View Full Version : New book: Taking Charge of Adult ADHD

Bikie
10-02-10, 07:12 PM
On my first visit to the Dr and after been diagnosed with ADD, the doctor showed me a book titled 'Taking Charge of Adult ADHD' by Russell A. Barkely, PhD.

I consequently went to amazon and bought the book, which I am reading and finding incredibly fascinating and mind opener. A book every Adult ADDer should read, I'd think.:)

PookDo
10-02-10, 07:21 PM
I don't have the book but I have watched him on youtube. Him and Gina Pera ( who's book I do have ) made me realize how serious having ADD?ADHD is and how it effects those close to me. I was really oblivious to it before. Barkley is also the first person I heard say having this isn't a gift no matter what anyone tells you. Here I was thinking I was special and maybe a genius and this guy comes along and shoots that to ****.

Bikie
10-02-10, 08:52 PM
I lot of ADD'ers console themselves thinking that the condition is a gift and almost like it gives them superpowers of some sort.

I personally don't think this is a gift but more like a burden to be honest. This is because I think the best you can be is 'normal'. Not filthy rich, or mega intelligent, or famous. The happiest people I know are just simplistic normal people.

Shlovies
10-02-10, 09:07 PM
I don't have the book but I have watched him on youtube. Him and Gina Pera ( who's book I do have ) made me realize how serious having ADD?ADHD is and how it effects those close to me. I was really oblivious to it before. Barkley is also the first person I heard say having this isn't a gift no matter what anyone tells you. Here I was thinking I was special and maybe a genius and this guy comes along and shoots that to ****.

Wow, please don't allow one individuals or guy with a PHD to sway your view of your life. I know so many people who have sooo much knowledge/money/phd's .... ...

but YOU are the one who rules your life and not them. Anyone who tells you/us to view something negatively ...... I'm not going to say anything more than that. Albert Einstein wasn't a genius?

Creativity does rule the world, as far as I am concerned. This guy has only "his" view and his experiences/theories studies that he interprets. You are more powerful than he is, as far as your life is concerned.

I do apologize to anyone who commented on their love for this book and admiration for the authors, though I felt very strongly about defending anyone's positive view of themselves and their lives. If the book was beneficial to you that is great.

I believe it is OUR VIEW, HOPES, DREAMS, EXPERIENCES of our lives that create our future.

I have made some of my dreams a reality and it wasn't because I believed in those who didn't believe in me. It was because I believed in me and listened to positive things others had to say about me. If someone had something negative to say about my life I simply didn't believe them. I realize it sounds simple but it works! We do have to be honest but we can be positively honest.

(Believe in yourself! ;))

meridian
10-02-10, 09:10 PM
I lot of ADD'ers console themselves thinking that the condition is a gift and almost like it gives them superpowers of some sort.

I personally don't think this is a gift but more like a burden to be honest.

Barkley would agree with you!

There are some great videos on YouTube and a bunch of brief edited clips by one of our own here . . .

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81316

mctavish23
10-02-10, 09:48 PM
It goes without saying that I'm biased here.

The week I spent with Russ turned my practice around and I haven't looked back since.

He's considered to be one of THE very best ADHD experts in the world and he's earned

that distinction with his work.

As for the book, I've read it once and enjoyed the way it's put together for the reader.

It's easy to follow and has the most up to date data available.

I can't emphasize enough how much an evidence based format means to the diagnosis

and treatment of ADHD.

If you only knew how many clinicians DO NOT do that,much less HAVE A CLUE on HOW

TO ( because they HAVEN'T READ THE RESEARCH).

I hope that helps put this into better perspective, just as I hope a great many people

read the book.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

PookDo
10-02-10, 10:23 PM
Wow, please don't allow one individuals or guy with a PHD to sway your view of your life. I know so many people who have sooo much knowledge/money/phd's .... ...

but YOU are the one who rules your life and not them. Anyone who tells you/us to view something negatively ...... I'm not going to say anything more than that. Albert Einstein wasn't a genius?

Creativity does rule the world, as far as I am concerned. This guy has only "his" view and his experiences/theories studies that he interprets. You are more powerful than he is, as far as your life is concerned.

I do apologize to anyone who commented on their love for this book and admiration for the authors, though I felt very strongly about defending anyone's positive view of themselves and their lives. If the book was beneficial to you that is great.

I believe it is OUR VIEW, HOPES, DREAMS, EXPERIENCES of our lives that create our future.

I have made some of my dreams a reality and it wasn't because I believed in those who didn't believe in me. It was because I believed in me and listened to positive things others had to say about me. If someone had something negative to say about my life I simply didn't believe them. I realize it sounds simple but it works! We do have to be honest but we can be positively honest.

(Believe in yourself! ;))

I know it's hard to tell but that last sentence was meant as sarcasm. I can be my own worst critic and that honestly comes from having to work two to three times as hard as so called normal people to achieve anything or get something done. Right now I am determied to figure out how to go back to school and pay for it. At 42 years of age I really want to do something no one else in my family has ever done. Get a college degree. For all the bashing my biological family did to me growing up including being told I was partially retarded and would probably never graduate from high school I feel a deep need to do this.

Tara
10-02-10, 10:47 PM
How is the read-ablity of the book? How does it compare to other Adult ADHD books?

namazu
10-02-10, 10:51 PM
I bought this book recently as well.

Barkley is sometimes criticized for not being as uplifting as other authors, or for focusing on the negative, as some of you have mentioned. And although he's probably done more to shape the way in which ADHD is understood than perhaps any other researcher today, he's not always right.

That said, I think his book does a fantastic job of bridging the gap between basic research and its practical applications. He lays out the ways in which specific cognitive processes appear to be affected by ADHD, and connects the "why" with "what to do about it". His focus on externalizing executive functions is, in my opinion, right on.

