View Full Version : Productive day

Nifferka
10-30-10, 12:13 AM
I will not waste today. We have all been sick, off and on, for a bit over a month, and I've fallen behind on too many things. I need to:

-Do at least 3 loads of laundry
-Change the kid's sheets (again)
-Swap summer and winter clothes
-Re-write the names in my grade-book in alphabetical order
-Enter the grades from last month
-Get ready for end-of-month tests (to be done on Monday, since I was off sick too often to give tests yesterday).
-Make some gluten-free snacks to have on hand for my pregnant friend with celiac's--she wants something bland and not sweet
-Transplant the herbs so they can be on the window ledge in our room for the winter
-Sort through the mess that is my spice drawer, and throw out everything that smells like cloves (except for the cloves, of course)
-Write a newsletter
-Get DS caught up with his homeschool stuff (we're supposed to do homeschool once a week, so he stays on track with US and UK requirements)
-Do something useful with the pretty basket that's full of nursing pads (DD is over 3, not been breast-feeding for years...:rolleyes:)
-A bunch of other stuff that I can't think of right now, 'cause the kids are rolling toy plates and cups across the living room floor and making a noise that's driving me batty...

Let's see what gets done!

Nifferka
10-30-10, 12:52 AM
-made the bed
-wandered around looking for a scrunchie--I have a million of them, but I don't know where they are
-put breakfast dishes in the sink
-set the washing machine to spin out the load I'd started last night
-told off DS for taking all the spare clothespins off the drying rack, made him put them back on
-plonked the kids in front of a Backyardigans DVD
-took down all the summery Winnie-the-pooh pictures from the kids' room
-found a scrunchie!
-took dry clothes from last night off of drying rack
-changed washcloths and towels in the bathroom, and found another scrunchie!
-put cold medicines back in the medicine box
-discovered I broke a nail, started looking for emery board
-found another scrunchie!

Hearty Soul
10-30-10, 12:53 AM
I was very happy the way I ran errands today! Now I am resting, but my plans for tomorrow are:

- Start with an early walk in the morning,
- then prepare new Frittatta recipe for brunch
- Three wash loads
- Mail gifts I bought for a relative's new-borns which I bought 2 weeks ago!
- clear up some of the mail on the desk
- read a couple of chapters in a new book
- go for a yoga class
- go out to dinner

:)

Nifferka
10-30-10, 01:22 AM
DH came home and announced that the landlords are coming over to collect the next 6 months' rent. So, for the last half hour I:
-got dressed and pulled my hair back properly
-got the kids dressed
-moved the drying rack to our room
-closed the lid on the washing machine--wet clothes still inside!
-chucked all our sandals and summer shoes into a bag and stuck it on the balcony
-put all the boots and sneakers into the shoe rack next to the front door
-tidied up the entry-way
-straightened out the blanket on the back of the sofa

DH informs me at this point that the landlords have to come into the kitchen, so they don't see the re-decorating our kids did on the walls a couple of weeks ago, so he's been washing up the dishes, sweeping the floor, and boiling the kettle for tea.

-put tablecloth in the laundry bin
-chuck more spices randomly into the spice drawer
-throw out old fruit
-cut up brownies to put on plate
-get flowers from other room and put them on the table
-generally make the kitchen look tidy and nice
-close the door to the guest room, where there are still balloons and stuff from a birthday party that was there on Wednesday.

Nifferka
10-30-10, 01:48 AM
Good plan, Evita!

-went to tidy the kids' room and found that DH had already done it
-welcomed the landlord, made tea, left the room while the men talked, turned the landlord's shoes around to point towards the front door
-hung the clothes up on the rack
-went back to the kitchen to see if they need more tea, got the kids to say nice good-byes to the landlord, put the tea piolas in the sink after DH walked the landlord out (they're in the garden now--I don't know if he's raising the rent or not)

Nifferka
10-30-10, 02:04 AM
They weren't in the garden--it was our Brazillian neighbours. They want to make shashlik, and DH was showing them where they could do it. Then they came upstairs, had tea and brownies, and just left.

