View Full Version : Klonopin

Naussicaa
10-02-10, 04:10 AM
What experience do you guys with ADD have with this drug if you were prescribed it and have ADD? It seems to help a lot for me, better than stimulants, and I don't know why that is. Its very odd, considering its a sedative.

emerald
10-02-10, 07:59 PM
From what I've gathered, it is a skeletal relaxant. I used to take it at night to help me sleep and bring me down from the add meds. I was on 2mgs and I felt like it didn't really do much though. I didn't feel any more relaxed than a glass of wine consumed would do.

JudithD
10-02-10, 08:31 PM
I've been on Klonopin for years. 1 mg x 2 daily. It was for anxiety, but I didn't find it helped with the ADD. It just makes me relaxed and tired.

sir_taps_alot
10-22-10, 08:52 PM
2mg of klonopin (clonazepam) is equivalent to 40mg of valium(diazepam).

That's a significant dose.

Possum
10-22-10, 09:30 PM
I was on klonopin for a couple of years - I used it mostly for sleep. I never noticed that it did anything for my ADD one way or the other. My PA has a hang-up about prescribing both a stim and a sedative, so no more klonopin for me.

quirkyscrawler
10-28-10, 02:34 AM
My old pdoc started me on a 2mg/day dose of Klonopin...I don't know why he did that. I wish he would have tried 1mg first, and if that didn't work, then increased...I was having a lot of rebound anxiety from Ativan, so I think he thought that I had Panic Disorder...he later revised his diagnosis to be Anxiety NOS. I'm still on the 2mg dose...at some point I'd really like to cut down to 1.5 or 1mg.

den4
10-28-10, 05:13 AM
Perhaps because it relaxes you and therefor you could concentrate better.

APSJ
10-28-10, 07:42 AM
Klonopin is the brand name for clonazepam (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clonazepam) a benzodiazapine, like Valium or Ativan.

It's typically prescribed as an anti-convulsant and anxiolytic.

I've been taking it for over a decade to treat anxiety, alongside ritalin to treat ADHD.

The klonopin actually increases my ADHD symptoms slightly and decreases the effectiveness of the ritalin, meaning I don't get maximum effect from either med, but have found a balance which lets me function. I've never heard of Klonopin, or any benzodiazapine improving ADHD symptoms before.

Naussicaa
12-10-10, 02:27 AM
I forgot to check this thread, my bad!
APSJ, I love Calvin and Hobbes too!

The next time I see my doctor I am going to ask him if I might have a thyroid condition, since it seems to help with my ADD. It also decreases the effect of Adderall.

Abi
12-10-10, 05:39 AM
Nausicaa do you know hollywood?

khunter
12-20-10, 11:11 AM
What experience do you guys with ADD have with this drug if you were prescribed it and have ADD? It seems to help a lot for me, better than stimulants, and I don't know why that is. Its very odd, considering its a sedative.

Yes I have the same effect.

Clonazepam seems to help me concentrate much better.

When I take Ritalin, I feel my thoughts racing.

DennisSmith
12-21-10, 11:18 PM
Klonopin binds to the GABA receptors, so if you're on a stimulant than it will ease the physiological effects to the central nervous system.

If you were to consider Manslow's Hierarchy of needs, Klonipin helps with the security of body. The relaxation it causes can sometimes be the missing link to a more encompassing remedy for the mind and body.

StoicNate
12-21-10, 11:43 PM
The withdrawal can be deadly if not tapered off of any Benzo.

Naussicaa
12-24-10, 03:20 AM
Nausicaa do you know hollywood?
I don't know what you mean. He is on the forums I suppose and I disagree with some of the things he says.

Yes I have the same effect.

Clonazepam seems to help me concentrate much better.

When I take Ritalin, I feel my thoughts racing.
I think I may have been misdiagnosed. Oh no. :( I fit all the criteria, but as ADD drugs help everyone it might have masked some sort of problem? I might have a thyroid condition.

Klonopin binds to the GABA receptors, so if you're on a stimulant than it will ease the physiological effects to the central nervous system.

If you were to consider Manslow's Hierarchy of needs, Klonipin helps with the security of body. The relaxation it causes can sometimes be the missing link to a more encompassing remedy for the mind and body.

Yes, hence the weakening of the drug. Dexedrine taken in low doses tends to make me sleepy rather than excite me. I might try that as well, but I don't really want to be sleepy, its either very weakly stimulation, or a really nasty I'M TIRED.

