View Full Version : Weaning myself off simple carbs

Jett
10-30-10, 05:58 PM
I have a weight issue. I am obese. I have read about what others have written here about the simple carbs being bad for you. The problem is that they are highly addictive. I notice that when I eat simple carbs, such as bread, sugary cereal, or anything with lots of table sugar or corn syrup, that it increases my appetite. I crave sugar a lot though and last night I had an intense craving for candy so I bought a 6 oz bag and ate the entire thing in one sitting. I am miserable until I get the foods I crave. It's just as strong, if not stronger, than the craving smokers get when they go a long time without a cigarette. I know because I also smoke. I feel as if I am digging myself an early grave, and I know it is bad, and that I overeat and eat the wrong things, and I know all about portion control. Yes, I do know that I need to seriously limit portions but I am not satisfied and crave even more.

I also want to quit smoking but think that taking on both at the same time is unrealistic and setting myself up for failure.

So I am wondering if cutting out the simple carbs will help me a lot with my huge appetite and help me lose weight. I am over 100 lbs overweight, and do not want to resort to surgery.

Also if someone can give me a sample meal plan, as what to eat for breakfast, lunch, etc that would be helpful. Additionally, my appetite is under control through out the day because of the adderall and having things to keep me occupied, but at night when the meds wear off, my appetite is out of control. I also have anxiety and at night, I think about my problems and worries a lot more and am too tired to do much except sedentary activities like being on the computer or watching tv. That hurts a lot. It's like a have this huge compulsion to eat, very much the same way a heavy smoker has a compulsion to light up cigarettes frequently. Help! Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

lynette19775
11-26-10, 04:54 PM
Hi there!!!

I have similar problems with carbs. I have to say that any time I have been on a low-carb diet, I have lost weight quickly and have definitely felt better! My problem is STAYING on the diet. As I am definitely addicted to carbs, they haunt my dreams and somehow I come running back to them in times of crisis.

The good thing I have noticed about being on a low-carb diet is that gradually, the cravings for carbs DO start to diminish. Actually, my appetite in general diminished. However, it just seems like whenever I slipped and ate some bday cake at a party or something, I was back on the carb train in no time at all.

Last Wednesday, I was prescribed Adderall for my ADD. I'm hoping that as an added benefit, this will help give me a handle on my impulsive eating. I've been reading that ADD can also contribute to binge eating, as we are easily bored, easily stressed out, and very prone to turn to whatever will help those feelings fade. So I'm hoping the meds will have a two-fold benefit. Helping to control my ADHD on one hand, and helping me get a grip on my food issues, on the other.

I'm hoping that I can get back to my low-carb diet because I do feel so great on it. A simple menu plan I used to follow was something like this:

Breakfast: Two eggs and bacon or sausage. A piece of fruit (optional, if you are going REALLY low carb. Fruit does have quite a few carbs, but they are good for you).

Lunch: Grilled chicken salad, with big chunks of chicken, and lots of veggies. Ranch dressing is low in carbs if you want a low-carb dressing choice.

Dinner: Grilled steak or round beef. Lots of veggies. Fruit (again, optional).

Nuts are a good choice for a snack in between meals, because they are low in carbs. Also, veggies of any kind also make a good choice, of course.

Good luck to you in your quest and if you stumble on any good tips, please pass them on to me! =] All the best to you!!!

ibisibis
12-13-10, 04:17 AM
If you are addicted to carbs, you will experience some kind of withdrawl symptoms from them and intense cravings. However, if you recognise this and are prepared for it, that helps.

But, once you get over this phase (3 days maybe?) your cravings for carbohydrates tend to disappear, which makes the whole thing easier.

If you think it would be too difficult to cut out all carbs immediately, start with having a carb-free evening meal and then gradually a carb-free lunch as well and then breakfast.

Eating nuts and seeds instead of sweets helps when you want to snack. The hardest I find is breakfast and lunch...sometimes time is at a premium and a sandwich is so easy to buy, but a low-carb alternative is not. Also, avoid junk or pre-packaged low-carb products, try to stick to home made, healthy 'real' food.

ibisibis
02-11-11, 11:17 AM
I also forgot to mention above, that it helps to write down everything that you are eating as a way of controlling your intake. I really hope that this helps you.

---------------
postalgold (http://www.postalgold.ie/)

After50
02-11-11, 02:05 PM
First, your body requires a certain amount of calories to maintain it's weight. These are your maintenance calories. Anytime your extended daily caloric intake is less than your maintenance calorie requirement, you will lose weight. Diet is the cornerstone of any weight loss program. Everything else is an enhancement to the diet.

Simple carbs are not all that bad but they do act like rocket fuel in the body. If you eat them before an intense exercise period, they will be used to fuel the body. If you eat them to the end of the evening when you are sedentary and at your caloric maximum, they will be stored as fat.

Excess fat calories are stored as excess fat calories on a one to one ratio. About 1/3 of the excess calories of protein and carbohydrates are used by the body to rearrange them into fat. Having a low fat diet goes hand in hand with a low carb diet.

If you haven't been eating healthy for an extended period of time, your body will confuse thirst with hunger. I'm not saying to substitute water when you are hungry but try drinking water before munching away.

As a rule of thumb, whatever your target weight is that is how many grams of protein you should try to consume every day. Fill the rest in with complex carbohydrates.

If you want to lose 1lb a week, figure on eating approx 700 calories/day less than what your body needs to maintain its current weight.

Exercise will enhance your weight loss success but it is not a license to eat away. It takes me 60 minutes to burn approx 850 calories on the elliptical. 2.5 cans of regular soda during the same day will negate any benefits from the aerobics.

Make friends with raw veggies. Cabbage, carrots, etc have almost 0 nutritional value after being digested.

After you lose about 75lbs you will hit a stage where you are extremely hungry and I mean all you can do is thin about food. That is because although you may have lost about 75lbs, your stomach hasn't caught up to the 75lb loss and still the same size as what it was. If you give in now yo will gain those original 75 back plus. This is th roughest time period of weight loss for those with a bunch of weight.

Start walking with a goal of 4 miles/day. When you reach that start walking twice a day. You don't have to join a gym to lose weight or have expensive equipment. Just a good pair of sneakers.

In June of 09, I weighed over 425lbs. This morning I weighed in at 270. It can be done if you want it bad enough.

Good Luck and let me know if I can help.

If your a guy over 40, pm for additional info about weight loss in middle aged men. Been there done that.