View Full Version : Where to exercise?

Layla771
09-09-10, 09:08 AM
I thought great minds here maybe could have some ideas!

I live 'in the middle of nowhere', small town, beautiful green scenery all around, but many places are full of trash, which simply angers me to the point that I prefer to not even go outside sometimes. And it's sometimes noisy outside too, some routes are better than others though, I got bored of some of them though.. Too hot or too rainy isn't good for cycling either..

Exercise in-house is tough, with all the renovations and crowded space.. And there's a loud parrot in the living room where I used to dance around with music, and he joins in with the music/TV, and I have hyperacusis/sound sensitivity, so that's a no-go.. (?)

We don't even have a gym locally (though I'm scared of 'fitness studios' and pro-machines anyway), there are some back-health classes for adults (but I found that back exercises don't really agree with my back, hm?) and some anti-osteoporosis classes (mostly older women though, I'd feel kinda young there, and Mom's back didn't really agree with those either) I think some karate classes too (not sure if I'm not too old to start that though?) I'm not a sportsy person, so volleyball and such are out of the question.

I liked rollerblading or walking/jogging with a friend, but she moved.. Most other people here are married and have kids, and/or their work schedules and busy lives don't allow going running in the morning or such.. Some people are too fit for me too! :) And some say they're not fit enough, hmmpf!

Outside by myself is tough because it gets boring, I don't like some of the tracks I used to go to anymore, and they're not relaxing (possible triggers and trash by the path which make me go into bad mood and defy the idea to relax outside)..

Going with neighbours' doggie is kinda fun sometimes, but he kinda triggers my OCD a bit as he's a bit unkempt.. and he's badly behaved so he can't go everywhere (and it's a no go when my back is iffy or if the roads are icy), he's old and not sure if he can learn any better?

It's easy for me to walk miles in the city where there's interesting places to go to etc. (?) Or with interesting people.. And when walking has a purpose.. and isn't just 'walking'.

So, where to exercise? huh?? Any ideas?

Imnapl
09-10-10, 12:42 AM
It's easy for me to walk miles in the city where there's interesting places to go to etc. (?) Or with interesting people.. And when walking has a purpose.. and isn't just 'walking'.This is true for many people. Are you able to walk to work or school on a regular basis? How about grooming the neighbour's dog so he's more presentable when he walks with you?

Marspider
09-10-10, 09:21 AM
Could you advertise for a walking group?

How about moving the parrot?

I don't think you are too old to start karate. It's good exercise.

Maybe some dance classes?

Find another amenable dog. Walk different dogs maybe.

I live 'in the middle of nowhere', small town, beautiful green scenery all around, but many places are full of trash, which simply angers me to the point that I prefer to not even go outside sometimes. And it's sometimes noisy outside too, some routes are better than others though, I got bored of some of them though.. Too hot or too rainy isn't good for cycling either..

Exercise in-house is tough, with all the renovations and crowded space.. And there's a loud parrot in the living room where I used to dance around with music, and he joins in with the music/TV, and I have hyperacusis/sound sensitivity, so that's a no-go.. (?)

We don't even have a gym locally (though I'm scared of 'fitness studios' and pro-machines anyway), there are some back-health classes for adults (but I found that back exercises don't really agree with my back, hm?) and some anti-osteoporosis classes (mostly older women though, I'd feel kinda young there, and Mom's back didn't really agree with those either) I think some karate classes too (not sure if I'm not too old to start that though?) I'm not a sportsy person, so volleyball and such are out of the question.

I liked rollerblading or walking/jogging with a friend, but she moved.. Most other people here are married and have kids, and/or their work schedules and busy lives don't allow going running in the morning or such.. Some people are too fit for me too! :) And some say they're not fit enough, hmmpf!

Outside by myself is tough because it gets boring, I don't like some of the tracks I used to go to anymore, and they're not relaxing (possible triggers and trash by the path which make me go into bad mood and defy the idea to relax outside)..

Going with neighbours' doggie is kinda fun sometimes, but he kinda triggers my OCD a bit as he's a bit unkempt.. and he's badly behaved so he can't go everywhere (and it's a no go when my back is iffy or if the roads are icy), he's old and not sure if he can learn any better?

It's easy for me to walk miles in the city where there's interesting places to go to etc. (?) Or with interesting people.. And when walking has a purpose.. and isn't just 'walking'.

So, where to exercise? huh?? Any ideas?

scatteredmind
09-16-10, 12:46 PM

I live 'in the middle of nowhere', small town, beautiful green scenery all around, but many places are full of trash, which simply angers me to the point that I prefer to not even go outside sometimes.

I ordered a trash picker upper from Amazon and go on walks around the neighborhood picking up trash off the street. The tool is very handy and can pick up anything from a straw, cigarette, penny, can, or a jar. You get a good feeling just doing it and when someone thanks you it is just icing on the cake.

In addition to the exercise and feeling good, this exercise has really helped my awareness. Before I did not see all the trash and cigarettes everywhere, but after picking up 1000 cigarette butts one day, I started seeing them everywhere. The awareness has transfered to other parts of my life. I really think that picking up trash in a mindful manner can help some ADHD symptoms. Good luck!

Kay.
09-17-10, 04:23 AM
Advertise yourself as a dog walker? It will force you to get out there and it can be planned and scheduled in advance. You can make a little extra cash for your time, too.