At the rate I'm using them I don't think I will have withdrawals, but who knows, tell me that after I bite off my tongue from seizures! :D

DennisSmith
12-24-10, 03:35 PM
At the rate I'm using them I don't think I will have withdrawals, but who knows, tell me that after I bite off my tongue from seizures! :D

The worst withdrawal effects I've had with Klonopin are restlessness, and a deep tension that almost goes down to the skeleton.

Klonopin being a skeletal relaxant and all...the withdrawal makes it feel like your skeleton wants to leap out of your body, put on a top hat, and dance to "Puttin' On The Ritz"

Good luck!

anxiousguy26
12-24-10, 06:16 PM
I'm currently taking 1 mg of klonopin (generic) every night and have adhd as well (adderrall for that). I haven't had any negative side effects but fear that if I was to remove one of the medicines or was to stop taking one of them I might go crazy!

DennisSmith
12-24-10, 08:08 PM
I'm not feeling very confident about my clonazepam prescription anymore.

About a year ago when I first was introduced to the medication, 0.50mg guaranteed a good nights sleep without any disturbances. I tapered off of it in August.

I began taking 0.50mg in the evenings again this month, only it hasn't helped me sleep at all. Instead of sleeping, I'll just end up feeling less anxiety about the fact that I can't get sleep. Then when I do fall asleep, it's only about 4 or 5 hours.

I just want it to work the way it used to :(

Naussicaa
12-27-10, 12:23 AM
Oh boy I don't like this anymore. I am getting small memory problems. I forgot the word 'alternator' for my car about 10 times this week, I keep forgetting small things and it bothers me. My smartphone keeps me smart, but I am getting stupid on them. I get some awful working memory problems.

bgrimes8533
12-27-10, 03:30 AM
"2mg of klonopin (clonazepam) is equivalent to 40mg of valium(diazepam). That's a significant dose."

According to Dr. Heather Ashton, it is.

This statement is NOT a medical fact...the "benzodiazepine equivalency chart" from which this statement comes from is based upon Dr. Ashton's observations made while running a sedative/hypnotic drug detox facility in the UK. I would also like to mention that other benzodiazepine equivalency charts have popped up all over the Internet, many of them differing from her original one...either as a result of careless mistakes while folks hastily copied and pasted or re-typed the chart to put up on one of the thousands of fear-mongering websites proclaiming that "benzos" are evil and must be downright outlawed.:confused:

I am NOT trying to "call you out" insult you, but merely point out that this post is written as though it is fact and, to top it off, is basically saying that the user is taking too much. 2mg of Klonopin isn't a small dose but by no means is it a HUGE one. The same goes for stimulants...saying that 30mg of Dexedrine is a "significant dose" depends upon who is taking it and what their symptoms are; there is no right or wrong dose...unless hundreds upon hundreds of milligrams are taken daily...then, there might be a problem. (By the way, I am prescribed the above mentioned dose of Dexedrine...;)).

Also, when comparing benzodiazepines using Dr. Ashton's chart (the only reputable one, for lack of a better word), the chart fails to account for the different properties associated with different benzos. For example, Valium/diazepam has stronger muscle relaxant and hypnotic properties while, at the same time, has relatively weaker anti-anxiety properties when compared to Klonopin/clonazepam...HOWEVER, this depends on the dose. For instance, 0.5mg of Klonopin may be "equal" to 10mg Valium according to the chart, but 10mg of Valium is going to relax your muscles a hellofa lot more than 0.5mg's of Klonopin. It's also going to make you a lot more tired.

LONG STORY SHORT:

These equivalents [referring to chart on website] do not agree with those used by some authors . They are firmly based on clinical experience during switch-over to diazepam[Valium] [I]at start of withdrawal programs but may vary between individuals.

So, you can SEE that these "equivalencies" are based upon the people who were crossing over from their particular "benzo of use" onto Valium in preparation for the "weening" phase of their detox program while under the care of Dr. Heather Ashton (a doctor that should be commended for all the great stuff she's done). It's just that I get upset when people take the "this benzo is equal to that benzo" theory as Scripture when it's actually only referring to the "Valium crossovers" mentioned above in italics.:( This stuff is not black and [white]...it varies. Just one more example: When I (personally) switched...or "crossed over" from 2mg of Xanax daily on to Valium, I only needed 30mg Valium as opposed to the recommended 40mg--this piece of information is pretty important as these benzo charts state that both Xanax and Klonopin are of equal potency (i.e. 2mg Xanax = 2mg Klonopin = 40mg Valium), which from my experience, is false...at least with Xanax.

Now, to answer Naussica's (the OP's???) question...