I'm not getting as much done as I'd hoped. :(

Nifferka
10-30-10, 02:35 AM
11:35
-started another load
-moved the drying rack back to the living room
-found the emery board, filed the broken nail, had a brownie--what am I supposed to be doing?
-pulled some summer clothes off the hooks on the back of the door, crammed them into the washing machine
-got all the summer clothes out of the wardrobe, and am now staring at a chaotic mess of socks and underwear that's meant to fit neatly into a box at the base of the wardrobe...
11:50
Yay! Socks and underwear are all sorted and tidy! That didn't actually take too long...Now for those summer clothes that are all folded up on the bed and need to swap places with the winter clothes in the drawer under the bed...

Nifferka
10-30-10, 03:27 AM
-waited for the washing machine to finish spinning so I could add fabric softener before the last rinse
-I wanted to move the nightstand so I could get to the drawer under the bed. A fan was in the way. I went to the kitchen and got a big bag to cover the fan with, then moved DD's bed away from her balcony door so I could open the door and put the fan out there for the winter. I moved her bed back and noticed she'd used her old potty to wee. Emptied out the potty. Forgot what I was doing. Went to the kitchen (where DH is feeding the kids), poked around looking for food, came back to the bedroom and saw the computer, and remembered what I was doing!
-moved stuff to get to the drawer, and noticed a box under the bed (it was empty) and two more scrunchies!
-dumped the winter clothes on the bed, put away the summer clothes
-trying to sort the winter clothes into outfits, and finding it hard because a lot of my stuff got lost by the airline when we went to the US last January..
-washing machine is done--I need to take out the clothes, start another load, and hang this stuff up to dry
12:40
-started a new load; DH is doing homeschool stuff with DS
::sigh:: What would I do without my husband? I'm such a terrible housewife, and he almost never complains about picking up so much slack...

Nifferka
10-30-10, 04:13 AM
1:15
-took dry clothes off the line on the balcony, hung up wet clothes, folded dry stuff, put the stuff to be ironed in the ironing box and put the other stuff away
I want coffee, but I can't have that until I get these winter clothes off my bed! Wonderful DH has already put DD down for her nap, settled DS down for his "nap" on the sofa, and then started taking apart our long-broken microwave to see if he can fix it (no one in this country seems to know what to do with it).
1:25
I can't do it. The pile of clothes is to much. I want to just shove it all in the closet and not think about it. But then it will all need ironing before I can wear it, and it will take me a hour every morning to find something to wear...I want to quit my job, so I don't have to get dressed every day.
1:40
-fabric softener
-remembered I'd shoved some other winter clothes up on a top shelf, with the box of long johns
-pulled down those things, and found my jeans--I love jeans--and sat there, wishing I could wear jeans outside, instead of long skirts and dresses...
Now the mess of clothes is all over the bed and the floor, and I want to give up. DH wants to be able to get back into our room again, so I need to do something with it.

Nifferka
10-30-10, 05:17 AM
1:50
-put together two outfits, put several other things back in the drawer under the bed because I won't wear them
-heard some kids in the garden, went and asked DH to go pick the peppers when he's finished with the microwave, because it's getting too cold at night, and the peppers will ripen inside without the risk of freezing
-lay down on the pile of clothes for a few minutes, telling myself that I would mentally put together outfits
-realized I was lying to myself and got up again
2:10
-found two more outfits
-heard more kids in the garden--what are they doing there? The persimmons aren't ripe yet, and they'll get sick if they eat them before they're ripe.
2:20
-DONE!!! Clothes are put away, and the funiture is back! I heard the washing machine finish a while ago, though. I should go see about that....

Edit: My clock appears to be a little fast...

2:40
-hung stuff up to dry--I forgot I shouldn't wash whites when it's been raining, 'cause the water goes a bit muddy, and there are some spots on DH's t-shirts where the dirty water was first landing as the washing machine filled up.
-Put pj's back on, so I could put the clothes I was wearing in with the last load (I only got dressed because the landlord was coming over, so I'd just put on what I was wearing yesterday). Started that last load of laundry, and now I'm going to have my coffee and a bite to eat and rest for a bit.

