View Full Version : But I don't have time!!!

Amtram
10-28-10, 12:34 PM
I was talking to friends a while ago about how I would avoid doing things because I had no idea how long they would take, and I was certain I'd get interrupted or distracted before I'd been able to finish. Even with my new to-do system, which is working pretty well overall and getting tweaked as I go, a lot of things weren't getting done because I was certain I didn't have enough time or energy.

Well, today I was finally disgusted enough at the state of the kitchen floor that I decided to break out the vacuum and mop, when it occurred to me to take a timer and pencil and paper with me to see how long it took me to do some of this stuff.

What an eye-opener!

Vacuuming the bedroom and master bath, including moving things out of the way and back and running the vacuum over the walls, heating vents, and lampshades, plus getting the crevice tool into edges and corners, took only about 20 minutes.

I was on a roll, and the kitchen floor needed doing, so I vacuumed the kitchen and hallway, including moving things, vacuuming the walls and vents, and the felt sliders on the chairs, and moving the rug in the hall after vacuuming that and doing the floor underneath where the rug was. . .also a little more than 20 minutes. Holy cow!

I got to mopping, and cleaning the kitchen, hall, and bathroom floors and wiping down the kickplates and under the cabinet overhangs was also a little more than 20 minutes.

This is really an eye-opener for me. I went to my to-do list and wrote down how long it took to do each of these so that next time I'm not so intimidated that I put them off again!

RedHairedWitch
10-28-10, 01:54 PM
Most things take waaaaaaaay less time than are ADHD brains think.

angora
10-28-10, 02:08 PM
We started a game we call "speed dishwasher" in our house. We set the timer and race to unload and load the dishwasher. It only takes between 1 and 3 minutes depending on how many dishes there are.

βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ
10-28-10, 02:10 PM
I've noticed similar improvements with always timing activities.

If I put the time constraint of 30 minutes on a task and tell myself after that I MUST move on and can't return to it until a later date, oh my god am I motivated.