View Full Version : You may have been poisoned!


Possum
09-27-10, 07:39 PM
Were you diagnosed with ADDH later in life or did your ADDH symptoms become worse at some point in the past?
Most people know that carbon monoxide (CO) can kill. What few people understand is that chronic exposure to CO may not kill, but will impact the brain in a very negative way. If you already have ADDH, CO exposure will make your symptoms worse. Individuals who were not ADDH previously, will begin to suffer from many of the symptoms of ADHD later in life. Many carbon monoxide symptoms and effects are caused by low level brain damage, damage/disruption of the endocrine (regulatory) system, and cell damage.
Symptoms of CO poisoning include:

Chronic fatigue like symptoms
Brain fog
Problems focusing
Disturbed sleep patterns
Irritability/mood swings
Impaired judgement
Difficulties with executive function:
∑ Generating solutions to problems
∑ Planning organizing, sequencing
∑ Inititation
∑ Persistence / Follow through
∑ Self-regulation / Maintenance of focus
∑ Self-monitoring for errors
∑ Mental flexibility
∑ Termination
∑ Working memory
∑ Multi-tasking

Sounds much like ADDH, doesnít it? In my own case, I discovered my own ADDH when my symptoms worsened considerably due to exposure to CO levels of 140 parts per million (ppm) for at least two years due to a faulty home furnace. To put that in perspective, OSHA considers 35 ppm over 8 hours to be the maximum acceptable level!

Carbon monoxide
Parts Per Million
(PPM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parts_per_million_(ppm)))
Time
Symptoms
0.2 PPM
-
Natural carbon monoxide levels in the air
35 PPM
8 hours
Maximum exposure of carbon monoxide levels allowed by
OSHA (http://www.osha.gov/) in the workplace over an 8
hour period
200 PPM
2 to 3 hours
Mild headache, fatigue, nausea
dizziness
400 PPM
1 to 2 hours
Serious carbon monoxide headache (http://www.carbon-monoxide-survivor.com/carbon-monoxide-headache.html), other symptoms intensify
Continued exposure: Life threatening after 3 hours
800 PPM
45 minutes
Dizziness, nausea, convulsions
Unconscious within 2 hours
Continued exposure: Death within 2 to 3 hours
1,600 PPM
20 minutes
Headache, dizziness, nausea
Continued exposure: Death within 1 hour
3,200 PPM
5 to 10 minutes
Headache, dizziness, nausea
Continued exposure: Death within 1 hour
6,400 PPM
1 to 2 minutes
Headache, dizziness, nausea
Continued exposure: Death within 25 to 30 minutes
12,800 PPM
1 to 3 minutes
Death


One of the more intriguing symptoms of CO poisoning is an unexplained sense of a presence or something is watching. Many ghost houses have been found to have carbon monoxide leaks - usually from cracks/partial blockages in old chimneys and faulty boilers. I actually had this happen to me. At the height of my poisoning episode Icouldnít shake the feeling that a malevolent spirit was living in my house. I knew that in some cultures the color turquoise is considered protective against witches and evil spells. So, I decided to paint the doors to the space where my furnace was. I painted them bright turquoise about a month before the poisoning was discovered. How weird is that? Happy Halloween, everybody!
If anyone here would like more information or if you suspect you may have been poisoned, you can contact me and other CO survivors here:
http://cosurvivors.ning.com/ (http://cosurvivors.ning.com/)
And everyone, please now that the colder months are starting, buy a CO detector if you donít already have one. If you do have one make sure it works. The mind you save may be your own!

salleh
09-27-10, 09:22 PM
when Tom bought the house we lived in,l it had a under the floor heater, i don't remember how long we went before we called the Gas company guy in, but I do know that it went through at least one winter with us in the house .....

it had a huge crack in the firebox, and therefore leaked something, I don't know what, what I do remember is that we were both pretty lethargic all that winter, and I was having headaches.......we replaced it within a month or so, but we did use it for several months ......do you suppose this could have made my ADD worse ?


and wouldn't that be just ironic, Tom divorced me within about 3 or 4 months of my diagnosis of ADD......and it was HIS furnace that made me worse ....hah ....

Possum
09-27-10, 09:35 PM
Hey Salleh!

Lethargy and headaches are some of the major symptoms of CO poisoning! Yes, it could have made your ADD worse. It certainly did mine!

βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ
09-27-10, 09:56 PM
CO poisoning is awful, I wouldn't wish it on an enemy. I lived in an apt. with friends and for 8 months we lived with a leaky furnace, none of us fared well. We went through EVERY possibility and finally we figured the only thing we hadn't done was call out the gas company even though we didn't smell any gas (two girls, two very acute noses). The city had to put more oderant in the line...

What an interesting piece of information about haunted houses...

I just moved from an Victorian mansion converted to an apartment building, everythign there was messed up (shoddy & old knob tube wiring, sewage leaks, etc.). I always hated that many nights I would feel exactly that something unexplained watching me -- I already tend on the paranoid so no one ever paid much attention.

Everyone who has moved from the house is physically and mentally doing MUCH better, and hey, hey, I don't feel like I'm being watched nor am I as paranoid...

Think I can add that to the list of wrong things at that apt building?

Possum
09-27-10, 10:43 PM
CO poisoning is awful, I wouldn't wish it on an enemy. I lived in an apt. with friends and for 8 months we lived with a leaky furnace, none of us fared well. We went through EVERY possibility and finally we figured the only thing we hadn't done was call out the gas company even though we didn't smell any gas (two girls, two very acute noses). The city had to put more oderant in the line...

Actually, CO has no odor. Natural gas has an odor that is added to it, so you can smell if there's a leak. This smell was what finally alerted me that there might be a problem. That old furnace was not burning properly and letting off both natural gas and CO!

What an interesting piece of information about haunted houses...

I just moved from an Victorian mansion converted to an apartment building, everythign there was messed up (shoddy & old knob tube wiring, sewage leaks, etc.). I always hated that many nights I would feel exactly that something unexplained watching me -- I already tend on the paranoid so no one ever paid much attention.

Everyone who has moved from the house is physically and mentally doing MUCH better, and hey, hey, I don't feel like I'm being watched nor am I as paranoid...

Think I can add that to the list of wrong things at that apt building?

Absolutely! At one point my room-mate and I were convinced that the 3 Greek goddesses of fate were living in the attic and raining down their fury on us. I also had some outright hallucinations, as well. That place was spooky!

Possum
09-28-10, 11:30 AM
Bump! I really hope people will read this since the heating season is upon us. Buy CO detectors everyone, and make sure they work!

salleh
09-28-10, 11:37 AM
I am gonna make sure that Janet gets one of these....it's an old farm house. built in the 1890s, and I think the heater is pretty old too .....


wouldn't it be funny for me to sue my ex though ???? hee hee....."your honor" he caused my ADD to get worse and then divorced me !

fropunka
09-28-10, 01:26 PM
Hi!

Also be careful if you put those plastic things on your windows to keep in the heat. A lot of people up here in the tundra (Minnesota) use those and seal them too tightly. So many people get CO poisoning!!

Lunacie
09-28-10, 02:05 PM
CO poisoning was suggested to me at one point when I was really suffering from Migraines and Fibromyalgia and lethargy and foggy brain. I almost bought into the idea, but when I look back, I've had all those problems off-and-on since I was in high school, no matter where I've lived. At the time this was suggested to me, we actually had a spirit of some kind living with us, but when I kicked my hubby out of the house (for cheating) the spirit went with him. I missed the spirit as much as I did my hubby. LOL Just felt really lonely with both of them gone.

Possum
09-28-10, 05:54 PM
Lol, lunacie! One way to tell if its CO is that other people living with you as well as pets start having symptons, too. In my instance, my room mate started having what she thought were panic attacks - most likely brought on by a lack of oxygen in the blood stream. My cat also got wierd. She would sit in the middle of the living room and cry for no apparent reason. Poor thing was probably seeing things/having panic attacks too!

Lunacie
09-28-10, 05:59 PM
Lol, lunacie! One way to tell if its CO is that other people living with you as well as pets start having symptons, too. In my instance, my room mate started having what she thought were panic attacks - most likely brought on by a lack of oxygen in the blood stream. My cat also got wierd. She would sit in the middle of the living room and cry for no apparent reason. Poor thing was probably seeing things/having panic attacks too!

At the time I didn't think about pets also being affected. I figured my hubby was out of the house part of the day to go to work and my daughter was out of the house to go to school, and I was the only one there all day and all night.