View Full Version : Chronic Pain and how it distracts!!

Spirit
04-25-03, 09:39 AM
Anyone else suffer from chronic pain?

I have fibromyalgia and on really bad days I feel so scattered and distracted. I'm going to try some things the doctor told me about to help with the pain and also to help center me. Yoga and water aerobics.

I really hope these help, because days like today, I don't even like to drive.

Energizer_Bunny
04-25-03, 02:20 PM
Spirit,

I have pain in my legs. It was so bad in 1989 that it was hard to drive my car. It felt like my legs were on fire, they burned so much. To me, they even felt hot to the touch. One moment it would be my right leg, then my left, or it could be both, or my lower leg or my upper leg. It was never the same.

They did testing of my nerves on me and found nothing. The doctor (quack) thought it may have been the nerves, then he thought it could have been RLS. Then he thought that it was my birthcontrol pills and wante me to get off of them which would not do because at 26 I did not want children and was not married. Well, he said maybe you should consider having your tubes tied. Quack.............Well, I was 26 years old........so I gave up on that doctor. Muscle releaxers did not work. He even put me on medication that people with parkinsons disease use becuase of something he read in the Enquirer (Did I say quack) The only thing that worked was Darvocet. Well, I went for my yearly and decided to change my birth control pills, and it did help. But to this day, I still have problems with my legs and do not know the cause of it, but it is not as severe as it was in 1989

Could you please explain in more detail what it is like to have fibromyalgia? I have actually wondered if this is going on with my mom, but I dont know enough about it.

Thanks

LindaMatteson34
08-06-03, 12:39 AM
I will have to tell you about Fibromyalgia as I have that too and I am also on Blood pressures meds and Thyroid and Trazodone ok. Any questions please write to me at (e-mail addresses removed by admin.) ok. And I will try to explain what Fibro does to a person as I have that too. Thanks. Linda from Pa

Tara
08-06-03, 01:36 AM
Linda you may want to consider posting it at the forums. It might be helpful to others

pidderpadder
08-08-03, 11:25 PM
Ladies,

You really must go to this site. I finally found someone else too that has similar symptoms. I have fibromyalgia type symptoms, and My chiropractor says that he feel fibro & ADD & Chronic Fatigue are sister syndromes.

Since so many of these arise from a disruption in the autonomic nervous system, I don't find it surprizing. I just think some real research needs to be done about it so that more of us can get help.

http://www.add-fibromyalgia.com/index.html

LindaMatteson34
08-10-03, 03:58 PM
Spirit, this is LindaMatteson34 from ADDFORUMS, but anyways, I have Fibromyalgia and mine started on Jan. 2000 and it s from my shoulders down to my ankles, and I sure didn't know what the symptoms were till David read it in the book about Fibromyalgia, and boy, I sure was hurting, but when I went to the Dr. he told me that I had Lupus so I had to quit the allergy shots for awhile, so then I go back to him (Dr. LaRochelle)male Dr. and he said he didn't say such thing. So at the time, I had one of two choices to either cancel the appt. or reschedule it, by that time, we were about to leave when David started to complain, and then he decided to see me, but at that time, we just chose to not go to him, so we came home and I made a call to a Rhuematologist and sure enough he took me in and found out I had Fibromyalgia through Blood work and this Dr. didn't hesitate to check it out as my husband David had gone to him and then after that I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in that yr. of 2000 so now I have Fibrmyalgia and so does my husband David as he's had his for a long time too. Please e-mail at one of the two e-mail address it's ( email addresses removed by admin) , as I would like to hear from you. Thank you very much. Linda from Pa

Tara
08-10-03, 04:07 PM
please do not post your email adresses in the threads. You open yourself to spam and virus attacks. If you would like somebody to contact you privately it can be done through private message or the email option through the forums.

