View Full Version : Keep your computer safe from W32.MyDoom.M@mm

Andrew
07-27-04, 01:39 PM
Threat level: Category 4 - Severe
Outbreak Type: Worm

How does it affect me?

The W32.Mydoom.M@mm mass-mailing worm:

- Uses its own SMTP engine to send itself to all the email addresses that it finds from an infected system.
- The email has an attachment with a .bat, .cmd, .com, .exe, .pif, .scr, or .zip extension.
- The attachment name may contain a randomly selected domain, which was found on the sender's system.

For example, the attachment name could contain fakedomain.com if the address x@fakedomain.com was harvested.

- The From field of the email is spoofed.
- Downloads and executes a backdoor, which is detected as Backdoor.Zincite.A, on port 1034/tcp.
- Is packed by UPX.

For more technical details on W32.MyDoom.M@mm, please see the Symantec Security Response write-up.

If you're already infected, please download the removal tool from Symantec: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/tools.list.html

SonoranDad
08-11-04, 07:30 PM
For just about any virus out there NAI (McAfee) has a very small and clever virus removal tool. It is updated within 12 hours of any new virus threat and you can download it free... I keep a fresh copy on my keychain for emergencies...

[Got to McAfee's website] Click on Download Stinger.exe and this program will remove the latest virus threats out there.

Potuncle
08-12-04, 04:51 AM
Hmmm...never had that one or any others. Oh yea, it's because I use a Mac. Windows is more needy and higher maintainence that the worst of my past girlfriends.

I don't want to sound like a Macintosh biggot, but I do computer support for a living and meet many people that have spent much time, money, and nerves fighting the viruses, spyware, and adware that comes along with using Windows.

If changing computers is not up your alley, at least stop using Internet Explorer except where absolutely necessary. Also stop using Outlook or Outlook Express. These programs allow software to get installed on your computer without asking or notifying you. All of the e-mail viruses require Outlook or Outlook Express to spread. I suggest getting the free replacements offered at Mozilla.org (http://mozilla.org). There you will find a great Web browser called Firebird, and an e-mail program called Thunderbird.

Jason

sss180b
08-18-06, 09:15 PM
Just the other day I had to format my hard drive, I'm not sure exactly what caused the problem. I lost everything, on the positive side my computer is running a lot faster. But now I need to remember all of my bookmarks and data that were lost. :mad:

Imnapl
08-18-06, 10:13 PM
Hey Potuncle. When I tell kids I have a Mac, they say, "Macs suck." I smile and say, "I've never had a virus" and they shake their heads and grin.

Squirrel
08-19-06, 05:46 AM
Neither have I, in spite of using Windoze for lack of a better alternative. Waiting for processors that will allow switching between operating systems without rebooting so I can switch to Linux and use Win for apps that aren't available...