View Full Version : Middle of the night anxiety? Just started metadate.

daylilly
09-14-10, 10:16 AM
I'm taking metadate cd. This is my first week on the med. I'm waking in the middle of the night with anxiety. This seems odd to me since I thought the anxiety it might produce would come while it is still in your system. I woke last night with a feeling I can only describe as a mild adrenalin rush. It was a feeling similar to having just been startled, but not a true fight-or-flight feeling. Unlike the previous nights when I would wake up with a worried feeling, there were no worrisome thoughts.

Has this happened to anyone else? I know it is common for people to feel some anxiety on stimulants, but in the middle of your sleep?? When it should be at it's lowest level in your system? This makes no sense to me.

Thanks!

daylilly
10-01-10, 01:42 PM
Just in case someone else has this issue as they start Metadate, I thought I'd follow-up. The middle of the night waking and anxiety went away after the first week. Oddly enough, there was no anxiety during the day.

On a side note, after the first ten days or so, my sleep actually improved over what it had been without Metadate. I am down to one cup of coffee a day as opposed to 2 or 3, but still I would not expect to sleep better on a stimulant.

String
10-01-10, 03:58 PM
I'm going to reply before checking if Metadate is a methylphenidate medication. I experienced the same thing when starting my medications (methylphenidate). I would wake up at 3 or 4 in the morning with a physical anxiety. It only happened a few times. Went away. I soon started to sleep better than I did for the year before medication.

It never made sense to me, either. No one's ever explained it.

roflwaffle
01-16-15, 08:18 PM
I've been taking it for maybe 3 weeks and I'm still waking in the early AM.

I'm not sure if it's because of anxiety, or some other sleep disruption, but it's fairly consistent and kind of annoying. If I'm really tired it won't be an issue, so frequent exercise will probably help.

P.S. I know this is an old thread, but I figured I'd post here since I didn't find much else on this.

roflwaffle
02-08-15, 01:53 PM
My sleep problems have fallen off the radar as of a week ago or so. I really think exercise helps a bunch with regulating things.

karbouris
06-17-15, 02:45 PM
Could you be hungry? Sometimes my blood sugar drops when I go to sleep. Ritalin regulates my sleep cycle. So instead of sleeping 12 hours I'll sleep 8 or 9. Also, you could just be during the adjustment period. I had problems waking up at night when I first started concerta. My doctor gave me Catapres to take as needed for sleep when I first started it.

JustAHedgehog
04-12-17, 06:51 PM
My doctor gave me prozac for anxiety. Before prozac it was zoloft and before zoloft was lexapro which both did nothing! Prozac and metadate keep me happy and focused in college :)! I wish i had gotten treated sooner because my grades have greatly improved and I feel happier to study