View Full Version : The mythical chat room!

Grasshoppaa
10-09-10, 01:16 AM
Since I've been a registered user on here for about two years and have NEVER seen/used the chat room, I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't really exist and is just a myth.

I've filed the concept of a working chat room away in my brain right next to jackalopes and leprechauns. Other users say they've seen, and even used it, and I hear it's a magical place! A virtual world of delightful social interaction between people from all ends of the earth. I've been told that angels sing background music and gumdrops and ADD meds fall from the heavens. The descriptions sounds so realistic that I desperately want to believe them, but time after time I search for this magical place only to come up empty.

Doesn't it sound great? Maybe someday.................

Trooper Keith
10-09-10, 01:19 AM
I used to be in charge of the chatroom many moons ago. I was dismayed to see it had fallen like Atlantis when I returned some years later.

jrigone
11-02-10, 07:19 PM
LMAO from me and my wife that was definately the highlight of our day reading your post

:cool:

RedHairedWitch
11-02-10, 07:51 PM
It was around when I first started posting here. It was wonderful. I wasted so much time there. Then one day it was no more. Promises of it coming back were made but ... one day they had to tell us it was gone. This upset me because I miss it and also because I design freaking websites and forums.

ChickenGirl
11-05-10, 06:27 PM
This post is hilarious!

uhlaneuh
11-30-10, 10:47 PM
well this sucks.

Kingway
01-18-11, 09:53 PM
I've never seen it, and I registered 5 years ago!

anonymouslyadd
01-18-11, 10:59 PM
I've never seen it, and I registered one month ago!? ;)

Daveg
01-28-11, 06:14 PM
I've been "away" from addforums for far longer then I planned on being and was pretty disappointed to see the Chat Room gone...bring it back please!

Turbochica
02-10-11, 10:29 PM
Maybe those who truly beloved it exists can find it. I wonder if clicking the heels of my Ruby slippers will help any. . . *click * *click* oh darn! Nuthin :(

Lol:)

mike1w
02-11-11, 02:44 PM
alas cry for the lost chat room, it has sunk beneath the seas...

wscc
02-11-11, 11:00 PM
Too ADHD for forums, I too long for chat...

Grasshoppaa
02-19-11, 06:24 AM
Hahaha, I completely forgot that I posted this. I'm glad my sense of humor gets some appreciation.

Couldn't someone just set up a chat room on another website and put up a new thread on here with a link to it? That sounds way too simple.

Grasshoppaa
02-19-11, 07:05 AM
Well whatdaya know, a bit of Googling and I found us a chat room. Yahhhhooo, now I just have to figure out how we can use it without getting in trouble!

sighduck
02-19-11, 08:28 AM
we could set up an IRC board...

Grasshoppaa
02-21-11, 09:51 PM
Well, I set up a chat room and posted a new thread with a link to it. Hopefully the moderators don't delete it and we can use it to waste some time on. Check it out.

hypergirl96
02-21-11, 09:59 PM
I've never seen it, and I registered 5 years ago!

I've never seen it, and I registered one month ago!? ;)

ive never seen it and a registered a few weeks ago! :D :D :D

hypergirl96
02-21-11, 10:00 PM
Well, I set up a chat room and posted a new thread with a link to it. Hopefully the moderators don't delete it and we can use it to waste some time on. Check it out.

sorry to burst ur bubble, but they deleted it.

Grasshoppaa
02-21-11, 10:03 PM
sorry to burst ur bubble, but they deleted it.

Yea, I saw :( Oh well, I figured that would probably happen. This is what the mod said about the chat room situation:

As much as we are aware that people want a chat room, we do not want one associated with ADDF that is not ADDF staff run, and as of right now we do not have permission to create one outside of ADDF.

Myself, mods and admin are very aware of this need for a chat room. However, David (site owner) is the only one with keys to fix it.

Please do not make a chat room in ADDF's name and please do not link an outside chat room. Thank you.

livinginchaos
02-21-11, 10:10 PM
I'm really sorry, everyone. Andi and Andrew would fix it in a heartbeat if it was something they were able to do. From what I understand, David has not given permission for a chat room in ADDF's name off site, which is why we cannot endorse it.

hypergirl96
02-21-11, 10:11 PM
i'm really sorry, everyone. Andi and andrew would fix it in a heartbeat if it was something they were able to do. Right now, david has not given permission for a chat room in addf's name off site. From what i understand, that's why we cannot endorse it.

