View Full Version : Hoarders

mad83
10-21-10, 06:31 AM
I don't know if this should go here or not.

The show Hoarders is frickin' therapy for me. When I watch the show on my husband's laptop, I feel great. I want to clean the apartment, I want to get work done. I think it's because I feel like I have that whole team helping me out and cheering me on. I usually work on the kitchen while I watch it because that's the dirtiest room in the house. In less than an hour the kitchen is clean, the dishes are all where they need to be, and the cabinets are organized. It's kinda fun when they show the "clean" houses on Hoarders to stand back and look at YOUR "house".

Does anyone else have a TV show that helps them organize?

hmstrwheel
11-25-10, 04:03 PM
My most motivating show is actually the same as yours. I have hoarding tendencies and have lived in rather deplorable conditions in the past due to this issue. (I have photos I'm not proud of!)

As part of my ADD treatment I see a coach and an psychiatrist and I work with my hoarding along with my ADD organizational issues. (The hoarding is due to some emotional issues from childhood combined with my tendency to not be able to make a decision to save my life.) :rolleyes:

I've found that watching the Hoarders show often makes me want to clean and organize to make sure that my environment never gets that bad again!

However, Clean Sweep was always a good choice for a motivational show also. I've often fantasized about being able to take everything in my home and put in on tarps in the yard...only bringing back inside those things that have a place.

The biggest problem I see with that approach is that of course I'd lose interest part way through and the stuff would remain in piles in my yard until it was all ruined or stolen. :o

mad83
03-07-11, 06:55 AM
I know dozens of hoarders, and I used to be one until I was about 14, then POOF! In one weekend I had donated most of my toys, packed away what I wanted to keep for my kids, and my room was clean.

My parents couldn't believe it (my room was always a complete mess) and asked me why I did it. As a 14 year old, I said "I dunno."