LindaMatteson34
08-10-03, 04:10 PM
Spirit, this is LindaMatteson34 and I would like to let you know that I did reply to the Fibromyalgia and also to say that I did see your daughter on my yahoo and I would have loved to talk to her, but she left and I would let her know that I have a son name Davey who has the same problems but I think she would do alot more for my son who has the ADHD and of course Davey has the learning Disability too and he's now on Wellbutrin 100mg, and Zyprexia 2.5 mg and he's on Strattera as well, and he has to take Allegra for allergies too but he has to take Wellbutrin and Allegra in the morning and one wellbutrin in the afternoon and then the Zyprexia and Strattera at night before he goes to bed. But we are still haveing alittle bit of problems but not much. But as for School starting here in Pa , it starts on August 27th and going into 5th grade this yr. Also, if I may I would like to e-mail you and let you know how things are going for me and our family please. Thank you . Take care and hope to hear from you and your daughter. Thanks again.

Linda Matteson
P.S. As I would like to send you a few pictures of my little family, Thanks again.

why
08-10-03, 05:10 PM
I just read up on Fibromyalgia...for the second time since I found this site I'm in tears. All those years of suffering with my pain and it turns out that it could be all conected - Add/Fibromyalgia. What I'd give to have had a decent doctor lookt at me when I was a child when all of my complaints were summarily dismissed. Then as an adult - once again if I had a decent doctor simply investigate the possibility (of Add/Fibromyalgia) - maybe I could've been treated sooner; maybe I could have finished school, did something meaningful with my life. I am so angry, that at 32 I had to have discovered all of this on my own. At least now I feel I have a chance...

joanrdtobe
08-22-03, 01:49 PM
Okay here are some general dietary guidelines for those with chronic pain stemming from inflammatory/autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, celiac disease, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue.....Try these ideas for a week: See what happens:

- eliminate all wheat, rye, oats, barley (this means all white bread and cereals with wheat in them which is most of them) as best as you can

- drink tons of water

-limit foods with simple sugars

-eat at least one fish meal

-avoid (like the plague) all MSG (monosodium glutamate)....

-eliminate all dairy products

If you try this, please let me know what happens.....

Energizer_Bunny
08-26-03, 05:12 AM
Joan

Could you please explain exactly what some sample foods that consists of

MSG (monosodium glutamate)....

joanrdtobe
08-26-03, 02:26 PM
Yes, will check...but for the MOST part...I suggest stay OUT of Chinese restaurants...and you will do fine Energizer....:)

But let me check what other regular store-bought foods have MSG naturally in them and get back to this thread....:)

Andrew
08-26-03, 03:09 PM
Found this info on the web...

HIDDEN SOURCES OF MSG
June 1, 1995

Food label descriptors that contain enough MSG to serve as
common MSG-reaction triggers

These ALWAYS contain MSG:

Glutamate
Textured protein
Monosodium glutamate
Hydrolyzed protein
Monopotassium glutamate
(any protein that is hydrolyzed)
Glutamic acid
Yeast extract
Calcium caseinate
Yeast food
Sodium caseinate
Autolyzed yeast
Gelatin
Yeast nutrient

These very OFTEN contain MSG:
Malt extract
Flavors(s) & Flavoring(s)
Malt flavoring
Natural flavor(s) & flavoring(s)
Barley malt
Natural pork flavoring
Bouillon
Natural beef flavoring
Stock
Natural chicken flavoring
Broth
Seasonings (the word "seasonings")
Carrageenan
Soy sauce
Maltodextrin
Soy sauce extract
Whey protein
Soy protein
Whey protein isolate
Soy protein isolate
Whey protein concentrate
Soy protein concentrate
Pectin
anything Protein fortified
anything Enzyme modified

These can be used to CREATE MSG:
Protease enzymes
Protease
Fungal protease
Enzymes

Hidden MSG is not limited to use in food. MSG sensitive people have reported reactions to soaps, shampoos, hair conditioners, and cosmetics that contain hidden MSG. The most obvious common hiding places are in ingredients called "hydrolyzed protein" and "amino acids."

Drinks, candy, and chewing gum are also potential sources of hidden MSG. Also, aspartic acid, found in aspartame (NutraSweet) ordinarily causes MSG type reactions in MSG sensitive people. Aspartame is found in some medications. Check with your pharmacist.

