View Full Version : LD or ADHD?

Tracy23
10-01-10, 05:34 PM
My son (1st grader) was diagnosed ADHD 1 year ago and is on Concerta. While it's calmed him down tremenously, and done amazing things with his behavior, his teacher at school says he's still struggling, alot.

She reads him a story, closes the book and asks him to tell her about the story and he has no idea, can't answer a question about it.

Can't grasp routine - kids walk in the morning and are all taking off jackets and hanging up jackets and bags in their cubbies. My son is sitting at his desk with jacket and backback on.

Puts a list of sight words in front of him and he knows little to none (been working on these since Kindergarten). Yet an hour later puts the same list in front of him and he knows all but one.

Says he seems to be "off somewhere else" while there. His mind is somewhere else, he's just not there.
Consistently writes letters backwards, does it seconds after teacher shows him the correct way.

As of today as reverted to writing in all capital letters.

Asks kids to all come and sit on the rug for story time. Whole class gets up - my son included and everyone walks to the rug. Everyone sits, my son is standing all by himself surrounded by everyone else sitting around him. The teacher has to remind him specifically to sit down.

Are these things part of his ADHD or could this be a LD? We've increased his ADHD meds and there is little to no change.
Advice and suggestions greatly appreciated.

StoicNate
10-01-10, 05:38 PM
Was he like this before medication?

Werl
10-01-10, 10:39 PM
Other than comprehension most of those things are not rare for kids to have at that age.

ginniebean
10-01-10, 10:52 PM
Many kids have learning disabilities along with adhd. You could read me a book and I wouldn't get anything out of it. I have auditory processing issues which means lectures.. pfft .. I get nothing.

You can ask that he be assessed for learning disabilities (in writing or it doesn't count)

Does your son have an IEP? (again in writing or it doesn't count)

You can't wait to get this sort of thing done.. beginning of the school year is a fantastic time.

Werl
10-01-10, 10:54 PM
You could read me a book and I wouldn't get anything out of it.

I'm quite the opposite. I have a Nonverbal Learning Disorder.

mimi'sdreaming
10-11-10, 09:59 AM
I'm quite the opposite. I have a Nonverbal Learning Disorder.

Werl, I've read a good bit about NLD. Would you mind telling me what it's like for you?

Werl
10-11-10, 10:37 AM
First thing I must point out is hat I have a mild case. You could tell me how to do something and I will understand it right away, although I have greate reading comprehension anything that has any hidden meaning I will not get even if read to me. My handwriting is terrible. That's all I can think of for now, just post if you have any more questions.