Right now, I am on 1.5mg of Klonopin daily, separated into three doses, each dose 0.5mg. Except for the occasional heart palpitation (which stimulants can give me as well), I'm loving it. I am no stranger to benzos; I have been on them for about 5 years now and have taken Xanax (alprazolam), Klonopin (clonazepam), Valium (diazepam), Ativan (lorazepam), Restoril (temazepam), Serax (oxazepam), and some "Z-drugs" like Ambien (zolpidem) and Imovane/Zimovane (zopiclone), so "I've been around the block," so to speak... in a non-sexual way:D. I also have an unhealthy amount of knowledge about them if you haven't yet realized. I am on the generic version of Klonopin, which is called "clonazepam" (made be TEVA):eek:, but it just so happens that TEVA's clonazepam is regarded by many, many people on the Internet as being almost identical, and in some cases, BETTER, than the brand-name made by Roche. However, the appearance of their tablets have changed and the now print "TEVA" in big, bold lettering on one side of the tablet. I have not noticed a difference between the old ones and the new ones, except for the placebo effect (as in: "oh, no...these ones look different and are a lot harder to split in half, I suppose it's not as good." - Me):)... I called them up and spoke to a nice lady and she said that their tried and true (IMHO) generic formulation hasn't changed a bit ingredients-wise. However, they are, as I mentioned, "harder" and not as soft and crumbly as the "old" ones.:D I guess beggers can't be choosers.:p

I like my TEVA clonazepam, but wouldn't touch their generic Dexedrine IR tablets with a ten-foot poll!

Sorry for the rambling (and no hard feelings),

- Ben

***All things I have posted above are my (and others') opinions...NOT medical advice, so please speak to your doctor, pharmacist, or other certified healthcare professional for more accurate advice. I do not intend to diagnose, treat, or cure anyone; everything I post is for entertainment purposes only.*** ...I just want to cover my bottom, folks...;) I hope nobody's feelings are hurt...seriously. All smiles!:):):)

The following is considered the "official", up-to-date Benzodiazepine Equivalency Chart/Table...just copy 'n paste it:

http://www.benzo.org.uk/bzequiv.htm

http://www.benzo.org.uk/bzequiv.htm

Naussicaa
12-28-10, 02:53 AM
I get them from quality pharmaceuticals, nothing bad, I tried Mylan brand, but it might have just been me not doing anything anxious so I wasn't able to feel anything. Teva/Barr's Dexedrine is nothing to write home about either. I have a nasty habit of forgetting stuff, so I just avoided a lot of anxiety causing stuff for the time being. Klonopin feels like nothing to me, but Xanax which I use occasionally is really strong, it doesn't knock me out anymore, but it makes me extremely tired.

bgrimes8533
12-28-10, 03:54 AM
Yeah...Xanax is like an atom bomb to anxiety--it completely destroys it in its tracks. However, because of its short half-life, it can cause terrible "rebound" anxiety as it quickly leaves your system, ESPECIALLY if you are physically habituated to it. When I was on Valium, I could take it once daily sometimes or even skip a day (rarely) and feel absolutely ZERO rebound...which, in my case, is withdrawal, as I've been taking benzos for too long and would do almost anything to stop them. I recently switched from 5mg Valium taken 3x daily (15mg) to 0.5mg Klonopin taken 3x daily, which, because of it's shorter half-life, produces mild (knocks on wood) withdrawal symptoms in me when I skip a dose.

My advice to you is to stay away from them if you're looking to take something for anxiety (or whatever you're taking them for) and use them VERY sparingly on an as-needed basis, except if your doctor says otherwise. HOWEVER, I don't always do this, so some of my meds are dosed less frequently than they're supposed to be. Believe me when I say "benzo withdrawal is HELL." I came off of 2mg Xanax PLUS 2mg Klonopin, both taken daily (and with a couple other benzos) and here I am, about 4 years later, still dealing with some residual so-called "post-acute withdrawal" symptoms, like "burning sensations on skin" and "weird reactions to sugar" and "strange autonomic nervous system issues."...etc., etc. etc.

I would like to remain on the Klonopin a bit as to allow my body to repair any messed up GABA-A receptors and allow for my nervous system to stabilize. That's what the Valium was for but I've pretty much been doing the "one step forward, two steps back" routine in terms of benzo taper; I am comfortable where I am at right now and don't want to screw anything up.

