View Full Version : I've got till Friday night

salleh
09-20-10, 02:37 PM
Like Livinginchaos and Fleisch, I am going to attempt to tame the out of control mess in my room ......I almost got there earlier this summer, but it got away from me ......sigh

.....my roommate Mike is out of town until Friday night, so I can put stuff in the other parts of the house in order to rearrange everything, hopefull making use of the shelves I had put up ( 2- 6 foot large ugly black plastic things, but they hold a LOT !) and the 3 rolling shelves with little drawers.....

....I can't just stick stuff anywhere, that will only cause more messes down the road, I need to sort through everything and find a place for it ......

.....and making myself do this is not going to be easy.....I really hate cleaning, and a time limit both helps and hurts, it's amazing how many other things are already sticking up wanting to be done first, that of course have nothing to do with getting the room in order .....ain't it always the way ?

....and like my two esteemed fellow forumers, I am throwing myself on the forum in hopes that writing it down will goad me into actually getting something done ....

βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ
09-20-10, 03:22 PM
Ok chica...

I am going to offer more than luck and best wishes...

I can come over tomorrow afternoon/evening to help -- (even if it is to give you a break and your book back!=-)

(Oh, and I've been very happy with putting crap in zip-locks and putting all those bags in a drawer... makes me feel less bad about putting random small stuff together! -- But, let's face it, I'm **** poor at this stuff.)

ADHDTigger
09-20-10, 03:33 PM
Sal- one of the things that I find very helpful is putting like things together. This is a way to do a first sort that makes sense.

Watches- all your watch stuff goes together in one place. Temporary holding and you will do another sort on them later. Right now, all that stuff goes in one place.

Books- all the ones you want to keep go together. Anything you want to chuck goes in a box for Half Price.

Paper- all paper goes in a box. A box is all you need right now. Sorting happens later.

Clothing- do you wear it? If yes, it goes to wherever you store clothes or in piles- clean versus dirty. If you don't wear it or won't wear it, it goes in a bag for Goodwill.

Photography stuff goes in one pile as does bead stuff. You will deal with it later.

NOW...

Watch pile- separate things as you want to store them. Bead pile and photography pile get the same treatment. While you are doing this- assuming you have laundry at the house- shove a load of clothes in to wash.

Books go on the shelf as you wish (I group subjects but that is as far as I go).

Paper. I like the OHIO rule. Only Handle It Once. Bills go in the Bill pile, Insurance goes with Insurance, Important (my Marriage Certificate, his Death Certificate) go in Important but not often needed (except lately). Only touch each thing one time. If you are as neurotic as me, the Bills pile can be subdivided by people you owe.

Do you feel more energized yet???

Don't worry, hon. I will absolutely DOG you till you get this done. I like you.

ETA... When I had to clean my disaster of a living room, my neighbor came over and we worked a straight line through the room. From outer wall to dining room- and made those piles. From there, all I had to do was kill a pile at a time. It worked like magic and I had a totally clean living room and dining room in around four hours. Having my neighbor here was incredibly helpful as she was great at keeping me on task.

salleh
09-20-10, 04:19 PM
thank you ladies, I do appreciate your input and encouragement ....and now, I have to go and mail a package for Mike, go to the 99cent store, and the market, then I will have the decks cleared for action !.....

i wish I didn't have to leave and do these things, but ....I promised Mike, and I will need some food for the week ....so it's a nessessary evil.....

i have already moved the stuff in the dining room off to one side so that I have someplace to put those piles !.....

oh and I have tools and rubber stamping and CDs and tapes and misc. sewing and painting stuff to find room for too ! and the rubber stamps include a whole lotta different coloring pens, and puzzles, and shoes and towels ...everything I own is in this room ......

and Fleisch ...I'[ll take you up on that !

βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ
09-20-10, 04:57 PM
thank you ladies, I do appreciate your input and encouragement ....and now, I have to go and mail a package for Mike, go to the 99cent store, and the market, then I will have the decks cleared for action !.....

i wish I didn't have to leave and do these things, but ....I promised Mike, and I will need some food for the week ....so it's a nessessary evil.....

i have already moved the stuff in the dining room off to one side so that I have someplace to put those piles !.....

oh and I have tools and rubber stamping and CDs and tapes and misc. sewing and painting stuff to find room for too ! and the rubber stamps include a whole lotta different coloring pens, and puzzles, and shoes and towels ...everything I own is in this room ......

and Fleisch ...I'[ll take you up on that !