Nifferka
10-30-10, 07:04 AM
3:56
-I've had my coffee, the last piece of cake left over from Wednesday, and some quiet time.
-Poked around the forums a bit, then looked up some stuff on BBC news
-Tried to think of something to fit in with TEDIO--Tory Englishman David Idolizes Obama? Nah, too political, and probably not true--I have no idea how Mr. Cameron feels about him.
-The washing machine sounds like it's spinning out now, and I forgot to add fabric softener. I could re-start it, but I don't feel like it. Looking up at my list, I see that I need to do grade-book stuff...That's a hundred names I need to write in, neatly, and then enter their grades from the spreadsheet on the computer.

4:05
-washing machine's done

4:14
-DD is awake, so I got her out of her room and we whispered for a couple of minutes so we wouldn't wake up DS, and then I gave her to DH, who is trying to do something on his work laptop. I still need to get those clothes out of the washing machine...

Nifferka
10-30-10, 08:04 AM
4:40
-went to the kitchen instead, to put the dishes from cake and coffee in the sink
-noticed it smelled a bit like cottage cheese--I wonder why?
-lit the gas burner and put a liter of milk on to warm up (thinking: whey is a good liquid for bread, and I could make something for my preggers friend with the curds)
-wandered aimlessly in the kitchen for a while, thinking about random stuff
-remembered and took the clothes out of the washer
-started to hang the clothes up, and made some room on the drying rack
-took a cloth I use for straining yoghurt off the rack, and remembered the milk on the stove
-checked the milk on the stove--it was the right temperature, so I turned off the gas and added some vinegar and stirred it to separate
-rinsed out the cloth in hot water ('cause I'd forgotten and left it in the washer when I added fabric softener) and put it on the kitchen radiator to dry
-went back to hanging up clothes
-needed to get a hanger for one item, came back to the bedroom where DD is pestering DH very sweetly, and wrote this post. DS should be getting up soon.

4:45
-DS is awake, and mad at the world
4:50
-put that cloth in a strainer, set the strainer in a big bowl, and poured in my separated milk
-took the strainer off the bowl and moved it over the original pot to let the curds finish draining
-took the bowl with the whey and added a couple spoons of sugar and a handful of salt, then sprinkled yeast over the whole thing, and let it sit while I typed this
5:05
-stirred in flour, remembered to add oil, kneaded in flour, covered and left it to rise
-squeezed curds in cloth, then rinsed them under the filter water tap, massaging them in the cloth to get rid of the vinegar taste
-opened the forums in another tab to check and see if I'm still logged in so I don't lose this if I try to post it

5:25
-re-wrapped DD's hand where she'd burned it yesterday (she'd reached up to grab some popcorn that I was pouring out of a pot and touched the bottom of the pot with the back of her fingers)
-discussed dinner jobs for kids with DH--DS will grate cheese, and DD will stir the pizza sauce in a bowl, while DH gives her the spices to add in, and I roll out part of the dough for pizza (the rest of the dough will get dumped in a loaf pan to bake)

Nifferka
10-30-10, 09:22 AM
5:50
-pizza's in the oven
-kids are playing with birthday balloons in their room, DH is washing dishes
6:20
I'm glad I'm doing this, because I completely forgot what time I put the pizza in. It'll be done soon. DD had made a lot of sauce, and we had some ground beef left over from making hamburgers yesterday, so I've spent the last half hour making what ought to resemble meatballs. I probably should have looked at a recipe, but I was just using up leftovers anyway. Now I'd rather eat meatballs than pizza. I wonder if they'll keep 'til tomorrow...See, if I was sensible, I would have just put the extra sauce away and made a note to make meatballs tomorrow, and then look up a recipe to do it properly, since I've never made meatballs before.
Pizza's done. We have to go eat.