Basically, Klonopin isn't as good for anxiety as other benzos like Xanax, but like I say..."everybody is different." Also, Klonopin is preferred by many doctors as it's "smoother" and lasts longer (generally speaking). AND YES, benzos can make ADD much worse but can also improve it too (i.e. slows down your brain and allows you to think more clearly)...although that "thinking" usually won't be your best "thinking" as these drugs (esp. ones with greater amnesic properties), tend to "muddle" your thinking and make you feel a little less smart.:D

1 More important piece of info to add: Klonopin's active ingredient "clonazepam" seems to have a slightly sweet and "minty" flavor to it, so if it sits in your mouth long enough and begins to dissolve, keep it there briefly (as in 30 seconds or less) and then, after you swallow it, suck in some air through your mouth, letting the air pass around your tongue... Why? Simple. BECAUSE you should feel a "cold" and minty sensation, which serves as a pretty good indicator as to how "potent" your generic Klonopin is, as like I mentioned earlier, clonazepam has those tastes attributed to it (at least from my personal and lengthy trials with this particular med and from other people's posts on various Internet forums...)

Good luck to you and PLEASE always follow what your doctor recommends because I'm not one (or any other healthcare professional that' qualified to give medical advice...just opinions, really...),

- Ben

JackieRabbit
12-28-10, 08:56 AM
Clonezepan is one hell of a potent drug. it is not uncommon to start at .25mg (half a .5mg pill). I can tell you, I have abused my body with substances..having been a heavy drinker, smoking, pot users, and occassionally cocaine user, .25mg of klonopin hit me for sure. It also has an EXTREMELY long half life (a few days)...it can be very sedating..so some people take it at night.

I can remember taking my first dose a few years ago, and literally feeling like I was in a dream..I dont know if it was the drug, or the fact that I had no anxiety. But it was the first time I was like 'holy ****, THIS is what the world looks like???' I didnt have anxiety. It was exciting, but almost WEIRD! I had anxiety my entire life.

The best way I can describe benzo medication is that you feel like you've had a few drinks, without the other effects of alcohol (dizzyness, flushing, sweating, etc)..My experience is that the benzos (xanax, klonopin, etc) knock me out, but once that wears off, I seem to be good for a while. They are the miracle anxiety drugs, but they have some major drawbacks..they can make you tired, unenergetic, and the ironic thing is you may have less anxiety but just want to veg out. I can compare klonopin to smoking weed. It might make you relax, but you kind of just want to listen to music alone! Hey, this could be good or bad, depending on what you're looking for...

Perhaps the worst (and scariest) part of the benzo family is that they are addicting. Like, truly addiciting..as in, they change the way your brain's electrical impulses work, and if you get hooked, you can hurt yourself if you quit taking them. They act similar to alcohol...you must titrate off this drug if you take a lot of it...but if you take it as directed, you should be fine. But it is always stressed not to take benzos for a long time...still, people do it. I dont know, you be the judge.

The best way to use them is to use them when you NEED them..however a lot of people claim they need them all the time..which might be true. In that case, keep the dose very low (like .5mg/day ) and then when you DO really need them (you know...airplane flight, public performance, surgery, death in family, horrible break-up, job interview, whatever stresses you beyond belief), take the extra dose. That is when they work the best. Your body will become tolerant VERY quickly to these things.

A lot of people want these drugs, and they DO work. However, you must respect them, or they'll come back and make your life hell. Take them as directed, and you'll be fine. Remember there is a difference between a carrying a bottle of klonopin in your pocket vs in your blood. Dont take it unless you really need it. Good luck and take care!!

Jackie

bgrimes8533
12-28-10, 06:05 PM
The best way to use them is to use them when you NEED them..however a lot of people claim they need them all the time..which might be true. In that case, keep the dose very low (like .5mg/day ) and then when you DO really need them (you know...airplane flight, public performance, surgery...

Oh, NO, no, no! PLEASE DON'T TAKE Klonopin (clonazepam) OR ANY OTHER BENZODIAZEPINE BEFORE SURGERY!!! This could interact dangerously with the anesthetic medications they may give you, causing you to possibly DIE!; ONLY do something like this if you've told the doctor(s) and staff that will be operating on you beforehand and NOT on the day of surgery!!! Make sure the operating doctor as well as the anesthesiologist KNOWS ABOUT EVERY SINGLE MEDICATION (EVEN OTC DRUGS) waaay before the day of surgery arrives, that way they can make adjustments to what drugs they may administer to you the day of surgery. Chances are they'll give you something to take prior to be operated on right there at the hospital and it'll probably be much better an more effective than your benzo Rx.

Just wanted everyone to know this as it's your life...you've only go one...at least on Earth.:);) And no offense to you, JackieRabbit...I'm sure you were referring to those easy and mild "outpatient surgeries" and not something major like an organ transplant. No hard feelings, OK?:D;)

DennisSmith
01-07-11, 04:21 PM
Oh boy I don't like this anymore. I am getting small memory problems. I forgot the word 'alternator' for my car about 10 times this week, I keep forgetting small things and it bothers me. My smartphone keeps me smart, but I am getting stupid on them. I get some awful working memory problems.

