View Full Version : Need Advice on What to Ask My HeadshrinkeR

BouCoupDinkyDau
10-07-10, 10:47 AM
On October 18<sup>th</sup> I am going in to see my psychologist for advice on how to start getting a grip on my self-medicating with food.

I am 37, and have had a compulsive eating disorder since I was about ten years old. I lived in a verbally abusive environment as a child, and was removed from the home for two years around 1980 due to extreme physical abuse (I was nine-years-old at the time). My parents have histories of substance abuse with drugs, alcohol, and food. I only have problems with food. Never done any kind of dope, and I enjoy liquor responsibly on occasion (maybe a couple of beers with dinner once a month).

My question is, what kinds of things should I be asking when I go in to see my psychologist? I know this is a little vague given the brief history I just provided, but I need a plan of attack, because right now I don’t know how I am going to approach this session. I don’t want to get all ADD in the room and come up with nothing but a big dumb grin. :)

Any help?

LostInThought12
10-24-10, 04:01 PM
This is probably a little late and youve seen the dr already, but the best thing to do is tell him what is going on, how it makes you feel and ask him what he thinks would be a good starting point to begin working on this.

livinginchaos
10-24-10, 04:45 PM
Tell your therapist everything and ask for an eating disorder evaluation or a referral to get one.
(sorry this is a late reply, I hope you've already reached out for help)