Nifferka
10-30-10, 10:48 AM
6:55
-I should have cut up veggies and made some dip instead of making meatballs, so we would have had some vegetables with the meal. But it was a pleasant dinner, and DS didn't complain or act goofy and loud.
-I put the loaf of bread in the oven when we sat down to eat, it should be done soon.

I've hardly done anything from my list. :(

7:05
-bread isn't ready yet--it needs a few more minutes, but my stomach is cramping up because of eating cheese, and I'm freezing cold, so I've come back to bed to get under the covers.
-I was just telling DS to get his pj's on and realized that he actually took a nap today, so won't be going to bed until after 9. Bad Mommy. I should have gotten him up after he'd dozed for an hour, but I wanted the peace and quiet then and didn't think about now. I never do.
-TEDIO--Tough Eggs Don't Improve Omlettes?
-DS just got told off for fiddling with one of the finger puppets from my school bag, then for closing a drawer, then by DH for taking balloons into the kitchen. Then he came back here again, playing with his sippy cup (which he has in his room at night). I asked him, "Are you getting scolded a lot now?" ("Mmm-hm") "Do you want that to happen?" ("No.") "Do you know how stop from being scolded?" ("Yes. O-bey.") "What have you been asked to do?"
Then, as DS is still playing with his sippy cup, he says, "Put my pyjamas on--no, wait! First I have to wash my hands and go get some fruit!" DH calls from the kitchen that DS has already had his fruit. So DS comes over to me and starts staring at the number lock light on the keyboard, saying, "Mama, you know, Mama, there was--I have to tell you something, Mama. There was something else. But now I can't remember....it's gone. Why can't I remember?"
We think he might have inherited something from me...

7:15
-DH just called from the kitchen, saying "Did you want this bread out of the oven?" Oops. Now he's saying, "Did you want it to be black?"
-he came back here and told me it's just dark brown on top, because when I put it in for a couple more minutes, I'd switched the top burner on. Oops again. What would I do without him?

7:30
-just reminded DS again to put his pj's on--I've declared a race between the kids to see who will get them on first.
-what was I supposed to be doing today?
7:32-DS has his pj's on. :)
7:36-DD has her pj's on
7:50-cut both kids' nails, and DH has finished his download so I can post again

7:55-No! I started poking around the forums again! I've got stuff to do!

Nifferka
10-30-10, 02:27 PM
9:20
After that last post, I got up and made myself a hot lemon and honey drink to have while looking at the gradebook stuff. Then I went to get my gradebook out of the bag, and noticed my phone charger and remembered that my battery was probably flat. So, I plugged it in in the kitchen, and then noticed all the pictures on the wall (a specific wall that we use like other people use fridge doors for displaying artwork) were spring and summer ones. So, I took them down. Then I decorated it with autumn colors, with pictures, fabric, and silk leaves. It looks nice. It also took about an hour and a half, and now the kids are going to bed. I never changed their sheets...I changed DD's pillowcase, though. Oh, and my hot drink is cold. And the microwave is still broken. I guess I'll just drink it cold...

11:20
I've gotten half-way through the second set of 25 students. DH says he'll help me in a minute. I keep on getting lost between looking at their marks on the screen and entering them in ink in the gradebook. I just need him to read the marks out to me in order, so I can write them down. The only reason I haven't quit yet is because getting out of bed would be too difficult, what with the cables for the laptop and his work laptop and the modem stick thing all stretched across the bed, and DH has been downloading stuff again so he's using up all the bandwidth we have.

Nifferka
10-30-10, 02:54 PM
11:50 DH helped me and I'm done with the grade book!

Nifferka
10-30-10, 03:15 PM
So, how was my productive day? Not fantastically productive in terms of crossing stuff off my list--I did laundry, swapped out summer and winter clothes, and did the grade-book. But it wasn't a wasted day, and it wasn't a bad day.

As with most things, I turn to my DH and ask him his opinion. What did I accomplish today?

"A lot of laundry, sorting your clothes, changing kitchen colors--which is useful in the sense of it being something which bugs you, and the knock-on effect is positive for me--making pizza, meatballs and bread, and doing your school gradebook stuff."