Binders and fillers for medications, nutrients, and supplements, both prescription and non-prescription, including enteral feeding materials and some fluids administered intravenously in hospitals, may contain MSG.

Reactions to MSG are dose related, i.e., some people react to even very small amounts of MSG while others usually only react to relatively more. MSG-induced reactions may occur immediately after contact or after as much as 48 hours.

There are additional ingredients that appear to cause MSG reactions in ACUTELY sensitive people. A list is available for those interested.

Truth in Labeling Campaign (TLC) PO Box 2532 Darien, IL 60561

joanrdtobe
08-26-03, 04:14 PM
Thanks Andrew.....Sure saved me a lot of time:) Well there ya have it Energizer....

Now don't go nuts reading labels....Check the first, say, three ingredients of a label....(ingredients are listed in order of quantity of ingredients, from most to least)....If one of the above isn't one of the first three, it's okay....

Most of the ingredients above you will find in breads, cakes, cookies, and PROCESSED foods....Others you will find in fast food restaurants.....Others you will find in soy products....

So what's the best "diet" overall (I hate the word "diet"):

fresh fruits (WASH THEM WELL) and cooked veggies (raw okay just wash well)......use 100% juices

Salmon, tuna, mackeral, swordfish

Lean chicken and beef

Baked potatos, barley, corn, couscous, brown rice, popcorn, tapioca okay, chocolate okay just sugar - free

Go to Health Food stores for wheat free cereals....OR if it says "gluten free", it's fine....

Yogurt, although dairy is tolerated by some.....

Tons of water.....

Energizer_Bunny
09-02-03, 09:19 PM
Thank you all so much. I actually have wondered if I have it. I have had problems with my legs for over 12 years now. The EMG showed up negative.....but I am on my way to an ortho doc for a bulging disc in my back......I will talk to him for starters.

Thanks everyone.....

Spirit
09-13-03, 05:53 PM
Ok..I know I haven't been around lately. And this is mainly due to a major flame up of my Fibromyalgia. I came down with a sinus infection (which is very common for people who also have CFS) and consequently the infection settled into the weakest part of my body which is my sciatic nerve. I am barely able to walk at this time, and sitting at the computer for only a few minutes at a time with an ice pack on my lower back.

Ok..here I go..hope everyone is ready..lol ;)

I was dx'd with FMS (Fibromyalgia syndrome), CFS (Chronic Fatigue syndrome) IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), and chronic sinusitis back in 1998.

I have tried everything in the book for relief. I have modified my diet more times than I can count according to numerous dietitians that I was referred by the arthritis Dr's. I have seen 3 pain management Dr's., and 4 Arthritis doctors. They all have their own ways of treating FMS, CFS, & IBS. Which none of them have worked for me.

I have done warm water aerobic, went to bed the same time every night and got up in the morning the same time every morning.

So with all of this being said, and after talking with numerous other people who have this, it is an individual treatment, much like the medication, therapy etc for ad/hd, bipolar etc.

The yoga was helping until I had a major attack, and once the sciatic calms down, I will once again go back to precise yoga due to the stretching helping with the stiffness I have every morning. Although I am unable to do all the things in yoga, I do get great benefit from the poses that is used to stretch the body.

I finally found a doctor who is being truthful with me about Fibromyalgia. And the truth is doctors do not know what causes it, only that it is triggered by some kind of trauma. So in other words a fancy word for the smelting pot of something they really don't know much about.

I have been so frustrated with the care I am getting here, to the point of feeling like I'm about to go crazy. The Dr's here don't want to give me anything for pain relief, but insist that I am depressed and it is what is aggravating the FMS. I find this to be B.S. since I am a very happy go lucky person even when I am in severe pain. Sure I'm slightly depressed since I can not do the things I once enjoyed doing, like hiking, running and other physical type exercises, but I have accepted it and have moved on to other things to occupy me.

