View Full Version : ADD and blood sugar issues...

shysmile
09-26-10, 10:20 AM
I used to be very slim for my height. Was addicted to exercise and somewhat avoided meat whenever I could. Never had outward problems with blood sugar.

But something happened between last year and early this year's winter. I started getting hungry too much when I shouldn't have been hungry, and gained my old weight back plus a pinch more. More than just a regular starving you feel with your stomach. This was sort of like my brain was hungry, you know? My brain needed me to eat carbs in order for it to work again properly. Then all sorts of strangeness would happen if I did not eat. Sometimes I'd feel shaky or ill, or fatigued to the point it was difficult to make a hard fist. I was tested for diabetes but I do not have it.
I miss my old health eating ways. I want so much to go back to that but those false cravings that are stronger than anything I've known before, sometimes I get headaches if I don't give in....on top of that my ADD is making it extremely difficult to stay committed to losing the weight again. I want so much to fit into my old clothes. :( This thing whatever it is is making my ADD symptoms like 5 times worse and I feel like I can't think at all unless I have some caffeine or sugar (both of which make the cravings even more maddening later on).
I have lost 45 lbs in the past and it was easy for me then, but when I try my old tricks this time they don't work cause the cravings are different due to my hormones being so out of whack.
I feel like I'm stuck but I so don't want to continue down this road.

So I guess my questions is, has anyone out there gone through anything like this? If so, how did you beat the cravings?

emerald
09-28-10, 02:15 AM
hey! First off all breakfast is KEY. Even if it's a power heatlth bar or whold grain waffle w nutella. You have to eat when you take ur meds. This will counter act the nausea and shakes. Then just drink tons of water or vitamin water during the day. Eat soup or something small. With add meds this should help regulate your metabolizm and help you lose weight. Just try to make healthy choices and make sure you snack frequently.. Are you on adhd meds?

shysmile
09-28-10, 10:12 AM
hey! First off all breakfast is KEY. Even if it's a power heatlth bar or whold grain waffle w nutella. You have to eat when you take ur meds. This will counter act the nausea and shakes. Then just drink tons of water or vitamin water during the day. Eat soup or something small. With add meds this should help regulate your metabolizm and help you lose weight. Just try to make healthy choices and make sure you snack frequently.. Are you on adhd meds?

I never ever skip breakfast. And try and avoid sugary drinks cause they make me crash.

I probably should have mentioned I don't take medications either.

The thing is, I DO know the "snack frequently" trick. That is how I lost the weight in the first place. Back then I would have something small only when hungry and stop when I was full, and my metabolism would accept it and use it properly. The problem is, my body is lying to me all the time now. :confused: If I try and have something small it makes me feel MORE hungry and mentally slow than if I had just not eaten anything at all. Seems to be most okay if I eat low carb but that is so hard to do when your brain feels most awake after eating them.

Fitness Guy
09-28-10, 11:26 AM
Blood sugar problems have run in my family and I have them myself, but they can be controlled. First off, caffeine and sugar are going to make them 1000X worse. Sugar spikes your blood sugar up, then it crashes. Caffeine can destabilize it. You did not mention if you are on a medication for ADHD. I have noticed that my Adderall suppresses my appetite, which can have a negative effect on blood sugar because I feel I don't need to eat as much.

On the flip side of that though, sometimes I get hungry to as where no matter what I eat, it feels I'm still hungry. And I get to the point where I just can't eat anymore but I still feel hungry. When this happens, the Adderall actually helps because once I take it, I won't feel like that anymore. Not sure if that symptom is from blood sugar or ADHD... or maybe both.

I also get that mentally slow and lethargic thing sometimes after I eat. I think it is just a symptom of being imbalanced. In my quest for instant solutions to these problems, I have relied on my medication but I am now realizing that if I want long-term solutions, I am going to have to be WAY more dedicated to changing my lifestyle. I ultimately want to get off the med and just balance
my body naturally through diet, exercise, proper sleep, etc.

Peace.

emerald
09-28-10, 05:11 PM
It would be nice to get off meds. cant you do green tea pills or just the tea. if you are purifying yourself. i did green tea pills before i was diagnosed with adhd. i knew i needed something. i had no energy or motivation. lazy maybe. just not motivated to do anything. now im on point.