What should I have done that I didn't do, regardless of what was on my list?

"Napped, showered, interacted with your children, I don't know. Just finish up so I can go to sleep."

So, I guess that's it. :) It was nice to have this thread here today, though. It didn't motivate me that much, but it reminded me all day that there was stuff I had to do, so some of it actually got done.

Hearty Soul
10-30-10, 09:39 PM
I was very happy the way I ran errands today! Now I am resting, but my plans for tomorrow are:

- Start with an early walk in the morning,
- then prepare new Frittatta recipe for brunch
- Three wash loads
- Mail gifts I bought for a relative's new-borns which I bought 2 weeks ago!
- clear up some of the mail on the desk
- read a couple of chapters in a new book
- go for a yoga class
- go out to dinner

:)

Sadly, today was not as good as yesterday :(

I was able to take care of three errands out of eight!:(

I blame it on not having slept well...my cpap mask kept leaking air, I ate before going to bed which made me see bad dreams, went to be at midnight instead of 11 pm...which I have noticed it makes a big difference on how I wake up and I perform when I stay later than 11 pm.

You are doing great. Keep up the good efforts :)

I found this thread incentive though I could not do everything, but I am alert to what I need to do.

stef
10-31-10, 03:20 PM
Nifferka that is A LOT of stuff! I don't remember ever getting that much done in one day when my son was little. certainly not baking bread.
that freaking drying rack, there is just no room for those things!
goodness I wish there was internet back then. (early 1990's...)

Hearty Soul
10-31-10, 04:33 PM
So, how was my productive day? Not fantastically productive in terms of crossing stuff off my list--I did laundry, swapped out summer and winter clothes, and did the grade-book. But it wasn't a wasted day, and it wasn't a bad day.

As with most things, I turn to my DH and ask him his opinion. What did I accomplish today?

"A lot of laundry, sorting your clothes, changing kitchen colors--which is useful in the sense of it being something which bugs you, and the knock-on effect is positive for me--making pizza, meatballs and bread, and doing your school gradebook stuff."

What should I have done that I didn't do, regardless of what was on my list?

"Napped, showered, interacted with your children, I don't know. Just finish up so I can go to sleep."

So, I guess that's it. :) It was nice to have this thread here today, though. It didn't motivate me that much, but it reminded me all day that there was stuff I had to do, so some of it actually got done.

Good for you :)

I am glad that your DH remembers what you did. That is a great accomplishment. Keept it going.

Your thread was an incentive to me. You had to do all that, then I can do what I have to do too.:)

Nifferka
11-01-10, 03:05 PM
Nifferka that is A LOT of stuff! I don't remember ever getting that much done in one day when my son was little. certainly not baking bread.

Ah, yes, but did you notice--I basically ignored my kids all day. :o Once DH came back from his meeting that morning, he played with the kids, fed them, did schoolwork with them, got them to sleep--he was a single parent.

Oh, and I could make bread in my sleep. I make it all the time. That loaf was gone by the next evening. I used to measure back when I first started cooking, but now I just do it by feel. (Still can't make a baguette, though...I think I need French flour...and French water...and a French boulanger's brain...)

that freaking drying rack, there is just no room for those things!

Oh I know, there's never a good place for it. :rolleyes: But at least its awkwardness means I don't forget there are clothes to be dealt with.

I am glad that your DH remembers what you did. That is a great accomplishment.

My DH is wonderful, and I don't deserve him. But he couldn't exactly forget what I was doing Saturday, 'cause I kept on talking about it every time I saw him! :p

We have DS do this on purpose sometimes. We tell him to get dressed, and to say "I'm getting dressed" over and over again until he's done it. It helps (most of the time) to prevent him from forgetting what he's doing half-way through.

Kasechka
03-23-11, 02:47 PM
Nifferka, what the heck are you doing in Taj---?

Life is so tough there, you've got to congratulate yourself for getting anything done. When I was a grad student in Uz-- we had the "1 thing a day" rule so as not to get too frustrated.