:( :( .

sighduck
02-22-11, 02:20 PM
:( :( .

i agree... :( :(

DaveHawk
02-22-11, 06:02 PM
One of the reasons I loved to come into this forum was for the Chat room. Not much reason to stick around much these days.

MrObvious
03-14-11, 11:58 PM
Can't they just make an IRC server and make a java client or something simple like that?

tired1823
03-26-11, 07:05 PM
Oooh helloo!

tired1823
03-26-11, 07:06 PM
... only one viewing

leveller
01-13-12, 07:51 PM
No chat room?

Saboit
01-14-12, 07:06 AM
Again, addf should not have a chat,.

pechemignonne
01-14-12, 12:58 PM
Well, it's up to the person who owns the site, but I would really like for there to be a chat.

I think that they could make the privilege restricted, the same as it is for the private forums- so that you can be banned from the chat temporarily or permanently if you can't behave there.

As long as there were clear rules and boundaries set, I don't see why it would be a problem.

Frankly, I find it a little of an infantilizing premise that we can't "handle" a chat board, but then I find the "no politics no religion" rule infantilizing as well, so there you go.

Saboit
01-14-12, 01:16 PM
We have chitchat forum for that...pech

MrJohn
04-19-12, 02:16 AM
what if someone started a chat room at buzzen or something and just let people know it was there?

no linjk to....just the info of when where

Vector
04-21-12, 07:08 AM
I would like it too when this forum would have a live chat room. I think live chatting brings the forum members closer together because it can be so funny and cosy. :) Also, it can give you a better picture of your fellow forum members. :)

itsanADHDthing
05-20-12, 01:38 AM
xat

anybody?

Joker_Girl
06-04-12, 04:19 PM
I think it would be great if we could have a chat.

Does it cost money to set up a chat room? Or to host it? I do not know anything about it.

If so, i would be willing to donate a small amount of money, if many others would as well (donate $5-$25 or so) it could turn into a lot of money.

I think it would be wonderful!

Vector
06-05-12, 01:00 PM
Hi Joker Girl,

Perhaps you are right. ADD Forums probably has to buy the software for the chatroom. However, I think they get money out of the advertisements you see on this forum.

FuzzyMarianne
06-05-12, 02:19 PM
Hi Joker Girl,

Perhaps you are right. ADD Forums probably has to buy the software for the chatroom. However, I think they get money out of the advertisements you see on this forum.

Actually it's free to set up a chat server, or to set up a room on an existing chat server. A chat applet can then easily be put on a page somewhere on this site (like, say, they could do it on the chat link), and even have those money-generating ads on the page too.

Vector
06-07-12, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the info, Marianne. :)

And, welcome to the forums! :)

MrJohn
06-19-12, 02:04 AM
Well, since it doesn't appear it will ever happen here, I'm going to start one at Buzzen.
Of course the schedule will be unreliable but mostly 9pm to 11pm Pacific time on Mondays for now.
Catchy name is ADHD and its under peers.

Gingerwoman
06-24-12, 11:34 AM
Looking at how incredibly active this board is a chat would actually work really well. It sucks that there isn't one. There are like over 130 people viewing just one topic on here at the moment which is amazing.:faint:

Gingerwoman
06-24-12, 11:43 AM
I'll never remember to go to a chat room at a certain American time. :(Hope one is implemented here.

MrJohn
06-27-12, 02:14 AM
Well, since it doesn't appear it will ever happen here, I'm going to start one at Buzzen.
Of course the schedule will be unreliable but mostly 9pm to 11pm Pacific time on Mondays for now.
Catchy name is ADHD and its under peers.

I forgot, of course :umm1:

RegulateThis
02-01-13, 01:06 PM
A chat full of impulsive people, isn't that called twitter? :).

-=rT=-

Mr Digital 01
02-01-13, 03:47 PM
Sorry guys... I've been living and sleeping there ever since I joined up a couple of weeks ago...

No one else seemed to be using it, it's warm, quiet and all the walls, floor & ceiling are all padded... snuggly.

Did I do the wrong thing? (again)

Dig

Ninjas
04-16-13, 06:24 AM
Daffa. My mind = blown.

ValliGirl2012
04-19-13, 06:47 PM
Grasshoppa,

:eek: Oh, you must've went in the wrong direction. You're supposed to walk down the hallway, turn left, go into the corridor and when you see the rose bush, take that elevator to E deck.

That's where the party is :p

Blanched Dubois
04-27-13, 06:34 AM
Since I've been a registered user on here for about two years and have NEVER seen/used the chat room, I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't really exist and is just a myth.

