View Full Version : any new good books/newsletters?

Britarchivist
07-27-04, 11:45 AM
I was wondering if there were any new books or neslwtter that have surfaced about add. Out library used to subscribe to additude. I am actually looking for a book about add written by someone with add, not by some person who lives with it and points out all my faults.

Tara
07-27-04, 11:57 AM
There are a lot of books and newsletters out there. I'm not sure what you mean by new though. Maybe you can list some of the most recent books that you have actually read.

Britarchivist
07-27-04, 12:21 PM
I guess I am looking for something put together a bit like these boards, that has a bit of humor, and personal stories where I can go, OMG that is SOO Me...I have read a lot of the more clinical stuff, and it really does not help me to hear how my ADD causes other people stress, or to hear non add peple tell me how to manage my add.

electro
09-10-04, 09:29 AM
I recommend Attention Deficit Disorder in Adults by Lynn Weiss.
Excellent.....................

KBouchard
11-21-04, 01:44 PM
There is a new book out called ADD and Me by Ken Patterson (Jessica Kingsley Publishers). It is one of the few first-person memoirs I have found by an adult with ADD. Happy reading.

d0dg3r
11-26-04, 06:21 PM
You may already know about this, but this book is so new it's not yet published... Hallowell and Ratey have a sequel to "Driven to Distraction" coming out. It's called "Delivered from Distraction" and will be published end of December or beginning of January 2005, I forget the exact date. It's available for pre-order through Amazon.com.

gingagirl
11-27-04, 10:41 AM
Have you seen the Ouch website for people with disabilities? They have a columnist with ADD who writes about her latest ADD moments, with a great dose of humour. I know it's not a book, but definitely a fun read...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/ouch/columnists/anna/

charlie
11-27-04, 11:12 AM
gingagirl,
GREAT site love laughing, what a writer!!!

"Of all the things about having Attention Defecit Disorder (ADD) that conspire to make my life difficult, procrastination is the worst. I can schedule in a training programme, look up gyms, go and see gyms, think about gyms, dream about gyms, but when the time comes to actually be in the gym, I'm not there.

I have constant anxiety around the time I should be at the gym, but as soon as that critical moment passes, I relax and start eagerly planning the next time that I should be at the gym, utterly convinced that next time I really will make it. Basically, for me to plan my own fitness is a very very bad idea.

ADDers procrastinate. Chronically. Unceasingly. Beyond any kind of normal parameters. It's a fact. Beating myself up about it doesn't help, and trying to force it doesn't work. When the enemy is undefeatable, you can't use force, you have to get smart."

Fasthummingbird
11-30-04, 01:10 AM
Shadow Syndromes
John J. Ratey, M.D.
Co-author of Driven to Distraction

I think this is a very good book, it has 8 chapters

1- The Noisy Brain

2- The Biology of being "Difficult":
Masked Depression

3- The Pathology of Elation:
The Hypomanic Personality

4- Adults who Tantrum:
Intermittent Rage Disorder

5- Prisoners of the Present:
Mild Attention Deficit Disorder

6- Autistic Echoes

7- The Hidden Epidemic:
Attention "Surplus" Disorders: Shadow Forms
of OCD, Addiction, and Anxiety

8- Care and Feeding of the Brain

most of us have more than just AD/HD ADD, that we need to learn about.
I have depression, I'm bipolar II , that's where my depression comes in, my high's
from bipolar never got (very) high, I (enjoyed) my mild manic's, I didn't want them to stop,it could be like a rollar coaster, I never knew for sure when it might hit.

In 1996, I went into a deep depression, I got help, I was put on 50mgs of
Zoloft, told to hang in there that it could take up to 3weeks to work.
2 days later I was up and going, my family did'nt know what was going and neither did I, I could'nt stop talking and pacing back and forth. That's when I found out about the hidden bipolar, Zoloft should not begiven to any one
with bipolar, it will throw them into a manic state, as it did me.

Did'nt mean to go on so, Shadow Syndrome is worth reading, or at least
taking a look at.

Hope ya all have a great day

Fasthummingbird

Don't let "Yesterday"
Take up to much
of "TODAY"