View Full Version : Preventative Migraine Meds

Nifferka
10-20-10, 03:44 AM
Since I'm now getting migraines about 10 times a month, our expat doctor recommended I try one of the preventatives available here: мозегор (Mozegor), пизотифен (Pizotifen) or амитриптильин (Amitriptyline). I'm not on any ADD meds, as they're not available here. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the above, and how they affected ADD symptoms.

My mother took Amitriptyline for 5 years for her migraines, and then her hair started falling out, so she stopped. But she's not ADD--my dad is. (Lucky me, I got both :rolleyes:)

penguin
10-20-10, 11:38 PM
Hi,
Wife took propranerol (spelling) for 6 years. It worked for 5 years. Cheap as a generic, and other than fatigue in the evenings, it had no problems.
Good luck...Ken

livinginchaos
10-21-10, 02:10 AM
I don't take any meds to prevent migraines, but I take Imitrex as soon as one comes on. I only take 50mgs, 'cause taking 100mgs makes me dizzy.
Other side effect I've had is general numbness throughout my body.

Another option for me is to take Excedrin Tension Headache or Excedrin Migraine. My doc ok'd me to take 3-4 pills upon onset of a migraine.

I hope you find something, migraines suck!

Nifferka
10-22-10, 12:25 PM
Thanks. Yeah, migraines disrupt my family more than my ADD. I already take locally available Imitrex (generic-100mg), but I had a 36-hour rebound headache last week after taking sumatriptan 4 days in a row. So, the doctor recommended one of those other meds. Those are the only preventatives available here. Has anyone taken them? Lunacie? Marie-johanne? I mostly want to know if they will make my ADD symptoms worse. The amitriptyline is an anti-depressant.

Lunacie
10-22-10, 01:16 PM
I don't have any experience with any of those meds. I was taking Ergotamine years ago, which was amazing at getting rid of the migraine. But I lost my health insurance and when I next checked with a doctor they weren't using Ergotamine to treat migraine anymore. All the migraine meds are so expensive that without health insurance I can't afford any of them.

I did take Propranolol for 2-3 weeks to treat hypertension, not long enough to know if it would have helped with the migraines, just long enough to learn that I was quite allergic to it (or one of the fillers or coating).

Accupuncture - by a licensed doctor of Chinese medicine - works on the really bad ones. Fortunately I only get those a few times a year. If I can catch a migraine quickly enough, I take a couple of Excedrin and lie down for awhile. Unfortuantely, I usually feel like I need to be up and doing things or keeping track of the grandkids, and the migraine creates tension which makes the headache worse. I'm working on taking the pills and taking a break, and that usually helps.

jadamgo
10-25-10, 03:23 PM
Mozegor is a mixture of Pizotifen and some B-vitamins. I don't know whether your results would be significantly different if you chose one of those over the other, but if mozegor does not cost significantly more than Pizotifen, go for mozegor.

Either of those would stand a good chance of making you drowsy and hungry (so expect sleepiness, and if you have the metabolism for it, some weight gain the first month or two that you take it). But they would also probably reduce anxiety. So unless you want to get rid of anxiety, take it at night (if possible) after you've brushed your teeth so you don't eat lots of food.

If you can tolerate amitriptyline's side effects, it stands a good chance of working well. The question: can you tolerate its side effects? It treats everybody uniquely, so you may need to try it and see how well it works.

I don't know the legal status of psychedelics where you live, but if you can get a steady supply of low-dose psychedelic medications, they are often VERY effective at preventing and aborting migraine and cluster headaches. The dose required to prevent or abort headaches is generally much lower than the dose required to cause hallucinations.

Other options include propranolol, valproic acid (or its analogues, sodium valproate, and sodium divalproex), and verapamil.

penguin
10-25-10, 11:45 PM
Hi,
Take a look at Butterburr, MAgnesium, and vitamin b-2.
They have all passed double-blind testing and are reaonably cheap. The down side is that it can take 6-8 weeks to start working as a prophylactic. It took my wife about a month to start having fewer migaines. It has been working ok now for about 4 years.
When she does get one, about 3 a month, aspirin will usually kill it. A 9 pack of imitrex now lasts her about 7-8 months.
I asked doc why it is not pushed more. 2 reasons: people want an instant cure and don't like waiting 2 months to see if it will work. Other was that who is going to make a killing on it?
Good luck ....Ken

schizo1988
01-07-11, 08:16 PM
I don't know the legal status of psychedelics where you live, but if you can get a steady supply of low-dose psychedelic medications, they are often VERY effective at preventing and aborting migraine and cluster headaches. The dose required to prevent or abort headaches is generally much lower than the dose required to cause hallucinations.

Which psychedelic medications are you referring too, I can't think of any Hallucinogens available by prescription, not in Canada anyway, unless you are including Medical Marijuana (not a hallucinogen)