Has anyone else run into dead ends when dealing with their doctors? It is as if they don't believe it exist and feel as though you are nothing more than a prescription drug junkie wanting a fix. Grrr..that is the one thing that really P.O's me. I have never ever abused any medication that has been prescribed but yet, I am getting the bum rush in getting help for all of this pain. Even the pain management physician put me on a anti-depressant called Lexapro and a muscle relaxer called Soma to manage my pain. I will say that I don't have the mood swings (which started after my full hysterectomy) I once had and I don't wake up with cramps (charlie horses in my thighs and calves from not using these muscles like once did) in the middle of the night most of the time anyways. But it does nothing for my pain. And quite frankly I'm tearing my stomach up taking over the counter analgesics, with little or no help.

Webmd has some really good info on FMS, CFS, & IBS, and you can even join their forum and talk to a RN that sometimes comes on live in their chat room. She is very knowledgeable, and has had some great ideas. But with these doctors around here, I will not get anywhere to fast.

Well, I'll jump off my soap box now..lol guess I'm done ranting and raving..tee hee. But now ya'll know why I haven't been around lately.

Huggz & love ya'll... you're all a great bunch of people. :)

SusyQ55
10-19-03, 12:18 AM
I don't post often, too antsy, but thought I would throw this in. May or may not be important factor. Hubby is diabetic & has neuropathy (sp?) (pain/muscle spasms) pretty bad from hips down. Alternative thought for pain symptoms. Susy

Spirit
10-19-03, 08:08 PM
Susy,

My mom has peripheral Neuropathy in both legs, and hands. Although she is not a diabetic, this disorder is mainly found in Diabetics. Yes this is a very painful disease, it is diagnosed through a machine that sends electrical currents through the nerves to see what responses the nerves have to the electrical current. The last pain management doctor I went to did this test on me, (it has a fancy name but for the life of me I can't remember it) and it was found that my nerves are in fact sending and receiving signals just fine, but with the Fibromyalgia the pain was amplified to the point it really really really hurt.

As I understand it, from what I have found out on the net and by several doctors. Fibromyalgia is not of the skeletal body, but in the soft tissue and muscles surrounding the skeleton, and is most noticeable around areas that have been weakened due to some sort of trauma, or in some cases, mine included, the lack of deep sleep that the body requires to repair it self. I'm a born insomniac, have been since birth. And also I was abused physically as a child and later by my past two ex-husbands. Now my brain just won't shut the pain sensation off between my body and the nerve receivers.

For detailed information on Fibromyalgia please visit this website.
Webmd...Topic overview Fibromyalgia (http://my.webmd.com/content/healthwise/10/2429.htm?lastselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348})

CFS/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (http://my.webmd.com/content/healthwise/93/23159.htm?lastselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348})

And recently I found out that I have TMJ, which can be a painful disorder of the jaw joint. I knew I could make it make cracking noises when I move it, but recently my jaw hurts quite a bit, so I went the dentist who then dx'd me with TMJ.
TMJ = Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction

TMJ & TMD (http://my.webmd.com/content/healthwise/91/22634)

tudorose
10-20-03, 12:48 AM
I don't have fibromylagia but I get a lot of siezing leg cramps in the middle of the night when I've done a lot of exercise. I've found that epson salt baths really help coz the magnesium soaks into the muscles and makes them relax.

Spirit
10-21-03, 03:45 PM
tudorose,

You might want to increase the potassium in you diet as well. When I was a teen I would get cramps (charlie horses) in both calves, both thighs and on the muscle along the shin. The doctor gave me potassium pills, and I increased the amount of potassium enriched foods such as bananas, and it helped tremendously.

Just a thought.

sixes
10-22-03, 12:19 AM
You can also get potassium gloncate in the form of cell salts/sea salts. It is available thru most health food/supplement stores and can be found on line to. what's nice about these, it that they are tiny, tate good and melt on your tongue. So if you get a cramp and take one. the potassium enters your system very quickly.

tudorose
10-22-03, 06:57 AM
Thanks, I'll try that.

Sprirt, try the epson salts and let me know if they help. In autistic circles it is said to be helpful for relieving stress and muscle tension.

