View Full Version : strange effect of insomnia

nothing
10-20-10, 08:11 AM
i hope this is the right forum.

i was diagnosed with adhd a while ago, i am not on meds yet, but recently i found out an unexpected way to alleviate my jitteriness and inability to hold a single thought for a long time. whenever i am unable to sleep, and get out of bed in the morning, i feel a lot different: my mind is more clear, i am not fidgety at all, and i feel happier. why would this be?

Driver
10-20-10, 08:14 AM
i hope this is the right forum.

i was diagnosed with adhd a while ago, i am not on meds yet, but recently i found out an unexpected way to alleviate my jitteriness and inability to hold a single thought for a long time. whenever i am unable to sleep, and get out of bed in the morning, i feel a lot different: my mind is more clear, i am not fidgety at all, and i feel happier. why would this be?

You're bipolar and experiencing mania?

nothing
10-20-10, 08:16 AM
but seriously

Driver
10-20-10, 08:24 AM
I am serious. Going nights without any sleep suggests mania, or hypomania, which is typical of bipolar.

nothing
10-20-10, 08:27 AM
uhh, i did not specify how often it happens.

stampy91
10-22-10, 03:00 PM

It might be more useful to you if you let us know why you're not sleeping - e.g. is it deliberate? (Perhaps you have work you're staying up to complete? Although I'm not sure why you're jittery... did you mean fidgety?)

But anyway, I find that I get interesting wakefulness/alertness effects if I stay up all night, but I've never looked out for any effects on my ADD symptoms. What I know is that if I, for example, stayed up till 4-5am trying to do work / study, then slept 1-2hrs, I'd wake up basically completely incapable of thinking/functioning, and would go to school half dead, whereas if I simply stayed up all night, around my normal wake up time (7-8am), I feel much more awake than I would if I had slept, and much more prepared to function that day.

In any case, my guess would be that both our observations are related to our circadian rhythms (wikipedia it), primarily because we both notice them at a certain, consistent point in time and aren't doing anything else which could cause the effects.

hxt1138
10-22-10, 03:29 PM
I think i read some where that when you don't sleep your body over produces adrenaline and other hormones to try to stay awake. That might be the reason. Remember that most of the ADHD meds are stimulants that to some extent stimulate epinephrine, norepinephrine and other hormones that go along side with adrenaline. They use the adrenal system. As my understanding goes and experience you will burn out doing this as some people feel with meds.

Simply because from not sleeping the adrenal system becomes taxed and you begin to experience what they call adrenal fatigue which means you don't produce enough of these hormones. Therefore you loose focus and are lethargic all day long.

I say from my experience because i sleep at 5-6am on a regular basis for no reason. And i've reached times were i just cannot wake up and my add symptoms become WILD i mean i wont remmeber anything, ill loose my trail of thought with nothing and be unable to absorb ANY information. If you continue this you will only achieve a curve(think graph) much like an addict. Where you see you have a problem you start fixing it (by not sleeping) and then just dive and get much worse, then you will realize its not good. Check out the symptoms of adrenal fatigue they are not good. And by the way i believe stimulants also cause adrenal fatigue which would explain why even theraputic amounts of these stimulants stop working for many.

Correct me if im wrong tho, this is all off the top of my head.

nothing
10-22-10, 08:32 PM
It might be more useful to you if you let us know why you're not sleeping - e.g. is it deliberate? (Perhaps you have work you're staying up to complete? Although I'm not sure why you're jittery... did you mean fidgety?)

But anyway, I find that I get interesting wakefulness/alertness effects if I stay up all night, but I've never looked out for any effects on my ADD symptoms. What I know is that if I, for example, stayed up till 4-5am trying to do work / study, then slept 1-2hrs, I'd wake up basically completely incapable of thinking/functioning, and would go to school half dead, whereas if I simply stayed up all night, around my normal wake up time (7-8am), I feel much more awake than I would if I had slept, and much more prepared to function that day.

In any case, my guess would be that both our observations are related to our circadian rhythms (wikipedia it), primarily because we both notice them at a certain, consistent point in time and aren't doing anything else which could cause the effects.it's usually intentional

sir_taps_alot
10-22-10, 08:46 PM
I can't quite recall what condition it was that was noted to improve ,mildly with skipping a few nights of sleep? Maybe it was depression?