View Full Version : The relevance of Mediation to ADHD:

Kunga Dorji
09-23-10, 07:21 PM
These two quotes highlight it for me:

<table align="center" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="800"><tbody><tr><tr><td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="50">
</td> <td bgcolor="#ffffff"> Meditation Is Training for Life
Meditation is training for life. If we want to be free, it is important to learn how to directly experience the unbroken chaos and impersonal confusion of our own minds without being disturbed by any of it. Only if we can bear it will we be able to take responsibility for it. If we cannot calmly endure our own minds, others will inevitably suffer the consequences. If we cannot handle our own thoughts and emotions while we are simply being still and paying attention, then how are we ever going to be able to make the appropriate choices when we are walking, talking, and engaging with others? Meditation is training for life.
~ Andrew Cohen

</td></tr></tr></tbody></table>
Never at rest, the mind of the ADD adult flits about like some deranged bird who can light here or there for a while but is perched nowhere long enough to make a home. The British psychiatrist R.D. Laing wrote somewhere that there are three things human beings are afraid of: death, other people, and their own minds. Terrified of my mind, I had always dreaded to spend a moment alone with it. There always had to be a book in my pocket as an emergency kit in case I was ever trapped waiting anywhere, even for one minute, be it a bank lineup or supermarket checkout counter. I was forever throwing my mind scraps to feed on, as to a ferocious and malevolent beast that would devour me the moment it was not chewing on something else. Gabor Mate: Scattered.

That second quote so accurately nails the way I used to be that it is scary. Andrew Cohen's quote really points out that Meditation is the perfect antidote. it is aimed at the same problem. All people experience this mind state to some extent. I guess that is why so many people have trouble in grasping the reality of ADD.