View Full Version : Are support services at school tied to category of disability?

Coffeelover64
10-13-10, 03:46 PM
My son has ADHD and mild articulation issues and currently has an IEP for speech. He is a very good A-student but does have some issues in the classroom, mostly with non-compliance such as doing homework when the teacher is talking (he wants to stay busy at all times) and overall social skills. The IEP team and my husband and I are deciding what to do next (if anything) but the school claims that if he's labelled OHI, that he can't have speech and social work and if he's got 1) speech issues 2) attention issues and 3) social skills issues that he's going to need a different category such as ASD to 'cover' all these things. I didn't think that the child needed a specific label to get certain services. They also tried to tell me that they tend to reserve OHI for kids with true medical problems such as diabetes, etc. and the ADHD cases usually do fine with an accomodation plan or if they are severe enough they often fall under the ASD umbrella. Needless to say I'm not happy and his psychiatrist (who has spoken to team members) think that this is inappropriate.

APSJ
10-14-10, 12:06 AM
They usually have a 'multiple disabilities' category, but generally, no, educations should be tailored to the student's individual needs. "Individualized" education doesn't mean they have categories to choose from which determine cookie cutter IEPs, but rather education tailored to student's individual needs...I would try and speak to a local special education advocate or attorney and get a sense of local laws and regulations, so you'll be better prepared to assert your rights, and push the issue if necessary.

Imnapl
10-14-10, 12:11 AM
Aren't schools more interested in funding categories? A student may have more than one disorder/disability, but doesn't the school have to choose one for the funding category? That doesn't mean that the student won't receive more than one service.

peripatetic
10-14-10, 03:35 AM
greetings,

i'm unsure what ohi stands for...but when i was a kid i had specific accommodations (there was an actual list) for dyslexia that were somewhat different from those i later received based on adhd. some were the same (separate room for testing, time and a half) and some were different (required percentage of exams given orally, use of a spare blank sheet of paper and use of word processor/laptop). there may well have been other differences and similarities that i can't recall at the moment and i'm not 100% sure what i was 'classed' as, actually.

my experience may be a dated one and there are considerable differences now. however, the accommodations i received were definitely tailored to my specific issues. i truly can't see how NOT doing that would make sense if the goal is to actually give reasonable accommodation and help children in need of additional support. to make a blanket list of what's acceptable and make the either/or restrictions seems no only unhelpful, but also illegal. i mean, isn't that analogous to saying a wheelchair-bound deaf child can only get an access ramp or instruction in sign language, but not both? i see them saying your son can only receive this *or* that support, but not both types (if he has both types of concerns) as failing to actually provide reasonable accommodations for *him*.

i don't really konw how these things can be applied though and i'm speaking omre from what seems logical than what the law actually says. i think apsj's suggestion of finding an attorney or other advocate is the best plan so you are in a better position to call them on any attempts to deny your son legitimate reasonable accommodations.

Coffeelover64
10-14-10, 11:12 AM
Thanks everyone! I think we are going to work with an advocate because I suspect what they are trying to do is illegal.