Good deal!

Remember that I am in my 20's so I can still move lots of stuff without every old injury cramping up on me the next day... the issue isn't about will or whether or not someone older can do it -- the issue is which body can take more abuse???

I say the above so you can perhaps have an idea for tasks that I can help with=-p

salleh
09-20-10, 05:14 PM
OH NO !....just got word from Mike, he'll be back Wednesday night, not Fri.. !!!

YIKES !!!!

βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ
09-20-10, 05:20 PM
Yikes!

So... not as much will get done...

And if he gets his panties in a twist because he didn't adjust his expectations to accommodate a shorter period away...

Well then, tell him to turn around, and take couple more days away to get them unwadded or... continue to pinch the loaf,

His choice.

Either way, I'll free up time tomorrow=-)

salleh
09-21-10, 03:16 AM
eek, I have spent most of today, on and off, trying to achieve some semblence of order in this room ......and I am very discouraged......too much stuff and not enough room .....been moving stuff here and there, and it looks just as crowded as when I started......

.......and i haven't a clue right now about what to do .....

livinginchaos
09-21-10, 04:19 AM
I'm proud of you, Salleh! Just get done what you can. :)

salleh
09-22-10, 09:04 AM
well, I did get some stuff done yesterday, you can actually see and wallk on parts of the floor that have been covered up for weeks and weeks .....of course this means it's all out in the dining room ...sigh, ....but i did get a couple of large trash sacks of stuff thrown out, and at least now I can vacuum most of the floor before I put stuff back .....

....it takes so long to do this because every single thing that I pick up has to be decided on .....it's not like doing the dishes, that's easy,.....I know where everything goes.......

.....I am not gonna have time to do the re-arranging that I wanted to, but mostly because I am gonna have to come up with places to put the stuff.....there''s lots still to be sorted, but about all I can do at this time is to pitch what I can, and do the old stack boxes neatly method ....

...and I can actually see parts of the coffee table again !....which will get cleared all the way off, and polished.....I had it piled about as high as I could, things were starting to slide off, .,.....you know that game where you stack the blocks as high as you can without it falling over?.....well, picture a coffee table like that .....I can really balance things ...but I did find my cell phone !.....

Amtram
09-22-10, 09:56 AM
Hey, deadlines are great motivators! Work it, salleh!

salleh
09-22-10, 08:56 PM
He's do back sometime tonight, he said late, but Mike is a really early to bedder.....so 7:30 could be "late" for him !.....

and I got the floor even more exposed, then found out that my caparet sweeper, ( yep the kind you see advertized on TV , the little flat thing that goes in all directions and picks up just about anything, and it edge cleans really well, it just doesn't hold much, and doesn't really suck up the dirt, it beats up the fetins....)

but the battery was dead......so I put the battery on charge, and instead of sorting stuff, I dyed 6 blouses that I stumbled across while picking up .....so now I have 6 new almost black, dark purple and deep wine colored blouses......boiled them in the big spaghetti pot ( Mike would have a fit if he saw me doing that !) but I erased all evidence of dyeing, clean sink, and the pot is clean ...and all spalshy near spots .....

.....while it wasn't exactly what I was supposed to be doing, at least it wasn't reading, or playing computer games .....and now I don't have to figure out where to put them, they go on the clothes rack !.....that's my excuse and I am sticking to it ....

I also got the front porch swept, all the dishes are done, I put a coat of tung oil on one of the trestle tables, washed my clothes ( I hand wash everything, as we don't have a wa\sher hooked up, we have a washer, in the back yeard.....fat lotta good it does there eh? and I have heard storied about public laundrymats that make me think, no I'll wash them by hand .....)

....got the room carpetswept ( looks a thousand times better) and started to put stuff from the shelves into the rolling drawer carts, ....,( it was falling out of the shelves, ) and cleared the path to Mikies room ....oh and took the tables and canopy out of the car, and put them in the back yard, and then put the books to go to the bookstore back in the car and out of the way .....and sorted the newly dried little roses to send to Janet's, and put them in smaller boxes and out of the way on the shelves, .....

now if I could just figure out how to use a couple of really akward spaces in this room, I'd have something here...

I still have things in the dining room, but not a lot and it's not really in the way, and Mike's just gonna have to understand that I expected him gone till Fri.....

and now I am wiped out !,...but it's only 6:pm