I can relate. I started taking Klonipin last year and recall waking up and watching a movie, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. A few weeks later I saw that it was on television and was flabbergasted because I couldn't remember the plot of the movie at all.

During the summer I worked relentlessly for some company. With so many projects on the go, I had to pause when I was reminded of an assignment that had been completed a few weeks prior. Although I saw the work that I had done and everything, I was weirded out because the memory of it was some kind of blur. It was a very intensive logistical workflow. Since it surely took me a lot of mental effort to accomplish, I was just amazed that it wasn't even clear to me how I did it.

All that being said, I'm off of Klonopin now since December 26th. I went back on it from a 4 month break and it didn't seem to have the same effect. Trying to increase dosages or try something more potent seems like a slippery slope.

In light of this, I've resolved that I won't take Adderall after 11am anymore and will not take it if I haven't slept the night before.

I'm also researching various over the counter sleep aids. While dimenhydrinate is the most common it can also enduce delerium like symptoms and rarely works if I take it two nights in a row.

I've been taking NyQuil as needed. However it has Acetaminophen so I am going to be picking up the version of it that is just antihistamine/sedative and safer on the liver. I'm looking forward to seeing if I wake up with less of a 'bloated' feeling from taking it.

Another drug is called Unisom-2 which contains Doxylamine, although when I went to the store they had none in stock. I read somewhere that Unisom-2 is actually the best otc sleep aid.

All in all, I am being more strict on my Adderall dosages and hoping that I can narrow down the most effective over the counter sleep aid for me.

Aspie101
01-08-11, 05:36 PM
Oh, NO, no, no! PLEASE DON'T TAKE Klonopin (clonazepam) OR ANY OTHER BENZODIAZEPINE BEFORE SURGERY!!! This could interact dangerously with the anesthetic medications they may give you, causing you to possibly DIE!; ONLY do something like this if you've told the doctor(s) and staff that will be operating on you beforehand and NOT on the day of surgery!!! Make sure the operating doctor as well as the anesthesiologist KNOWS ABOUT EVERY SINGLE MEDICATION (EVEN OTC DRUGS) waaay before the day of surgery arrives, that way they can make adjustments to what drugs they may administer to you the day of surgery. Chances are they'll give you something to take prior to be operated on right there at the hospital and it'll probably be much better an more effective than your benzo Rx.

Just wanted everyone to know this as it's your life...you've only go one...at least on Earth.:);) And no offense to you, JackieRabbit...I'm sure you were referring to those easy and mild "outpatient surgeries" and not something major like an organ transplant. No hard feelings, OK?:D;)
Agreed on the surgical part, except I wouldnt even bother with talking to the surgeon its really ALL on the anesthesiologist. Besides if you talk with the anesthetist they will usually give you some type of benzo before hand something like midazolam, lorazepam, valium, whatever and it will usually be in a slightly higher dose than your accustomed so you probably won't care, this way the anesthetist can play evil scientist SAFELY because that's what there trained to do.:D

As for the comment about being around the block with benzo's...yes I have for about the past year and a half...started with Xanax XR, then went to Ambien because my doctor is afraid of the DEA monsters under her bed slept walked like crazy on the stuff and told her for the sake of safety switch me to Ativan...Anxiety does suck extra hard I've had it all my life.:(

tinman8881
01-10-11, 12:10 PM
Klonopin is the brand name for clonazepam (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clonazepam) a benzodiazapine, like Valium or Ativan.

It's typically prescribed as an anti-convulsant and anxiolytic.

I've been taking it for over a decade to treat anxiety, alongside ritalin to treat ADHD.

The klonopin actually increases my ADHD symptoms slightly and decreases the effectiveness of the ritalin, meaning I don't get maximum effect from either med, but have found a balance which lets me function. I've never heard of Klonopin, or any benzodiazapine improving ADHD symptoms before.

i agree with you

davoidone
02-12-11, 04:36 PM
Vyvanse - 70mg/day
Klonopin - .5mg 3X/day
Remeron - at bedtime.

Works well for me and I initially thought how can I take a stimulant and a benzo at the same time. Wouldn't it be a tug of war...Not at all.

den4
03-27-11, 07:25 AM
I was actually prescribed this before any ADD medication. My focus was definately better with Klonopin by itself, than my focus when I had a SSRI mix with Klonopin. I was in zombie land with those two put together.

But I definately can see klonopin helping you focus better because you're more relaxed. Not high relaxed, but calm. The only downside is feeling lazy. At least for me. That part kind of never went away.