While a lot of the self-help books have similar ideas, and his isn't ground-breaking in that sense, I appreciated the clear way in which he connected the science with real-life approaches to mitigating ADHD-related deficits.

Tara
10-02-10, 10:54 PM
FYI - Barkley doesn't say people with ADHD can't be gifted or geniuses. His theory is that if a person is gifted or a genius it's in addition too not because of ADHD.

All this gift / curse debate makes me crazy! ADHD and Life affects everybody differently. Instead of debating if you have super powers just go use them and live happy and productive life!

Tara
10-02-10, 10:55 PM
How does it compare to More Attention, Less Deficit by Ari Tuckman?

mctavish23
10-02-10, 11:06 PM
I haven't read that one but it's written for the consumer.

Very reader friendly.

tc

Robert

ADHDTigger
10-02-10, 11:30 PM
How is the read-ablity of the book? How does it compare to other Adult ADHD books?

Tara, I found it very readable and very comprehendible. I own a couple of Barkley's other books- but they weren't meant for a layman audience. This one was written for the ADHD audience and really well.

Like everything else in my ADHD library, it is filled with highlighter marks.

As you well know, Barkley isn't a "Gifter". He plainly sees ADHD as a serious issue. He DOES recognize that people with ADHD can also be gifted.

I have Ari's book as well. I love it for it's "article" approach and love that I can read and digest something in it's entirety reasonably quickly. Going back to a book mid chapter is the bane of my existence. Dr. Tuckman writes clearly and with brevity (something I strive for) and keeps the "cookies on a low shelf." At the same time, he writes for the ADHD audience and "More Attention, Less Deficit" is certainly reflective of that.

As far as gift/curse goes, I agree- one should live one's best life. From my perspective, it is important to be able and open to seeing roadblocks in order to do that.

Great Expo, BTW. I am really hoping that it can be done again next year.

namazu
10-02-10, 11:45 PM
Keep in mind that I have problems retaining what I read, so take this with a grain of salt...

I liked the tone of Taking Charge better than Tuckman's book. Tuckman's book had a slightly pompous vibe to it -- I'm sure it's just because he was very excited about helping people, but the very explicit "this book is awesome and will change your life" stuff turned me off. There's a little of it in Barkley's book, too -- "just remember these rules!" -- but it was less in-your-face.

String
10-03-10, 12:18 AM
I'm interested in the book. I've also watched a few videos. His ideas have shaped me for the better. I think knowing that ADHD is a burden helps me to understand my real gifts better. And thinking that ADHD is a gift would be like thinking that my myopia is a gift.

Scooter77
10-03-10, 02:03 AM
I admire Barkley, he's obviously a man with a passion.
And he's done a lot for ADHD research.

Life is what it is, ADHD is nothing really worth griping about in comparison to other people's realities.
we're all better off than some and worse off than others, but it's up to the individual to be happy with what they've got and who they are.

Sometimes I am amazed and inspired to see people who truly have reason to complain, but they never utter a negative word.

Shlovies
10-03-10, 08:50 AM
I know it's hard to tell but that last sentence was meant as sarcasm. I can be my own worst critic and that honestly comes from having to work two to three times as hard as so called normal people to achieve anything or get something done. Right now I am determined to figure out how to go back to school and pay for it. At 42 years of age I really want to do something no one else in my family has ever done. Get a college degree. For all the bashing my biological family did to me growing up including being told I was partially retarded and would probably never graduate from high school I feel a deep need to do this.

Wow, that's really cool, being the first one in your family to get a degree. Great goal! Hey, and if determination is a part of the end product you probably have it in the bag. I know determination is one of my strongest suits and I would suspect yours too. It's an add characteristic traditionally, right ? :D

Yes, I hear you on the family issues. I continue to hear the "digs" and feel the put downs every so often, however something has changed on my end. I now realize all the put downs and digs are literally, "all them". Really, that saddens me because I have come to realize how little my family thinks of themselves. It prompts me to love them much more than before and have compassion as well, during the "digs" and hard times with them.

The family issues I had also made me realize that I had to do things for myself and not my father. For I did all that they wished of me and the behavior / acceptance didn't change. I do things I enjoy/deem important in my life now.

Congratulations on going for your degree!

:)

WheresMyMind
09-03-13, 08:35 PM
I have read 30+ books on ADHD since I got diagnosed in 1994. "Taking Charge of Adult ADHD" by Barkley is head and shoulders THE best. Barkley has presented, to date, the ONLY description of ADHD that is concise, and applicable to all who have it..instead of the usual "ADHD's symptoms are differnet in everbody". He has developed a set of "executive functions" that are not so much missing in the ADHD-aflicted person, so much as they develop later. And, while the executive functions are not directly visible external behaviors, they can explain ALL possible visible external behaviors.

And, in his sections on things like time and clutter management, instead of throwing 300 suggestions at you in the hopes that some will work (a horrible thing to do to an ADHD-afflicted person, IMO), he suggests ONLY the ones that he has seen work for the majority of his thousands of clients.

If you're going to own one book on Adult ADHD, this is it.

Before this one, I read Tuckman's "More Attention, Less Deficit". Tuckman raved so much in that book about Barkley that I HAD to get the Barkley book. I'll be giving away the Tuckman book.

Dave

MarkuZ
01-25-14, 03:14 PM
How does it compare to More Attention, Less Deficit by Ari Tuckman?
I reckon both are very good and based on science. Reading both may seem repetitive as they have to describe the same things, but I think the emphasis are different. Barkley is more doctor and Tuckman is more psychologist, which is really obvious, those are their occupations :lol:

I mean, you can get different emphasis that complement each other and act as reinforcers, so I recommend both.

Personally I like Barkley's better because it's shorter and less repetitive, but always recommend both.