Rita
10-25-03, 07:33 PM
Hello Spirit and everyone here who is suffering from chronic pain. I actually just looked at this site but it has been sitting on my desktop for over a month now since someone at another adult add forum gave us all the address. Wow! I have also thought that there is a big connection between adhd and fibro and i would like to read that site that is here on this forum about that but today and for the past several days i am going through a terrible flare and can't get my meds due to no money. Spirit could have written about me with her experiences and I have also been going through the ssdi appeals process since may of 2000. Now i get to go back in front of the adj for the second time. I have not been able to work for years due to this illness, virus, or whatever it is except for lite duty live-in caregiving which I am doing now and that just gives me a place to live and $50 dollars a week which doesn't even cover my bills or medical care. Because i am in the ssdi process I can not get state mental help but i do get help at the mental health clinic for my adhd, chronic fatique, depression with free meds, ritalin and and effexor. I look forward to reading more on this site but for now have to go back to bed since reading and writing are wiping me out!!! Have a beautiful rest of the day and a better Sunday, another adhd/fibro sister in Nevada, Rita

Rita
10-25-03, 07:35 PM
sorry meant state medical help

Mary
11-10-03, 03:48 AM
I am waiting for my doctors office to refer me to a rheumatologist....and they haven't called me yet. Doctor believes me when I say this is what I think I have. However, she said there is no true way to test for it. But I want to get a second opinion of this.

My insurance company is being stubborn about paying my hospital bills. So they're piling up along with other bills I am unable to pay because I can't stand to do any kind of work. (I was in a car accident on July 22nd).

I've been on a no lifting, no bending, no housework rule from the doctor. But have been breaking it, because if I don't do it, it doesn't get done.

I'll let you know if I ever find out anything.

Spirit
11-14-03, 07:31 PM
Rita,

Wow hon, I'm really sorry to hear about all that you are going through. I know it's tough especially when you don't have a support person you can count on. Some things that you might be able to do when you can not afford the medication is purchase some tiger balm rub or spray. I find that it doesn't burn my skin as bad as other muscle rubs and it works deep in the muscle and soft tissue. I actually swear by this stuff. The warmer it gets the more the pain is in the area. It's quite unique stuff, it only heats up where it's needed. (But not so hot you can't stand it like icy-hot does.) Also after applying, try some stretching exercises, doesn't have to be anything that is taught or on video, just stretch the body in all directions, I do this in a nice hot bath, it helps with the stiffness and the restless leg syndrome.

Good Luck hon on getting your SSDI.

Mary,

Hon, I know you have been going through heck and back with your doctors, but don't let them discourage you. There are test for diagnosing Fibromyalgia, trust me I've had them all done. One test is a hands on test on the pressure points in specific areas of the body. If these areas are super tender and cause great pain, then they will x-ray your pelvic area and do a blood test to rule out Rheumatoid arthritis. Although, the blood test may come back positive for Rheumatoid like mine did, but the x-ray ruled it out. Then as I described above, you make have to have one of those electrical stimulation tests. (still can't remember the correct name for it..grr) This will rule out nerve damage, but will also show tolerance for pain as well.

My family doctor doesn't believe Fibromyalgia even exist, but his physician assistant does, so I see her instead.

I'm praying for everyone here that is in pain, this winter I have a feeling is going to be a bad one for those of us in chronic pain.

Huggz & Smooches all!

Mary
02-06-04, 07:58 PM
Well.. I hit the wrong button and erased all that I just wrote. I know I posted to let you know that I was finally diagnosed.

I just tried to post that my blood pressure is up and I have been staying away from the computer as much as I can.

Too much stress if I do get on.

I also wanted to let you know that for those suffering leg cramps that in case you can't get bananas or are allergic to them that pedialyte and gatorade will help stop the cramps.

Last week my sister bought me a book called, "Fibromyalgia for Dummies" by Roland Staud M.D. Very informative! She found it at Barnes and Noble at the mall.

There was more but I can't remember it all to type it out.

Thanks everyone!

