View Full Version : What should I do?

skothr
09-20-10, 04:59 PM
Hi, I'm 17 and I've been having troubles with add/adhd-like symptoms for a long time now. I get good grades and stuff, it's just that my mind is always cloudy and distant so I have to use a lot of mental energy to concentrate on school work. Then when I get home I can't concentrate on fun things either. It seems to be getting worse, but I think I might just be getting lazy and not covering them up so well.

I don't know what to do -- I asked my mom to make an appointment with my doctor to discuss it, but she's skeptical. She says that if I go through the school I'll get labeled as special ed and it will go on my permanent record, and they'll try to put me on a ton of medications. I don't think I want medication, I really just want to know if I have add/adhd (which I highly suspect), and then if not then whatever else I have (if anything, though I doubt this is normal...).

So can anyone help me on where to start?

skothr
09-20-10, 05:00 PM
Oh, and I forgot to mention I fidget and move a lot and can't really settle down and its hard for me to get to sleep (usually takes 1-1.5 hours) which is why I might also have adhd.

Alex9
09-20-10, 05:19 PM
I have a lot of the same issues as you. Im currently 15 (16 in november) and I was diagnosed with adhd in second grade. I first tried meds in second grade and I reacted badly to them, so couldnt keep taking them. But by the time I was 14 my adhd symtoms were starting to become a huge problem for me in school, so I tried medication again and it worked great.

You definitely have some adhd like symptoms, so its definitely worth discussing with a doctor. Nothing bad can come out of simply talking to a doctor and being diagnosed with adhd if you do have it. Your school never has to know about it unless you tell them, but I agree that receiving special ed status is not good. I used to have an iep (individualized education plan) but a couple years ago I realized it did more harm than good, so I said that at my yearly iep meeting in 8th and my teachers seemed to agree with the decision. Being special ed never helped me at all, but it created plenty of awkward situations. So if you are diagnosed, keep your school out of it as much as possible.

Lastly, you said that neither you or your mom want you on medication. If you dont want to take anything, nobody will force you to. But taking vyvanse has helped me a ton and it could possibly help you too. If you get diagnosed with add or adhd than you dont have to take any meds, but keeping them on the table as an option probably isnt a bad idea either.

So basically, if you get diagnosed, you dont have to do anything about it if you dont want to, so theres really no reason not to see a doctor about it. Just make sure your comfortable making decisions about your treatment options.

Good luck

edit: just saw your from mass, cool to see another teen from the same area on here

skothr
09-20-10, 05:39 PM
Thanks, I think I'll be sure to keep my options open.

Alex9
09-20-10, 07:53 PM
And make sure your mom knows what that you dont have to go through the school at all and that nobody will force you to take anything if you dont want to. The less skeptical your mom is, the better off you are imo.

ginniebean
09-20-10, 10:08 PM
Alex basically said what I did, at 17 the school isn't going to care. Also, medication for adhd is like medication for any other condition. No one can force you to take meds and you can be in control of what is prescribed to you.

Your mom seems to have some already built in biases so it's probably going to be a bit uphill. wish you much luck and be kind to yourself.

Michiko74
09-24-10, 02:03 PM
Sorry to hear that you're having such troubles in school. But good for you for taking the initative to try to find out why.

Although it seems like your mom isn't supportive, hopefully you can see it as concern. Also, your mom may be concerned about how she can help you. If she's not confident about her skills and her abilites, her reluctance may be one way it's coming out.

I don't know how much you can do as a minor. If you can approach your doctor by yourself to get a diagnosis, then I'd do that. If you do need your mom's permission, then you may need the help of a counsellor/therapist to get your mom on board.

As for medication, cross that bridge when you get to it. Medication is a tool, not a means of masking your symptoms. You will still need a lot of support to help you manage your medications.

Things will get better. Your mom may not entirely understand what you have, and that's ok too. No doubt she's a great mom in a lot of other ways. Hopefully if your mom is open to learning more about ADHD, then help her out that way.

Good luck! And keep us updated about what's going on.