View Full Version : ADHD medication in South America.

Netherspice
09-11-10, 03:16 PM
Hey everyone :)

I'm going for a trip to South America, staying for a year, maybe more. Everything is set, I've planned everything that needs to be planned (I'm an impulsive person, always has been. The unknown is always just a bit more intriguing ;>). The thing is, that I just got diagnosed with ADHD with just a little more than month left before I go.

My question goes out to you all, is there anyone who's been living in South America, Ecuador in particular, that knows if it's possible to get hold of these kinds of medicine (Adderall, Concerta, Ritalin) down there and what I need to do from home (Sweden) before I leave?

Any response in regards to ADHD medication in South America, whether obviously relevant or not, is gladly received.

Peace, love and understanding,
Rose.

ideaman
09-11-10, 05:37 PM
I suggest you bring as much paperwork from your doctor with you as you can and then look for a local psychiatrist to confirm diagnosis / prescribe medication.

renka
09-12-10, 08:37 PM
I live in Brazil and there is a strong regulation concerning meds like Ritalin/Concerta (we don't have Adderall here). It's not so easy to get a prescription from a doctor. How long are you gonna be there? I think you should bring all your medication with a paper from your doctor saying that you are carrying them because of your condition. Maybe it's not ideal, but it's safer.

CrazyLazyGal
09-14-10, 12:39 AM
It may be helpful to find a psychiatrist or GP before you leave. Maybe the embassy can help, or you can ask your psychiatrist if s/he knows anyone. If s/he doesn't, then perhaps s/he can ask others.

The next step might be having your current psychiatrist talk with or write to your new psychiatrist or GP and explain your diagnoses and what medications you are on.

If you're leaving relatively soon, I would ask for as long a supply as they can give you along with documents listing your diagnosis and prescription.