View Full Version : Just started taking desoxyn, not impressed yet

ADDinSRQ
10-01-10, 10:18 AM
I was on 27.5 milligrams a day of adderall. I would take it with 1.5g of magnesium, 1000mg of tyrosine and 1000mg of taurine along with fish oil. This combination kept my tolerance low and the amount of medicine i needed low. The problem with Adderall is the major mental crash at the end. I was useless after about 7 hours.

WIth my course load at school I need somehting that lasts longer so I went to my psych yesterday and gave me a script of 5mg of Desoxyn twice daily. From what I read this stuff is supposed to be quite potent and last longer than Adderall.

So having high hopes I took my first pill along with the usual supplements at 730 this morning. It is now 10:15 and I have some concentration but I'm tired. The same kind of tire than I get when I dont take Adderall for a day, the I'm out of stims tired. I am able to do some school work but I want to nod off. So what's the deal? Everything I've read about Des is that its the holy grail of ADHD meds. I figured with my low dose of adderall that the small dose of Des would work just fine. I'm a bit confused. Does des take longer to start working? Should I have taken more? This stuff is Meth, I thought I would at least be able to stay awake.

If anyone can give me some info that would be great. Thanks.

twinch42085
10-01-10, 01:43 PM
Yes, desoxyn is methamphetamine hydrochloride, but there is a difference in the formulation of the medicine. Desoxyn contains only one isomer (dextromethamphetamine) and unlike the illegal form of meth it reacts differently.

Crystal meth (or any other name) contains two isomers; one of them being levomethamphetamine which is the cause behind the awakening effect. If you take enough desoxyn you are sure to WAKE UP, but please take the medicine as prescribed.

ADDinSRQ
10-01-10, 01:53 PM
As of now I have taken my second dose. I'm able to concentrate more but I'm still a bit sleepy. I'm not quite sure what to do about that. I'm wondering if I should wait for my body to adjust to the lack of the adderall kick, or add a small amount of caffeine to my mornings. Any suggestions?

StoicNate
10-01-10, 02:51 PM
I usually kept my tolerance low by taking 1-2 day breaks off medication each week.
I would take about 5-15mg per day depending on the day.
(I'm also very sensitive to medication)

27.5mg of Adderall isn't really a high dose. 60mg or more is somewhat high.

inbetweenshades
03-01-11, 01:39 PM
I just started the same medication, and at the same dose too.
I am feeling pretty much exactly the way you, ADDinSRQ (http://www.addforums.com/forums/member.php?u=36019), described.

Previous to this, I had been taking Adderall, usually 45 milligrams a day.
(A 30 milligram pill in the mornings, and half of one on the afternoons.)
I requested a different medicine because I didn't feel like the Adderall was working for me anymore. I don't think I had a tolerance, (even after six or seven years,) because it still kept me awake, and I never really felt the need to increase the dose.
I just wasn't feeling.. well, like I was supposed to feel anymore.
I had started hyper-focusing again, and wasn't really getting much accomplished, when all was said and done at the end of the day.

I also attribute it no longer working correctly to the Teva takeover.

I am wondering if Desoxyn ended up working out for you? Did you perhaps increase your dose, or maybe ended up needing some sort of mixture?

Obviously, if anyone else has any information that might be useful, I would love to hear it.
Thanks in advance.

watts
03-02-11, 09:35 PM
Just read through the above posts and what I notice is too low a dose of medicine.

The OP stated while on Adderall after about 7 hrs the medicine stopped working. So it worked good for 7 hrs imo a second dose would have made perfect sense.

Now with Desoxyn the dose is clearly to low. What needs to occur for success is finding the right amount of MG that works best- then figuring out how long it lasts.

Say 10mg works great for 4 hours, then the most practical dosing regimen should be 10mg taken most likely three times a day.

Remember, as adults we need all day (and evening coverage).

inbetweenshades
03-03-11, 12:44 PM
I figured the dose was probably too low, but I am wondering if it is going to work the same even at a higher dose, considering the chemical make-up is different from what I took before.

And of course, there is the issue of the cost of increasing the dose.
I had to pay $210.00 for the dose I have now, which is probably half of what I actually need, from everything I have read.
If I have to double the dose, there is no way I can afford to take it.

I'm really at the end of my rope here trying to find something that will help.

Considering the nasty side effects of the current Adderall on the market, I have also been wondering if at least some of the sleepiness I have been feeling might be attributed to stopping the Adderall, and thus, maybe will subside somewhat after a certain amount of time?
Does anyone know?

twinch42085
03-04-11, 11:06 AM
I definitely think that your dose is too low. I was prescribed to take 5mg of desoxyn 4x daily when I first started taking it. Before that I was taking a daily total of 35mg. This total was coming from 20mg of Adderall XR and 15mg of Dexedrine.

Then I switched to the 20mg of Desoxyn and it was far too much in my opinion.

So, Now I am currently taking 40mg of Dexedrine daily which has worked very well for my ADD.

luvmyprius
03-04-11, 02:10 PM
I figured the dose was probably too low, but I am wondering if it is going to work the same even at a higher dose, considering the chemical make-up is different from what I took before.

And of course, there is the issue of the cost of increasing the dose.
I had to pay $210.00 for the dose I have now, which is probably half of what I actually need, from everything I have read.
If I have to double the dose, there is no way I can afford to take it.

I'm really at the end of my rope here trying to find something that will help.

Considering the nasty side effects of the current Adderall on the market, I have also been wondering if at least some of the sleepiness I have been feeling might be attributed to stopping the Adderall, and thus, maybe will subside somewhat after a certain amount of time?
Does anyone know?

It should work better at a higher dose considering desoxyn is WAY much more powerful than adderall.
Have you ever tried Dexedrine? It's great and without the nasty side effects of Adderall.

Amphetamine exists as two stereoisomers that differ in effects. The l- enantiomer (levoamphetamine) produces more cardiovascular and peripheral effects than the d-enantiomer (dextroamphetamine.)

Dextroamphetamine has stimulant properties that are three to four times as potent as those of levoamphetamine, and acts primarily on dopamine
Dexedrine is most commonly reported to have a "smoother, cleaner effect on CNS stimulation."

dominil
11-16-11, 07:29 PM
dexedrine(d-amphetamine) is very similar to desoxyn(d-methamphetamine)(both are the D-isomers). Both give about the same increase in dopamine levels while only slightly increasing norepinephrine(compared to the l-isomers). D-meth shows the lowest increases in norepinephrine levels out of the amphetamines and methamphetamines.

Another difference between d-meth and d-amp is d-meth increases serotonin levels much greater than D-amp.(L-meth also causes increased serotonin levels)

Reference:
The Journal of Neuroscience, February 1995, 75(2): 1309-1317

Hippocampus Norepinephrine, Caudate Dopamine and Serotonin, and’
Behavioral Responses to the Stereoisomers of Amphetamine and
Methamphetamine
Ronald Kuczenski,’ David S. Segal,’ Arthur K. Cho,2 and William Melega2