I've filed the concept of a working chat room away in my brain right next to jackalopes and leprechauns. Other users say they've seen, and even used it, and I hear it's a magical place! A virtual world of delightful social interaction between people from all ends of the earth. I've been told that angels sing background music and gumdrops and ADD meds fall from the heavens. The descriptions sounds so realistic that I desperately want to believe them, but time after time I search for this magical place only to come up empty.

Doesn't it sound great? Maybe someday.................

heh, i often muse that they say the same thing about us...when they want to see us which isn't often lol

zoomman
06-03-13, 12:06 AM
Also, there's something we need to tell you about Santa Clause ...

SpaceBaby
07-06-13, 09:27 PM
You know, I was browsing around and found out the owner of the forum is DAVID and his profile shows that he hasn't made a post since 2011, but it says his recent activity was like a week ago (I'm guessing that just means he's logged in recently).

Now the mystery behind the broken chatroom is solved... lol jk.. just thought it would be funny to say that :lol:

Canadian Mess
07-06-13, 10:31 PM
Would definitely be a good idea as long as the rules were in place.... having a chatroom full of ADDers would mean the conversations would be irratic, random and posters would be impulsive.... and very quickly go off topic.

Not that it's a bad thing though, that's how most of my conversations go :lol:

Daydreamin22
09-07-13, 08:43 PM
yea..... right......

BatBowey
10-03-13, 02:17 PM
I'd happily provide a place to chat if people are up for it. Have domain + hosting, just have to know if it's going to be used. :)

DesertDave
02-05-14, 03:25 AM
I have a feeling that it wouldn't be used as much as many think. It worked when I first joined. Sometimes there were people in it but not participating in the chat. Once in a while there was some conversation. I chatted with a couple people who just happened to be on at the same time I was and we were both in the mood to talk.

Artiste
02-22-14, 11:23 AM
There is an ADHD chat room over at healthfulchat.org that's open all the time. I go in there sometimes. Obviously it's not at all affiliated with addforums, but it's on-topic and the people are friendly and weird (in a brilliant way). Hope that helps.

TXJK14
11-04-14, 04:00 PM
Being a new user here I would love to see and talk to people who are logged in when I am, but on the flip side, I would spend so much time on the chat feature that I wouldn't post much or I would post more and not use the chat feature at all.

Also, the downside for me of having a chat feature is I spend so much time on it that I forget about my other things Im suppose to be taking care of. Thankfully for me with the way technology is going I love texting (most of the time) and can text/chat with friends from my computer all while working.

TXJK14
11-05-14, 05:09 PM
But really is it any wonder that the chat isn't working? How many times have we said we would fix something but... 2 years later.... 3 years later.... Yup, going to fix it... 4 years later... XD

Trooper Keith
11-19-14, 02:26 PM
The forums are for-profit, there is no incentive to fix anything and it would cost money, when they get plenty of ad revenue from visitors who find this place via Google.

This forum is running software from 2008. Don't expect it to be fixed, ever, without a radical overhaul.

FocusPocus10
12-10-14, 04:47 PM
The forums are for-profit, there is no incentive to fix anything and it would cost money, when they get plenty of ad revenue from visitors who find this place via Google.

This forum is running software from 2008. Don't expect it to be fixed, ever, without a radical overhaul.

I recommend the extension adblock or adblock plus for your browser of choice. I never see ads, ever. Enjoy :D

Skyf@ll
12-20-14, 06:58 PM
I can see the idea of not having a chat room on this forum. The forum is a success just now why change it?

Imagine the bother the mods with have to go through to calm things down between real time impulsive thoughts made by peeps.

At least with a forum people have time to make decisions before they post it. ill reply to a post out of impulsiveness and maybe think different later...that's just me...but I'm sure there is others out there :)

Trooper Keith
01-06-15, 09:23 PM
I recommend the extension adblock or adblock plus for your browser of choice. I never see ads, ever. Enjoy :D

No dude, they use those inline ads and serve them to non-authenticated users. Basically this place dominates Google hits for ADHD/ADD topics, people click those topics, David makes a few cents. He runs a couple such communities. It's not a bad business model but it's also not likely to get the chat, or anything else, fixed.

InvitroCanibal
10-13-15, 11:29 AM
The chat room is right next to the pool and mini bar ofcourse it is guarded by the unspeakable horror...good luck

dormammau2008
04-03-17, 09:55 PM
:)hello invitro hope things are well