Spirit
02-07-04, 04:49 AM
OH Thank You Mary for the name of that book, I'll have to check it out.
Sorry to hear about your blood pressure, and I agree certain things here on the net are quite stressing. I think that's why I spend a lot of time playing video games, they seem to relax me, especially the one I'm playing now. I get to cyber fish in it..lol Or mine and smith things, craft, or make arrows and bows. And it's rewarding when your levels keep climbing.. hee hee

Mary
02-08-04, 02:43 AM
You are welcome! :)

akiss4u
04-29-04, 11:35 PM
Does anyone have a medication or combination of meds that coveres both ADD and the fibro? I too have both and I am curious to what helps both. Thanks

Andrew
05-03-04, 12:48 PM
Could there be a link between ADD & Fibromylagia? Could be!

In his new book, Healing ADD, Dr. Daniel Amen states, "Fibromyalgia and ADD commonly coexist. I think the chronic stress associated wtih ADD is in part responsible for the muscle pain".

Here is some interesting information to read, by a woman named Patricia Stephens, who suffers from ADD & Fibromyalgia:

http://www.add-fibromyalgia.com/page2.html

She also discusses natural therapies that have worked for some:

http://www.add-fibromyalgia.com/page20.html

I hope this helps!

Mary
05-09-04, 03:21 AM
Thanks BIG!

akiss4u
06-04-04, 11:03 PM
I have been taking Adderall and it does help with the pain - when Adderall leaves my system in the evening Ohhh I can feel the pain kicking in and I am very sleepy but I can sleep becuase of my pain level. Some nights I can manage the pain but other nights I have to take the strong ones - like Lortab. Unfortunatly I can not take anti-inflamitories or steriodal medications. Narcotics and muscle relaxers are all I can take. I did find that xanax helped muscle spasm but not the severe pain. I have only taken xanax 2 times in my life but I have taken the Lortab for quite some time. I would like to know why my pain level is decreased by the Adderall. It is unfortunate that Adderall is not to be taken at night. I am sure I would be unable to sleep if I took it late in the evening. I know there is a link in the ADD and Fibro. I have an MRI scheduled on Monday because of my migraines back pain and joint pain. I have no reflexes in both my legs - so the doctor is concerned. He also said that it could be a damaged disc. So I guess we will see. Since I moved to TX I have never found a doctor to treat my Fibro. How can I find one?

QueensU_girl
03-21-06, 12:53 AM
Where in/on your leg is your leg pain problem, Energizer Bunny?

QueensU_girl
06-24-06, 08:00 PM
I find that managing my own TRIGGER POINTS is a good coping tool.

For this, I use a book like THE TRIGGER POINT WORKBOOK and a TENNIS BALL.

Works wonders.

dormammau2008
06-26-06, 06:12 PM
what kind pain do you get? queens girl dorm??

QueensU_girl
06-27-06, 10:13 AM
I have an old injury. It causes myofascial pain.

jamf
09-10-06, 03:06 AM
Fibro sounds like a terrible disease. The worse part is some doctors saying it dosent exists. That has to be very frustrating. I have something similar that effects the connective tissue in my body. My muscles and joints always ache and have bad morning stiffness.

A lot of people will put us down for being weak or lazy. Pointing out how some athelete kept competing even with injuries like its a big deal. Dealing with chronic pain 24/7 is a much bigger deal. The frustration and misery take a toll after awhile. Especially, when start having limitations and cant do the things you used to. Everything feels like its slowly eroding away.

I used to go down to mexico and pick up vials of morphine. Gave myself 4 shots a day, one with each meal and one before bed. Did wonders for me. Made the pain disappear and allowed me to focus my attention on what needed to get done.

Cant get any doctor in the states to prescribe opiates though. I think the shots are better than the pills. Less side effects like constipation. Actually it wasnt really a problem since I have ibs like some of you have. More importantly, I found the shots to have a more consitant effect. Pills take too long to kick in or feel to weak.

jamf
09-11-06, 04:11 AM
We all know about the rat pressing the bar so often to get jolt to the pleasure center of his brain, pressing "till he keels over from exhaustion. How about the rat that leaps back and forth over a short wall to avoid an electric shock from the screen-floor? A light signaling the impending shock quickly) teaches the rat to jump immediately. That's bad enough, but when the jerks running the experiment stop linking the warning light with the jolt and just randomly shock the poor rodent, he begins to deteriorate faster than the sickest skid row bum. He becomes ultra-nervous, develops neurotic behaviors, and is obviously in constant anxiety in anticipation of the pain he cannot avoid.

