance with the time of day.

theburr
05-19-11, 11:23 PM
I've had good experience with my light alarm clock. It's not the kind of light that's used for SAD therapy but it helps shift you into a more wakeable state as jadamgo said. And I have a HARD time waking up -- I've either tossed and turned all night and fallen asleep a couple of hours before it was time to get up, or I've taken some heavy-hitting sleep aids to do the job.

It was about $100 on amazon. I also have a SAD light therapy box but I never remember to use it in the morning when I should. When I did this winter, it seemed to help, along with meds and behavioral changes.