View Full Version : Handwriting

avareyne
10-26-10, 01:38 PM
Did anyone else notice a change in handwriting upon starting this medication? I compared something I wrote a few hours before my first dose (and while on Adderall), then noticed my writing got tiny and messy looking. Even worse the next day. It is quite interesting.

Nothing else medication wise has changed.

So far my experience is great.

jadamgo
10-27-10, 12:28 AM
Usually handwriting improves. At least with methylphenidate. Perhaps amphetamine isn't treating you kindly? This could also happen when combining adderall with another stimulant such as caffeine.

avareyne
10-27-10, 02:11 AM
Oh no, Desoxyn has been a god send already! No more agitation and anxiousness. I am elated. I just miss the energy Adderall provided, 400mg of Provigil on top and I can still be tired. My moods are incredibly stable and I am far more in control than ever. I quit taking Lamictal a bit before starting Desoxyn and now I really really do question my bipolar dx.

My handwriting is just super tiny all of a sudden. It is legible, but my fiance is freaked out by it. ;) I didn't know if this was common, I guess not. Per usual I am the odd one out. lol.

jadamgo
10-28-10, 01:56 AM
Aren't we all used to that, though? For as many of us as there are in the world, you'd think we'd be the odd ones out less often!

Anyway... you're on desoxyn, and apparently you have no anti-manic agent. How the hell do you have bipolar when you feel more stable than ever... on freaking methamphetamine?! That is NOT how the average bipolar person responds to methamphetamine. Have you ever had a full-blown manic phase? Because if your diagnosis is BP II and the worst they've ever seen in you was hypomania, the diagnosis looks suspicious in light of this medication response. And the fact that ADHD + a depressive disorder can masquerade easily as BP II.

quirkyscrawler
10-28-10, 02:31 AM
My handwriting improves on occasion, but for the most part it is still usually messy. I think it's because I'm so used to writing a certain way. But when I have more patience to do things (and this depends on whether I'm on the right dose, and what mood I'm in), then it's reflected in my handwriting, sorta. I write a lot though, so it's easy for me to revert back to my old style. And sometimes when I really get into something I tend to write a bit more frenzied. This is where the clear-headedness from the med helps, but I wonder if there might be other components involved in the brain/fine motor skills in the muscles that have to do with handwriting, and it might require re-training over time to really maintain a legible penmanship...I'm not entirely certain how this works.

avareyne
11-02-10, 09:54 PM
My current diagnosis of bipolar 1 (mixed, told today) is because of my reaction to the drug Paxil. I reacted to Paxil like most would react to methamphetamine, I was out till 6 am drunk off my *** doing whatever I wanted, acting insane, and almost ruined my life. Blew all my cash, partied hard, and did whatever without one single thought of consequence. I still feel my brain is odd. I do not react to meds the way most people do. Oxycontin gives me no pain relief and causes mood swings (along with all in that class). I dropped Lamictal cold turkey and never would have known. Antipsychotics just put me to sleep and offer nothing in return. I have been on literally every bipolar med and removed as they do nothing but make me sleep or eat a lot.

I am currently on nothing but Desoxyn and Provigil and doing quite well. My moods are the most stable they have been in.... since I started dealing with mental health issues as a child. I have Klonopin 1mg for sleep. And Xanax 1mg as needed (never take). I want the bipolar dx removed. I plan to type a post of my experience so far on this med but I am very glad my doctor trusts my research.

Benzo's do effect me as they should... about it.

research4now
12-04-10, 12:48 AM
Aren't we all used to that, though? For as many of us as there are in the world, you'd think we'd be the odd ones out less often!

Anyway... you're on desoxyn, and apparently you have no anti-manic agent. How the hell do you have bipolar when you feel more stable than ever... on freaking methamphetamine?! That is NOT how the average bipolar person responds to methamphetamine. Have you ever had a full-blown manic phase? Because if your diagnosis is BP II and the worst they've ever seen in you was hypomania, the diagnosis looks suspicious in light of this medication response. And the fact that ADHD + a depressive disorder can masquerade easily as BP II.

BiPolar seems 2 me 2 be the MOST over-dx'd "issue" ever

EshkaronsEngine
12-04-10, 01:03 AM
My current diagnosis of bipolar 1 (mixed, told today) is because of my reaction to the drug Paxil. I reacted to Paxil like most would react to methamphetamine, I was out till 6 am drunk off my *** doing whatever I wanted, acting insane, and almost ruined my life. Blew all my cash, partied hard, and did whatever without one single thought of consequence. I still feel my brain is odd. I do not react to meds the way most people do. Oxycontin gives me no pain relief and causes mood swings (along with all in that class). I dropped Lamictal cold turkey and never would have known. Antipsychotics just put me to sleep and offer nothing in return. I have been on literally every bipolar med and removed as they do nothing but make me sleep or eat a lot.

I am currently on nothing but Desoxyn and Provigil and doing quite well. My moods are the most stable they have been in.... since I started dealing with mental health issues as a child. I have Klonopin 1mg for sleep. And Xanax 1mg as needed (never take). I want the bipolar dx removed. I plan to type a post of my experience so far on this med but I am very glad my doctor trusts my research.

Benzo's do effect me as they should... about it.
Just be careful I have Bipolar 1 though I haven't taken Desoxyn I have taken Adderall and it calms me right down. I am just saying that perhaps those of us that go manic would react to Desoxyn as an ADHDer would react to Ritalin - meaning the unexpected outcome compared to people without ADHD, they calm down when others on it speed up. In light of this it makes sense to me that a person with Bipolar who gets naturally manic would not become manic on a drug that makes normal people go manic.

avareyne
12-05-10, 02:13 AM
I don't fit the full criteria for bipolar dx. Due to a legal matter, I am in the process of having the dx officially removed (I was dx'ed at age 12 for that matter). Prozac made me cry, crying spells often, so I don't get manic from all SSRI's, no reaction to SNRI's (Cymbalta, well it made me vomit) and old school AD's... nothing. Personally, I have a personality disorder of sorts on top of the ADHD. My issue is my love of argument and my big mouth, not bipolar.

Adderall made me constantly angry. One tiny thing would set me off and the whole day would be ruined. I'm glad to be off of that.

I'm now just on Desoxyn and Valium (still have Klonopin/Xanax scripts though) and they work just fine. Why Valium knocks me out I have no clue... :confused: Atypical reaction as usual.

avareyne
12-05-10, 02:17 AM
And yes, bipolar is way too over-diagnosed in adults, like ADHD in children.

I should add, people who have lived with bipolar people say I am not bipolar after living with me or knowing me. ADHD, most agree, it's a definite diagnosis.