View Full Version : Re-asking to try Dexedrine

aneese
10-28-10, 12:39 AM
I'm 36 and was prescribed Adderall IR 10mg twice a day, for two weeks and went to my appointment with my primary last Friday.
He asked how the Adderall was doing for me and I told him that it wasn't doing -anything- but giving me a "crappy" feeling that I didn't know how to describe, mentioned the calm I feel, less anxious feeling but that it made me sleepier even more than usual during the day.
I told him that I believed it was the levo in the Adderall that was making me feel like that and that I had asked about it in the ADD forums and someone suggested trying a different medicine. He asked me which medicine was suggested and I told him Dexedrine, which I'm not really sure he was wanting to try, and I'm also not really sure why.

Doing some reading up on it, it's still widely used, even in children, and it's more tolerable than Adderall because of the absence of the levo that causes the PNS stimulation.

Anyway, he didn't say anything at all about the Dexedrine, but brought up trying Vyvanse instead.
I was more than willing to try the Vyvanse because it too doesn't have the levo, but I've heard it costs even more than the Adderall and has no prescription assistance.
I told him about it and mentioned how the Dexedrine -does- have prescription assistance.
That's when he said he likes Concerta. So I said okay. He's my doctor and I respect that, but I still feel very strongly that I'd do better on the Dexedrine.

He told me to increase my dosage, with the Adderall I have left, to 20mg am/ 20mg pm.
Since the increase, I actually started noticing slight, positive differences with my symptoms, and now I'm more hesitant on trying the Concerta.
I feel like we're on the right track since the increase.

When I get the paperwork for prescription assistance turned in, the lady told me it'd be about 4-6 weeks before receiving the Concerta.
My appointment is in 4 weeks. I won't be able to try it anyway before seeing him again.
And I have 2 or 3 days left of the Adderall, which has now been helping some.
I'm not sure why we can't just try either Dexedrine or even Dextrostat for 2 weeks or so.
He'd be having me come in to see how I'm doing on it anyway, which I absolutely have no problem with, so I haven't a clue why.

Since the Adderall has actually started helping some with the symptoms, honestly, if he's still reluctant to just try Dexedrine for even two weeks, I'd rather just stay on the Adderall.

I spoke with my mother about it all and she suggested I talk to him again.
So I made an appointment for this Friday.
I was going to make some notes in case I forgot anything I needed to tell him this Friday, but it's turned into a full fledged letter.
I'm not sure if it's okay to give your primary a letter that explains everything or if it's best to actually tell him verbally.
I just express things better in writing, it's more organized, and it'd be quicker considering you only have so much time to discuss things.

So my questions:
Would it be unheard of to give your doctor something to read that you wrote?
Would it be okay to re-ask to try Dexedrine?

I'd just like some direction on what would be the best way to go about this.

Thanks all.

aneese
10-30-10, 09:37 PM
Well, letters are acceptable to show your doc, but I never showed him mine.

Things said during both confirms to me that he'd be/is unwilling to prescribe anything but "newer" meds, and said we'd try the newer, such as Vyvanse if the Adderall stops working and/or I can afford it.

With the increase in Adderall, my BP went up again, this time to 140/90 or 92, which, even so, he's still comfortable with prescribing the Adderall, so I just ended up sticking with it for now.

twinch42085
11-19-10, 09:00 PM
Well, letters are acceptable to show your doc, but I never showed him mine.

Things said during both confirms to me that he'd be/is unwilling to prescribe anything but "newer" meds, and said we'd try the newer, such as Vyvanse if the Adderall stops working and/or I can afford it.

With the increase in Adderall, my BP went up again, this time to 140/90 or 92, which, even so, he's still comfortable with prescribing the Adderall, so I just ended up sticking with it for now.
I am on 15mg of Dexedrine as an afternoon booster. I take 20mg of Adderall XR in the morning (8am) then around 1pm I take a 5mg Dexedrine and then another 5mg around 3pm and then my last 5mg around 6pm.

I hate Adderall but it seems to be the only extended release medicine that my doctor likes. I have tried Vyvanse and it is crap. I was only at 50mg which is the equivalent of 20mg Adderall XR. After several trial and errors I asked my doctor for Dexedrine and he told me that we could give it a try.

It is a great medicine and NO it does not cause the drastic PNS stimulation like adderall does.

IMO the only reason that your doctor suggested Vyvanse is because it is a new medicine and they're perks to getting patients on new medicines. Plus, doctors like the extended release "STIMULANT" medicines because it allows them to prescribe lesser amounts which prevents the addiction to stimulants.

Adderall is more physically stimulating. It actually causes me to focus less on my work.
Dexedrine is more mentally stimulating. All I want to do is LEARN LEARN LEARN.

Good Luck!

Proxyspam
11-20-10, 07:10 PM
I took both Adderal and Dexedrine. There is a huge difference between Adderal and dexedrine. Dexedrine is pure d-amphetamine while Adderal is a cocktail of many compounds. It has dextro and levo but those 2 are separated into salts of sulfate and succinate so you see the point. If you hate adderal you'll love dex and vice versa.

The reason why your doctor doesn't want to give you dexedrine it's because of the high addiction potential. It's like oxycodone, you think 2ce before giving oxycodone to a patient in pain...like, he really has to scream hard to earn it lol...

CNC_fanatic
11-24-10, 11:26 AM
Try explaining the money situ to him. It seems (i'm not 100% positive on this) that BARR is really the only dex manufacturer out there, unless you want to pay like $400/month for GSK spansules.

-I pay $10/month w/ the walgreens prescription card for qty. 150 5mg dex IR tabs = 25mg/day.
-It costs $20 one-time fee for the card.
-generic Adderall is more expensive.
-docs are a little more hesitant to write for it
-less harsh Adderall
-seems less abusable to me?