View Full Version : mourning the death of my dex!

tlhengel
09-18-10, 12:29 AM
This is probably a really bad time for me to be writing this because I'm in a REALLY bad spot with my hubby right now, but I have no where else to turn :o so thanks for listening, or reading, or whatever you want to call it.

2 years ago I was diagnosed ADD and was put on Vyvanse. Switched to Concerta, then Adderall XR, now Dexedrine Spansules. Been taking the dex for about 4 or 5 months now, and things were going ok until recently, when my dex decided to just crap out on me.

As far as I can tell (which doesn't really mean much) my meds wore out very slowly, so that it wasn't very noticeable to me until things had gotten really bad. Or maybe it's just that I had gotten so used to being "better" that I didn't want to see the signs that I was slipping again :confused: denial does run strongly in my family. How about I just chalk it up to bad genetics yet again.

Anyways....I finally put an overly obvious 2 & 2 together (equals 4, right?) and found myself standing amongst the rubble that used to be my moderately organized life. And I have no one else to blame but myself.

My life is nothing but chaos now. I can't keep up from down, or left from right. Every aspect of my life has been affected in a negative way. My husband is openly hostile and resentful towards me because I can't remember ANYTHING, the house is in constant disarray, and I'm about as well kept as a stray cat. My boss is beyond frustrated with my inability to complete even the simplest of tasks. Even my driving has turned into a living nightmare!

AND I CAN'T SEEM TO CONTROL ANY OF IT!!!!!!

It's started a snowball like reaction in my emotional state, compounding my anxiety and depression into a massive black cloud that hangs over my head every day.

Although, looking on the bright side, my creative writing has never been better! :rolleyes:

I'm so screwed.

I apologize for ranting, but I'm so frustrated with so many things in my life right now and this is one thing I know I can actually do SOMETHING about.

So here I am! I'm looking for advice from anyone who has had extensive history with medications working at first and then eventually becoming completely ineffective...especially if it involves a success story of overcoming your lifelong struggle with ADD and solving all of life's problems with something as simple as taking a damm pill. LOL.

Anything has got to help me at this point, so feel free to throw it out there!

Thanks everyone!

EshkaronsEngine
09-18-10, 01:59 AM
Strattera worked for a couple years. It was amazing I was an NT. I could lie through my teeth. I should have ran for office. I still take it but it just keeps away my depression. Good luck.

Vietnam Was Fun
09-18-10, 02:05 AM
You're from Wisconsin ... just blame communist subversives for switching your meds with sugar pills. They are loyal only to Moscow!

tlhengel
09-21-10, 12:36 AM
ok.....thanks?

Any other takers?

bobC
09-24-10, 06:54 PM
I had a similar storyline while taking dexedrine. First year or 2 were great + then I begain a slow downward trend. I also believe that its only coincidence the downward trend started once barr was the only version dex available (only mentioned it cause its an ez target for blame).

In my case I am starting to think that the underlying cause of my downfall is inflamation. I basically was using dexedrine to treat adhd + it also helped some underlying inflamtion problem. Over time either the dex caused the inflation problem to get worse (via its anti-inflamatory then rebound inflamation) or my inflamation issues got worse on their own. Which @ the worst resulted in me crashing mid day with fatigue, sweating, anxiety, and at its peak some numbness in hands/feet.

Recently I went back to a single XR dosage of stimulants for ~8 hours of coverage per day. My old routine aimed for closer to 14-16 hours of coverage per day via multiple IR doses. In essence the mistake I made was trying to treat inflamtion with stimulants (a poor med for the job). The single XR dosage seems to let my body reset enough between dosages. Causing less rebound inflamtion which can aggravate my underlying inflamation issues.

So far I have yet to find a good solution to the inflamtion so far am trying ~600mg of naproxin per day. Other small things I've found which help the inflamation are hot baths + mild exercise. My current plan of action is to work with my primary doc to figure out what is causing the inflation and find a decent med to treat/prevent it from getting as bad as it was.

BobC

PS.

I also beat myself up over my strugges with adhd/fatigue which push me toward a more depressed state. I personally found CBT outlined in the book feeling good by Dr. David Burns invaluable at beating back depression.

laike
09-25-10, 08:07 AM
sounds like a rough situation tlhengel (http://www.addforums.com/forums/member.php?u=30567). don't know what to suggest, but good luck with things. maybe you can avoid some of the things you're not able to do, i.e. get a cleaner, take the bus, work out a system for remembering tasks. personally i read the book GTD (getting things done) by david allen, basically it involves writing things down whenever you have a thought you want to remember, then you need to take some time on a regular basis to go through your notes - that way you don't forget anything.