In psychological parlance, the rat is the victim of "learned helplessness" and begins to display all of the traits commonly associated with "depression." His life on earth becomes unpleasant and short. In other words, he gets mean and dies.

Yet a single dose of morphine can reverse this learned behavior. What took so much time and sadistic dedication to destroy is healed within minutes. What does this tell us, then?

jamf
09-11-06, 04:45 AM
http://www.cpmission.com/main/PDF/Fdebunk.pdf

k31kozumi
10-17-09, 04:38 PM
i too was surprised when i learned that adhd, fibromyalgia and IBS were often found together. i have muscle injuries that never healed from a bad car accident years ago. i have been getting trigger point injections and massage and it helped a lot but its expensive. now i do the tennis ball thing and i have a trigger point therapy book i use. this summer i has horrible problems with IBS and muscle spasms all over had to take meds for that and stay home a lot. i realize that my adhd kept me pretty unaware of my body-not feeling myself tense up, had bad bruxism, headaches. i believe that if i didnt have adhd i would have taken care of the muscle injuries a long time ago like other people would. i have learned from experience that trigger points truly can cause organ disfunction and a wide range of other ailments because of the stress on the body. i just suffered for months thinking it would go away and i had no idea why i was so stressed and why i had so much trouble with my adhd symptoms even though i was on meds that worked well before the summer. i didnt even realize that it was the pain that distracted me so bad. knowing that i can be that disconnected from my body amazes me. my massage therapist says i shocked her by how tense my whole body was. i mean everywhere-fingers, wrists, stomache, feet even my whole head. i self massage daily and overdo it all the time bc i cant stand having this tension. when i massage too long and really go at it i hurt my hands more! so im working on that.
anyway just putting in my experience. i do have much greater range of motion now i just have to be patient.
barbara

ginniebean
10-17-09, 07:37 PM
If you're going to self massage perhaps consider using more compression than using your fingers to manipulate the tissue. I know for some areas that's hard. the flat of your palm has the mechanics of leverage because you can use the whole arm to get the desired and needed pressure, whereas with fingers you have a much lesser ability to use any body mechanics.

For the harder to reach places, consider a tennis ball, laying flat on the floor you can do much of your back area right up to the neck. Do not put pressure on the spine, you can snug the ball up close but be careful as the bones do protrude and can injure the tissue or can themselves be knocked out of place causing a whole host of other issues. The tennis ball can work great, you simply use your body weight to regulate the pressure. Having a warm bath or shower for 20 minutes prior also releases the muscle and makes it easier.

I've worked on people with fibromialgia and the darnest thing is you don't know what you'll be presented with at any visit, it's like having a completely different body to work on each time. The knots just keep moving around. One of the things I have found tho is that a great deal of patience is needed, start very slow, warm the tissue up with long slow stroking motions. By doing this you're much less likely to bruise your tissue as the muscles relax a little and allow you to go in deeper to remove a knot.

When putting pressure on a knot ( aka myofacial trigger point) do not rub, just put pressure for 30-60 seconds and release. (3x) Rubbing can actually irritate a knot and make it worse, you might have noticed this yourself.

I don't have Fibromyalgia but I sure do know it causes suffering. Hope this helps a little bit.

Ronaldchiro
08-10-10, 07:15 AM
Hi,

I think it's best that you see a chiropractic specialist who can deal well with your problem. Chiropractic care is some times critical for those who suffer from fibromyalgia in order to keep the spine and muscles from losing too much movement.

It is important when seeking chiropractic care, to make sure that the doctor is familiar with the muscular changes that occur with fibromyalgia so that they can adjust their treatment accordingly.

marie-johanne
08-15-10, 10:51 PM
During my workout days, I discovered the art of self-massage through Yamuna Body Rolling. It was absolutely amazing. I've since lost my manual and the 'practitioner' moved out of town. Look it up.

http://yamunabodyrolling.com/