View Full Version : Odd side-effect not listed

GuinnessSteve
10-14-10, 10:20 AM
I registered to ask this question:

I've been looking around online and even asked my pharmacist, but I haven't found any mention of this particular side-effect.

I don't take focalin every day, only when I'm at school or work. However, when I do, I notice a DRAMATIC increase in my sex drive. It's supposed to help me focus, but sometimes I find myself thinking more about sex than what my instructors are saying in class.

I'm pretty sure it has to be the medication, since I don't get like this otherwise. I also notice that the actual act of sex seems to be enhanced if I've taken it that day.

Anyone experienced/know anything about this? How can I counteract it?

Alex9
10-16-10, 05:14 PM
I find it likely that a stimulant would increase your sex drive. Personally, Ive encountered the opposite effect while on ritalin and focalin, erectile dysfunction. It probably increases peoples' sex drive, but at higher doses its vascoconstrictive effect limits blood flow to my ummmmmmm reproductive organ:)

jadamgo
05-18-11, 01:43 PM
Yes, the rapid dopamine increase in the brain caused by stimulants will frequently increase libido. But the norepinephrine increase causes sexual dysfunction. Focalin is more selective for dopamine (over norepinephrine) than racemic methylphenidate, much like dextroamphetamine is more dopamine selective than racemic amphetamine or even adderall. So it's less likely to cause sexual dysfunction than ritalin.

Such a rapid dopamine release can be habit forming, and it signifies that you're taking a rather high dose all at once. If you notice decreased effectiveness, rapid tolerance development, or unacceptably rapid loss of treatment benefits, you should consider taking small doses frequently with food instead of large doses taken infrequently on an empty stomach.

MedStudent82
05-22-11, 05:54 PM
I switched to Focalin 4 days ago from Adderall. On Adderall I never thought about sex hardly, only the important priorities in my life. It was amazing in this way and effortless/easy to get things done. I only stopped taking it because I didn't think I could handle thinking slower on it (reaching for words all the time), so I just tried Focalin 4 days ago. On Focalin I think clearly (a lot of thoughts all the time still though), just with a wakefullness all the time that keeps me focused on tasks and less stressed about everything else I have to do, but I notice I'm thinking about sex A LOT more (very bad lol), and I already know Focalin is not the right med for me alone.

Today it happened again (started off productive, though all the procrastinating stuff I tend to do), and then I started thinking about sex a lot. I realize I'm not 15 years-old again, and after 4 days of this, I'm extremely ****ed this is happening, so at the next dose time today (4pm) I took half of my leftover Adderall (5mg) and half Focalin (5mg), and the crazy sex preoccupation melted away. Crazy. I'm still blown away the last 3 weeks by how minute deficiencies/increase in molecules and neural circuitry in the brain affects behavior.