View Full Version : Sleep

Lostsoul092
10-15-10, 09:47 PM
I went to see a sleep doctor yesterday and when I told him about my ADD he said he would take exception to that diagnosed because sleep disorders and ADD mimic symptoms and good sleep can often fix these issues. While I am totally sure I have ADD, because my ADD predates my yet to be diagnosed sleep disorder, I wonder if anyone else has sleep disorders and what you did or do to combat them and if you ever had a doctor act so nonchalant about an ADD/ADHD diagnoses? I will say thank you for all there input in advance.

ADHDTigger
10-15-10, 09:56 PM
I think that the sleep doc is clueless about ADHD.

People with ADHD very often have insomnia as well. And that is without medication. I have had issues with sleep since I can remember. I do not have apnea or a "sleep disorder". I have ADHD. When my brain refuses to calm down, I have a cup of tea (caffeinated). Generally, that will put me out.

Benedryl works too but I try to not take it.

spunkysmum
10-15-10, 10:03 PM
That doctor sounds like a (wrongly) opinionated jack*** to me. :(

ThinkingOutLoud
10-15-10, 10:14 PM
I would suggest getting diagnosed first and then go from there. if your dr does not 'care' you may want to seek someone else you can connect with better.

I have had some really bad drs in the past, and I fired them. they work for you. Im getting off on a tangent here...

I have always had insomnia,I take ambien for it.

ADHD ive always had too, I take Adderall now. Before Concerta and Ritlan (it didnt work for me).

my insomnia was technically diagnosed before ADHD, but the dr never made any kind of corrolation between the two.

in fact he started me on Concerta and such before he was willing to give me ambien.

ambien came later when the meds were really making sleep a seldom occurrence.

I dont know if this helps any.

Lostsoul092
10-15-10, 10:38 PM
Well I do not have insomnia as I can fall asleep, rather I wake up feeling like I have not slept in weeks. I go through everyday feeling tired. I am always looking to take a nap.

As for the doctor - for me it has been and is very hard to find a doctor i feel comfortable with. I still haven't found any therapists to go to, my primary doctor is great and easy to talk to.

Being able to come hear and ask questions, get stories and feedback, read threads and blogs, cry, whatever has been so amazing. It really is helping.