View Full Version : finacial part of having ADD

fogleghorn
07-27-04, 07:23 AM
I need some help with research on the financial part of having ADD. I am having trouble getting myself on track with my finances. This is bad for the Mr. Fix-it (male ego). I have tried to leave it up to the wife, thinking that she might do a better job . And I am not blaming her , I just need to fix it before I end up drownding. I can't seem to get organized . I have tried to do a budget,and it looks good on paper but that is as far as it goes. This is causeing great stress on me since I am the bread winner and being the head of the household. Any help would be appreciated

Andi
07-27-04, 08:33 AM
I think the first thing that I could suggest is keeping separate accounts...one for bills and such and the other for the whimsy of life. I know keeping track of two accounts appears overwhelming but when you write out a budget and put x-dollars in an account and pay them accordingly would be beneficial and for those things that aren't necessities get pulled from the other account. I hope this helps.

gabriela
07-27-04, 08:34 AM
I need some help with research on the financial part of having ADD. I am having trouble getting myself on track with my finances. I just need to fix it before I end up drownding. I can't seem to get organized. I have tried to do a budget,and it looks good on paper but that is as far as it goes. This is causing great stress on me. Any help would be appreciated
unfortunately, since i'm almost *exactly* the same, i don't have any help to offer...
:(

i'm completely *useless* when it comes to my personal finances, and so i've asked my best friend to help me straightening them out.

here in sweden there's a law that states that persons who suffer from autism or autism spectrum disorders (like asperger syndrome) are entitled to help from a personal assistant.
since i have asperger syndrome, i've applied for help with my "basic" everyday life (i e personal finances, housecleaning etc) from a personal assistant.
so far i haven't heard anything from the people responsible for the appointing of personal assistents, but i'm hopeful i'll know this fall if my application has been aproved or not...

isn't it kinda "weird"/downright *STUPID* how i (and people like me - i e people suffering from autism/autism spectrum disorders) am supposed to be *"thankful"* if my application for something i'm entitled to *by law* is approved?!

waywardclam
07-27-04, 01:32 PM
Flounderer here too :(

Wheezie
07-27-04, 11:34 PM
i do a variation on what andilavit2 posted.

we have accounts all over the place for the different things that have to be paid. each paycheck gets X dollars allocated into accounts A,B,C,D, & E.

A = house mortgage, B = car payment #1, C = car payment #3, D = Savings acct., E = general checking acct

we directly deposit the X amount into each acct. to pay each bill. the bill is paid "automatically" a few days before the due date. general checking acct. gets the remainder with whatever bills i could set up as auto-pay getting drawn from there.

complicated enough? :confused:

we even have another savings acct. for the savings that we actually *save*... :rolleyes:

it wasn't easy to set up. but, since getting it set up, i haven't been late on a bill! the only thing that doesn't get deducted on a set schedule is my credit card, but, i pay that on-line so that i don't have to worry about it getting there on time ....

i think the reason this works so well is that the money that goes to pay bills never gets spent on something else because we never see it.

negative side is that if anyone ever got ahold of my general checking account number and drained the account, i'd be hosed!

Ian
07-28-04, 02:00 AM
I have a bunch of different accounts. Every time I need to save for something or I find I need to start looking after something that I've been ignoring I open another account or sub account and assign it a percentage of my deposits.

When I deposit any money it's divided up into percentages as much as possible. I don't run the household account but PU does a good job of that. I run the frills and fun accounts and I'm right motivated to get the biggest bang for the buck there!

I also have a small business that I look after the accounting for. Are my taxes done for last year? No! OMG I have to get onto that!
ian

QueensU_girl
03-25-06, 11:29 AM
I have a binder for each year. Each month has one clear plastic pocket with 3-ring holes in it. (These plastic pockets are "page protectors".)

Each month's bank statements, credit card bills, etc, go into it, filed under their correct month.

I find out the due date for each of my bill payments. I write it on my calendar. I then HILITE the Due Dates.

What works for you will depend on your current 'system'. I am highly Visual, so Visual Cues work for me, in terms of my Filing Systems and Reminders and Calendars.

goughy
03-25-06, 04:08 PM
Our finances have always been a mess and now I'm the only breadwinner and running a small business (into the ground).

Tara
03-25-06, 07:17 PM
Here are a couple of Resources

http://www.addvance.com/bookstore/focus.html#moneymanagement

http://www.adultaddandmoney.com/

The ADD Audio Coach Program also has a section on Finances.